Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega, Tomahawk, or Longbow?

Omega, Tomahawk, or Longbow?

Toying with the idea of "investing" in one of the later Brum Webleys. What I'd be looking for is the best practical shooting proposition for informal target shooting and perhaps some light pest control. So it needs to be reliable, accurate, and as little hold-sensitive as possible, and to handle well with a small scope in low mounts.

I don't want an Eclipse, because of issues with the alloy cylinder; because it looks funny; and because I already have three HW77s.

I discount the Tommie, because it is a big old 20 ft/lb lump that surely can't be at its best sub-12 without major re-engineering.

So it comes down to Omega (especially the carbine) versus Longbow. Which is where I'm stumped. I think the Longbow ought to be the better design, with a better stock, a better trigger and possibly a better barrel. But as a long-term FWB Sport fan, the Omega has a powerful appeal.

Which is "best"? How much separates them in practice? Anyone have experience of both to share?

(And yes, in an ideal world, I'd get both!)

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Toying with the idea of "investing" in one of the later Brum Webleys. What I'd be looking for is the best practical shooting proposition for informal target shooting and perhaps some light pest control. So it needs to be reliable, accurate, and as little hold-sensitive as possible, and to handle well with a small scope in low mounts.

I don't want an Eclipse, because of issues with the alloy cylinder; because it looks funny; and because I already have three HW77s.

I discount the Tommie, because it is a big old 20 ft/lb lump that surely can't be at its best sub-12 without major re-engineering.

So it comes down to Omega (especially the carbine) versus Longbow. Which is where I'm stumped. I think the Longbow ought to be the better design, with a better stock, a better trigger and possibly a better barrel. But as a long-term FWB Sport fan, the Omega has a powerful appeal.

Which is "best"? How much separates them in practice? Anyone have experience of both to share?

(And yes, in an ideal world, I'd get both!)
    All guns mentioned are top quality, having owned both a brum longbow & an omega I have to say it's a close call, but for me I'd go for the longbow as it's easier to work on,the trigger unit is a cassette type as opposed to the omega's being a bit of a ball ache to re assemble.
    Regards Graham

Tough call. Personally, I would go for a good quality Omega. O.K. they are not as easy to strip but how many times do you expect to be puling it apart?

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I to have all the models and if i have to choose it be the longbow in 22

Although the Omega can be regarded as a classic already, and was a huge improvement over the Vulcans in terms of breech set-up and trigger, personally I'd plump for a Brummy Longbow, as it benefitted from input from the Venom team. Nicer trigger and I much prefer the stock.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I have owned all three. Currently a Longbow owner 8 years, will never sell. Tom was based on mach1 co- designed by Venom team and is a 20+ ftlb rifle. Longbow is shortened action christened baby Tom at the factory and better suited to 12 but still has the envious pedigree and epic build/fit/finish of Tom and with a better barrel. Although it hasn't much in common I like to think of Longbow as Omega mkII with improved stock and trigger. Best 12 ftlb BB ever made and the prettiest by far.

There is a walnut Tom in secondhand. They're not as big as you'd think, especially the later rifles with 13" Walther barrel.
    Edit: too late!

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    There is a walnut Tom in secondhand. They're not as big as you'd think, especially the later rifles with 13" Walther barrel.
    Edit: too late!
    Wouldn't expect such a jewel to hang around long! I have reduced my BrumBow horde to 7 rifles now with a mixture of calibres and stocks.

I personally prefer the BrumBow in 0.22 but put a nice Walther barreled 0.177 with stroke increased by 6mm in an SE (Brum designed!) stock and you have a luvverly rifle! One of my favourites is a 0.177 with blended (Cobra style) silencer and stroke increased to 6mm with a modified glided piston. It's what a UK spec Tommy should have been but without all the additional cylinder length!

See http://freepdfhosting.com/23f262c7e3.pdf

The one I refer to above is Top RH and I no longer have the 4 in the group above the bottom row!

I also now have Venon Sidewinder to keep the Cobra company, great rifles on the range but the BrumBow for me every time if I have to lug it about!

Missed out on the Omegas back in the day and bought one a while back to satisfy my nostalgia - soon sold it as not a patch on a BrumBow!

Oh; the Turkbows ain't half bad once properly fettled!

Happy BrumBowing

atvb
    David
    Recovering BrumBowholic
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Webley

I to have owned all 3. Longbow for me also then the tommy...not a fan of the omega very sorry to say. A nice tuned Brumbow could just be the best med weight sporter out there. Mach 1.5

177 brumbow

my brumbow in wallnut 177 cal in the sales section

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Omega.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

only fired Omega and Longbow,Longbow much better to shoot and look at .....

Later Tommies have been shortstroked to cope with 12Ftp better. Making them virtually the same as Lb except for webley barrel.
    Imo tommys are quite hold sensitive. Their webley barrels can be véry pellet picky as well (I own 3).
    From those 2, I'd pick the Lb.
    The Omega: precedes the Venom cooporation. That will make it 'less' refined. Also, iirc, it has a trigger similar to the Patriots. Styling and safetywise etc, it ís just a 'little'Patriot.
    Allthough they áre older than the Lb and maybe therefor more collectable, they might need some servicing first because of age.

Bút why dont you take a Stingray? Imo less hold sensitive, light and compact, great for both plinking and pest control.
    Véry nice rifles, especially in carbine trim.
    ATB,
    yana

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post

Bút why dont you take a Stingray? Imo less hold sensitive, light and compact, great for both plinking and pest control.
    Véry nice rifles, especially in carbine trim.
    Yes, in .22, I totally agree the Stingrays (original Brum ones that is), are lovely rifles to shoot. I have had three in .22, including the carbine, which like you I favour. BUT (and its a BIG but), being basically a mildly up-dated Vulcan (which is similarly superb in .22), when in .177, imo, the Stingray (and lesser spec Xocet version), along with all the Vulcans (Mk.I, Mk.II and Mk.III), are far too jerky and jumpy to enjoy shooting unless the power is lowered to under 9ft.lb.

This is because of the reduced body tube's swept volume that the Vulcan/Stingray/Exocet et al have compared to the Omega, the Tommy, and the Longbow. I have had seven such Vulcan/Stingray/Exocet variants in .177, so do speak with some authority. At 9ft.lb in .177 however, all in the Vulcan/Stingray/Exocet family are as enjoyable to shoot as their full-hop .22 counterparts. Having greater swept compression volumes however, as indicated, in .177 the Omega, Tommy and Longbow are all a joy to shoot in .177 right up to the 12ft.lb barrier (but I still favour the Omega).

Hope this helps (but am expecting a string of 'outraged from Outragedville' replies, here, lol ). Cheers: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

Hope this helps (but am expecting a string of 'outraged from Outragedville' replies, here, lol ). Cheers: G.
    Ive moved so you will get no aggro from me as Im a devout Omega fan.
    With an adjustable gas ram, http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=92not to be confused with the far inferior gas strut, its one of the best airgun Ive ever shot, yes, including Venom!
    Just a pity its not got a Rekord unit.

ATB
    Ian (wearing his flak jacket)
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk