Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol shooting.

Pistol shooting.

Having just got back from the range shooting the Luger 9mm pistol with my grandson (Canada) thought I might take it up when I get home, black powder of course, so question.

What's a decent starter set up, cost/ type calibre. John
    snarepeg.

Lots of choices and probably cheeper than you would think. Best advice would be to find a local club that shoots
    pistols and go have a look. A black powder revolver or single shot muzzleloader can be had for £250 ish or you
    can spend ten times if you've got deep pockets. Theres also nitro conversions around so no smelly cleaning but
    these tend to be more expensive. Theres also a range of long barrelled revolvers in .22 rimfire upto .45LC which
    although they have 12" barrels and a wrist brace are quite well balanced and use cartridges as per the Luger
    you mentioned.
    Getting your licence assuming you don't have one can be a long drawn out affair so plenty of time to ponder on
    what you want, first thing is to join a local club and start getting involved with pistol shooting probably with an
    air pistol. Once you have served a probation period and got full membership you will be able to apply for your
    ticket which is when you will need a clear idea of what you want to get.
    A starter set up £300 to £600 depending on make/type of pistol in .36 or .44/45 calibre. Theres no real cost
    difference in buying a .36 to a .44 but .44 balls do cost slightly more i would imagine. I make all my own so have
    no real idea what they cost. You could simply go for a .357 LBR and get into home loading or the same gun in
    .22rf and use cheep bought ammo. Loads of choices to be made.
    Have fun and let us know which way you go. Tim

Not much to add to Tim's excellent advice, except to say that there are often great bargainous deals out there from shooters who are giving up or changing direction. Last year one of our members got hold of a VERY nice Pietta Remington Model 1858, complete with EVERYTHING ready to shoot right there and then, for £250.00, bought from a giver-upper.

One more thing - although there are license-free BP subs out there - I shoot them myself - trust me when I say that there really is nothing like the real black stuff. It's true to note that the correct and LEGAL storage box is necessary, but the plans are on line if you are handy, and they are only around £70-90 if you have to buy one. The license is currently free -

https://www.herts.police.uk/PDF/fire...age_advice.pdf

None of the subs need any kind of license; you are authorised to purchase them only because you have a FAC. Same goes for percussion caps. If you go for a single-shot flintlock, however, a trip to the local beach anywhere in North Norfolk will set you up in flint for the foreseeable future.

You might like to read the many millions of posts here with regard to THE definitive mother-of-all-BP-revolvers, the built like ten tanks Ruger Old Army - a 44 or 45cal revolver that your great-great grandchildren might still be shooting. Needs ever-deepening pockies, though - as prices are on the up for this no-longer-made Rolls-Royce handgun.

tac

And you can shoot breech loading pistols on Section 7:3. I don't know why more people don't do it.

Be careful though - the one thing those above haven't mentioned is that it can be addictive!

The smell, the boom, the smoke - all make the grime worth while!
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    And you can shoot breech loading pistols on Section 7:3. I don't know why more people don't do it.
    I have some lovely old 'Obsolete-Cal' revolvers, but being antiques, it would cost too much to insure to have them stored in a club safe. But perhaps clubs could pool the members and buy-in some of the less expensive classic pieces for 'occassional test firing' ? A few years of doing this, (along with the safe use of LBR's) we would have a case to ask, justify the ongoing cartridge pistol-ban ?

Second what Tac' says, get a Ruger Old Army, nothing like it will be made again and to a degree they are investments if looked after, prices of good ones are tracking up here. Looked after, they will surely last forever. When fed right, reputedly more accurate than any other pistol of any type.

There's so much to choose from with percussion muzzle-loaders, from the little 31 cal 'pocket' muzzle loaders which are a hoot, up to the mighty Walker, taking up to 60 grains of Black Powder. I love these so much I have two, one I am having 'Smithed to lock the Loading Lever Dragoon-style and shoot Point-Of-Aim. A full cylinder of true Black Powder and a 460 Round Ball generate a truly, unbelievable experience. Totally impractical but more addictive than coke. To touch one of these off unexpectedly in a packed indoor range brings mirth and merriment to all...

Long Barrel Revolvers. It's all we have now for Centerfire handgun. What did the Legislators achieve? Well that's a discussion for another day. But they are fun and allow one to explore the full Home-Reloading experience. The LBR's with the 12-inch barrels and the permanently attached wrist-brace (to make the legal 2-feet length) are popular, but many are finding the 18-inch barrelled 'Buntline' style 'proper' Revolvers a more pure experience. The longer LBR's will never be winning quick-draw prizes, but are, rather counter-intuitively, easier to hold rock-steady on aim and can reach out very far with rifle-like levels of velocity with the right load. I have started to see other makers (eg Rugers) now appearing with full-length (eg 18") barrels to be a 'normal' non-wrist-braced Revolver. There's clearly a market, and new competitions for this class are appearing - more power to this.

Where is my new 18" 500 S&W? ;-)
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..

Thanks gents for all your input.
    I have been shooting for 60 odd years, have done black powder front stuffing shotgun.
    Have a black powder box made, pistol moulds in 36 calibre somewhere, (makes nice catty ammunition.)
    Havnt shot pistol since the army a long time ago but fancy another avenue to explore.
    Have a black powder pistol club etc quite local and know some of the lads so a trip will be arranged on my return.
    Thanks again to all for your input. John
    snarepeg.

First time

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Be careful though - the one thing those above haven't mentioned is that it can be addictive!

The smell, the boom, the smoke - all make the grime worth while!
    Everyone remembers their first time at anything, first breath underwater, first solo flight, first shag. I watch our new members firing their first blackpowder gun and every single one of them goes from abject terror as they point the fire breathing monster downrange and pull the trigger, to a grin that's become known as the blackpowder grin!!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

My last day tomorrow and going to a gun show near Ottawa, could be interesting as everything on the tables to look at.

Ruger s galore☺️☺️☺️. And I won't be buying one over here, but hope to look and handle some.

Should take the I pad for some photos.

Just been down onto the dock fishing and had a very nice chocolate Mink for company, it's taken about 20 gobies to a litter under the steps, also been into the tackle box for a sniff, it would get short thrift round the pheasant pen at home, but certainly interesting to observe. John
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    My last day tomorrow and going to a gun show near Ottawa, could be interesting as everything on the tables to look at.

Ruger s galore☺️☺️☺️. And I won't be buying one over here, but hope to look and handle some.

Should take the I pad for some photos.

Just been down onto the dock fishing and had a very nice chocolate Mink for company, it's taken about 20 gobies to a litter under the steps, also been into the tackle box for a sniff, it would get short thrift round the pheasant pen at home, but certainly interesting to observe. John
    When you get back to Doncaster give me a shout, I go to cadby gun club every Saturday
    I shoot a roger & spencer .44 black powder and a zylab patriot pistol (.32 nitro muzzle loader)
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Thanks for the offer on that,
    Will be in touch when settled back in at home. John
    snarepeg.

Can't resist pointing out that I've got a stainless .45 Ruger Old Army, with all the gear, for sale (due to personal circumstances I just don't get to shoot it any more).....

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Well, Sir, I do.

It's the thought of spending all that money to pay for the privilege of 'visiting rights' to go visit your own handgun, and shoot it under supervision at a non-target [that's prohibited - you can only shoot it with the aim of engaging in 'intellectual discourse of a historically investigative nature'].

That sounds a much fun as being married and visiting your wife every now and then to exercise your marital rights.

If I'm wrong, please tell us what you REALLY do when you shoot your handgun in the interests of technical or historical interest.

tac
    Whilst it isn't the same as pre 97 it isn't as bad as you claim. You are welcome to come to my club and see so that you can get a more balanced opinion.

Tac so your handguns are 4,864 miles from where you live

I have a 7.3 club 5 miles from where I work & 10 miles from where I live

You do know you can even get a Glock 17/19 as a 7.3 & "research the hell out of it" at the range
    I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.
    Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC

I know where tac is coming from, it's my gun, I want it in my safe where I can clean and admire it and I want to let people who I trust shoot it under my supervision!
    Tac is lucky enough to be in a position to be able to afford to go to the states to shoot vurtuly anything he likes, the only other option is to go to France where the gun selection is restricted compared to the USA
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php