Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lots of Rare Air Pistols

Am thinking it is a good job I don't have much money in the bank at the mo. Would be nice to go up to the auction though, the good old overdraft is there to be used!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
    Am thinking it is a good job I don't have much money in the bank at the mo. Would be nice to go up to the auction though, the good old overdraft is there to be used!!!
    A prominent collector once told me if an opportunity like this arises, it is worth re-mortgaging the house or using that overdraft to acquire rarities you may otherwise spend a lifetime looking for. I guess this option is really for the very keen and probably best left unexplained to spouses!

...Not that I'm recommending a secret buying spree behind the wife's back of course

John

What they don't know won't hurt them, thank god I didn't agree to have a joint bank account.
    I don't know enough about old airguns to make any informed buying decisions. Would most likely go for odd looking guns and ones with some nice scroll work/engravings. The W&S mk. 2 service would also be a nice addition to the gun cabinet, as granddad's old service rifle was a used and abused by three generations of the family.

I would love to bid on two or three of these pistols but having never got involved in auctions like this before it all seems a bit arcane to me. I'm also a bit concerned about VCR hassles involved in having them delivered if I was successful. I will have to investigate further I think!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I would love to bid on two or three of these pistols but having never got involved in auctions like this before it all seems a bit arcane to me. I'm also a bit concerned about VCR hassles involved in having them delivered if I was successful. I will have to investigate further I think!
    The auction house does not deliver directly and recommends buyers arrange a courier, so please let us know if you can find a suitable one. All this has to be factored in when placing a bid.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    The auction house does not deliver directly and recommends buyers arrange a courier, so please let us know if you can find a suitable one. All this has to be factored in when placing a bid.

John
    That is starting to become issue now with auction houses on delivery of airguns, l phoned up last week to a courier who used to deliver airguns only to be told that they don't do it anymore.

well the courier the auction house recommends specifically prohibit "Firearms, weaponry, ammunition and their parts" so that's out.

It looks to me as thought TNT might accept air weapons, but they don't pack, and nor do the auction house.

Basically unless you can collect in person its pretty difficult to see how you are going to be able to bid on this one?

david swan collection

Hi, All, I was at Anderson and Garland today, two senior members of staff told me their courier WILL, collect, wrap, and deliver, PISTOLS ONLY,the couriers rep dealing with the auction house is Andrew Makepiece, Mailbox express, tel no 01915805500. He was at the auction house friday, weighting pistols to prepare estimates for US buyers
    atb,Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightonn View Post
    Hi, All, I was at Anderson and Garland today, two senior members of staff told me their courier WILL, collect, wrap, and deliver, PISTOLS ONLY,the couriers rep dealing with the auction house is Andrew Makepiece, Mailbox express, tel no 01915805500. He was at the auction house friday, weighting pistols to prepare estimates for US buyers
    atb,Ray.
    Thanks Ray.

I have used. Any branches of mailboxes across the UK for collecting of airguns and have never had a problem at all, would rather use them over the sale room.com own option which is both expensive and slow.

carriers at auction

Well between a rock and a hard place ....I once got a super quote from one Mailbox branch operating at one location and then another at a differing location .
    In fact it was horrific for one item ..I complained about the disparity - I did get a small discount ...but .....They are all seperate businesses with different overheads so ...maybe ....but nearly TWICE ....No .

Mailboxes

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Ray.
    Mailboxes will send any air weapons within the EU. Outside the EU will be pistols only due to size and weight. It will take time as I think it has to go via shipping freight.

Waahooo !!

That was exciting!!

Todays Auction

Does anyone agree, if today's airguns were auction by Holt's Auctioneers the average hammer price would of been significantly higher??

not sure they would have been

Quote Originally Posted by brutale View Post
    Does anyone agree, if today's airguns were auction by Holt's Auctioneers the average hammer price would of been significantly higher??
    Most of the auction lots i viewed went to internet bidders so it wouldnt have mattered who auctioned them i guess.
    eric