Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Rare Air Pistols

Hi,

Apart from the air pistols, there are also some interesting modifications to BSA air rifles.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...8-a50800e2c45d

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...4-a50800e2c5aa

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...b-a50800e2c742

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

Apart from the air pistols, there are also some interesting modifications to BSA air rifles.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...8-a50800e2c45d

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...4-a50800e2c5aa

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...b-a50800e2c742

Regards

Brian
    Can't believe someone has ruined a perfectly good A Series by adding a potentially illegal ether injection system

John

ether injection

Now that should be FUN, ive heard of Barracudas bulging the cylinders so i think its safe to assume this one hasnt had too much use.
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Can't believe someone has ruined a perfectly good A Series by adding a potentially illegal ether injection system

John
    Not sure if this would be practical for injecting ether. 3-in-1 oil maybe?

Certainly one of the more interesting of these models.

L . Wesley includes this passage in his Air Guns and Air Pistols book.

“ I once designed a gadget that could be fitted to any underlever air-rifle, which would produce this diesel action continuously without any harmful effects on the rifle.
    It consisted of a small cylinder and piston and a tiny reservoir which held about a thimbleful of thin oil. There were also two very fine tubes with the ends set at right angles to one another in a similar way to the nozzle of a scent spray. It was arranged in such a way that the action of cocking the rifle caused the small piston to blow air drawn down one of these tubes and oil to rise in the other one. When this oil was met by the air it was atomised and injected directly into the cylinder of the air rifle. Best results were obtained when only one drop of oil was injected for each cocking of the air rifle. Various kinds of oil were tried, and maximum power was found to be nearly three times the normal performance. The device was made and fitted purely for experimental use and is never likely to be commercially made as it would produce power in excess of allowed standards”.

So, not much new under the sun.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    L . Wesley includes this passage in his Air Guns and Air Pistols book.

“ I once designed a gadget that could be fitted to any underlever air-rifle, which would produce this diesel action continuously without any harmful effects on the rifle.
    It consisted of a small cylinder and piston and a tiny reservoir which held about a thimbleful of thin oil. There were also two very fine tubes with the ends set at right angles to one another in a similar way to the nozzle of a scent spray. It was arranged in such a way that the action of cocking the rifle caused the small piston to blow air drawn down one of these tubes and oil to rise in the other one. When this oil was met by the air it was atomised and injected directly into the cylinder of the air rifle. Best results were obtained when only one drop of oil was injected for each cocking of the air rifle. Various kinds of oil were tried, and maximum power was found to be nearly three times the normal performance. The device was made and fitted purely for experimental use and is never likely to be commercially made as it would produce power in excess of allowed standards”.

So, not much new under the sun.

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian,

John Atkins once featured pictures of a Webley Senior fitted with one of Les Wesley's gadgets. I wonder if the BSA was fitted with a rifle version. I still say it has spoilt a classic BSA though.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    A bit of a feast for collectors of airguns, particularly Gems and other rare pre war examples, many of which will not be seen together in one place again. Fortunately for me A & G is quite local so I get to view most of their sales. I learned a long time ago not to take too much notice of the estimates but it may be time to raid the piggy bank again, there are a few things that tickle my fancy.
    I've seen reference to the vendor, David Swan, several times in the past when doing research on some of my guns but otherwise don't know of him. He's certainly put together an impressive collection so I assume he's well known.
    Mel.
    Hi Mel,

Think I spotted a couple JM Gems in the mix...inc a No4 or 5 Marck combination Gem in 9mm (but assume it is missing the 4.5mm liner?)

Quote Originally Posted by draitzer View Post
    There are some really unusual items in this one!
    Note that the Quackenbush bicycle rifle is a rimfire; they're scarce but not super-rare in the U.S., may be a different story in the UK.

Don R.
    Thanks Don, I hadn't realised that!...When I saw the wire stock I was actually thinking of the gun that was given free with the purchase of a windmill, and I now think that was actually Daisy of some sort instead?...heheh, I know bugger all about American guns
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Brian,

John Atkins once featured pictures of a Webley Senior fitted with one of Les Wesley's gadgets. I wonder if the BSA was fitted with a rifle version. I still say it has spoilt a classic BSA though.

John
    Hi John,

I recall reading an article in one of the air gun magazines at some time which referred to limited production of a German air rifle which used an ether injection system. The article suggested that although the power increase was dramatic, it was too punishing on the internals of the rifle and of course would not have been legal in all countries.

Regards

Brian

What a Collection

What am amazing collection of airguns .
    Sort of puts a downer on the all the internet clowns who argue black is blue that their Webley Premier is 'rare' and priced at $$$ .
    This man Swann has had his airguns featured by Atkins ( I remember Gems specifically ) ...and that disc firing Bugelspanner .
    I only hope Mr Atkins has been able to access all these other rareities to catalogue them for our future interest .......at our age , the few 'real' collectors on this forum will never see the like of this assortment at one tim a in one place again . 10 years from now it will all be Umarex and .......

for anyone interested

I was told last week much of the information contained herein from a collector friend particularly about his love of music boxes, but there was rather too much to write down, but its now appeared on the net so for anyone interested about David Swan, have a read.
    http://www.andersonandgarland.com/La...wan-collection
    rgds
    eric

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    I was told last week much of the information contained herein from a collector friend particularly about his love of music boxes, but there was rather too much to write down, but its now appeared on the net so for anyone interested about David Swan, have a read.
    http://www.andersonandgarland.com/La...wan-collection
    rgds
    eric
    Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing the interesting background information relating to David Swan and his amazing collection.

Regards

Brian

more

More here Brian if you care to read from para 10 onwards,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...r4Gx0HQBl0EsWw

eric
    Last edited by shabee; 10-09-2015 at 06:04 AM.

david swan

Hi all,I've just returned from viewing the David Swan collection,FANTASTIC !! I had the chance to see his collection about 2 years ago.I was outbid on a Webley Service at a local auction and after the sale I got into conversation with the buyer who turned out to be David Swan.We discussed our collections,he was interested in a few of my guns ( IIRC,Ansonia,MGR Dolphin,EMG Krone repeater,Apache Fireball,and my Abas pistols)He invited me to view his collection,and I said I would bring them with me.He gave me his phone no.which I took home ,put in a (safe place) and never found again.
    I will be viewing again,and attending the auction,if any members would like me to check any details for them,please PM me.(DCL Dave,----lots of Gems)

ATB Ray

Hi Ray

Can you make some room in your inbox please

You must be very popular right now

inbox cleared

as above