Thread: Springer hold

Springer hold

I thought id run a few shots over the chrono with my Hw98 this slow saturday afternoon.

Most shots were within a few FPS of 760fps, lovely and consistant.

I thought id try varying they way i held the rifle over the chrono, i could get as low as 700fps (by holding the rifle very tightly), i was amazed the difference hold had on the fps, i have seen the practical effects of a tight hold on my rifle (shotgun groups), but i didnt expect to loose 1ftlb by holding it tight !

Springers never cease to amaze me.

Mart.

Never heard of this before..! I don't see how it's possible. Was it a Combro, or a free standing chrono? Off to the range with the TX tomorrow..!
    Gus.
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Combro, pretty sure the results could be duplicated with a free standing chrono though. I can remember an AGW article a few years back about it, venom were involved.

Mart.

Does a Combro fit to the end of the gun barrel? If so it does seem pretty weird for this to happen. Could it be that holding the gun extra tight is allowing more of the 'jump' from the springer to be sent into the combro? Maybe that is causing the combro to give an erroneous reading. Dunno, weird one like.

Sub Sea Sniper
    . . .and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever.

Thats a quite normal behavior af most springguns. surely a crono is not the best thing to measure V0 on a springer (moves with the gun) but it gives a good idea of the real V0 which realy changes holding it more or less tight.

ATB MOA

From what Sub Sea and MOA are saying, if the gun recoils forwards after the pellet passes over the first sensor, but before it passes over the second, the relative distance between them is greater, so you get a lower reading?
    The chances of this happening must be minute, surely?
    Let's ask Robbinghewitt.
    Gus

Edit "..... lower reading." or id it the other way round?
    Last edited by Gwylan; 23-07-2005 at 08:26 PM.

Mart,
    Try it on the club chrono tomorrow matey

Will do mate, im sure its a known querk. The difference in hold was quite dramatic btw to get the lowest reading, butt held tight into my shoulder and the rifle gripped. "normal" hold (which gives an average FPS reading) is much slacker, letting the rifle recoil freely.

Mart.

Dave. Guest
    Just tried it with mine, as you say varies by quite a bit depending on hold. Never noticed it before.

Tried it today with my extra heavy TX200, and got a 15fps variation between a loose and tight hold. (free standing chrono.) The only thing I can think of is the loose hold recoil allows the gun to flip forward, adding to the MV, whereas a tight hold restrains it. You learn something new every day..!
    Gus