Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by xx.Morph.xx View Post
    Tac so your handguns are 4,864 miles from where you live

I have a 7.3 club 5 miles from where I work & 10 miles from where I live

You do know you can even get a Glock 17/19 as a 7.3 & "research the hell out of it" at the range

What a farce that makes of the whole thing.

Whatever happened to the 'pre-1918 pistol of historical or technological significance' requirement?

V. kind of you to take the time to look up how far away I am from my guns, but on this occasion, tou are slightly off - Western Oregon is a lot further away from whwerever it was that you looked at.

Anyhow, I'm deleting my previous posts on this touchy subject, since it appears to have developed into a look what I can do and and you can't nyaaaanyaaaaa, rarher than a post useful to somebody about taking up pistol shooting. I'm sure you agree that there is a whole lot of difference between spending a couple of hundred or so on a BP handgun that you can shoot anytime vis-a-vis a couple of thousand on a single handgun that you need visitation rights to enjoy.

tac

Tac, pre January 1st 1919 manufacture date for handguns is for section 7.1 firearms that can be kept at home as part of a collection (There are other criteria but we are not talking about S7.1 Pistols)

Below is an excerpt for 7.3

"Exact application requirements vary by Police Administration although it is usual that an applicant is to apply for a specific pistol to be granted under s7(3), as opposed to a more open application for a class of firearm allowed with Section 1 applications. Such an application needs to demonstrate that the pistol, as part of a collection, can adequately fulfil any one of the following criteria:

Historical importance
    Aesthetic quality (It is worth noting that there is precedent suggesting that a pistol manufactured after 16th October 1996 cannot be described as having adequate aesthetic quality to qualify)
    Special technical interest
    Particular rarity (i.e. very few were manufactured or survive)

There are no specific requirements that the pistol must be of a particular age or calibre, provided it fulfils the necessary criteria, indeed modern pistols are not ruled out if they are of historic importance."

There are S7.3 pistols for sale starting from £250 (Walther P1 9mm), there is currently a very nice Ruger Redhawk (Stainless model, 7.5" Barrel, Target sight) .44 magnum on sale at a dealer for £549.
    So it is not going to cost you any more than a very good Ruger Old Army to get into S7.3 collecting & Studying
    The main issue is that these would have to be transported via Section 5 courier from the dealer to the S7.3 club/range however if a sale takes place between S7.3 club members of the same club then the firearm stays within the club & no transportation issues.

It may not be ideal or appeal to everyones idea of firearms ownership but it is an option available to those who put a bit of effort in.

I curently have 2 Long Barrel Pistols (.22 (Semi Auto) & .357 (Revolver)) & 3 muzzle loading pistols (Ruger old Army .44, Cattleman (Nitro) in .44 & a Westlake Armscor (Nitro) in.38) I don't currently shoot S7.3 but members of my club do & it is something I am considering.

Of course alternatively you could join a club in Jersey, Northern Ireland or The Isle of Man where they still shoot pistols....But you would still have to leave your gun there!

Anyway sorry to the OP for steering this thread off course & I hope you do get into pistol ownership one way or another.
    I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.
    Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC

Quote Originally Posted by xx.Morph.xx View Post
    Tac, pre January 1st 1919 manufacture date for handguns is for section 7.1 firearms that can be kept at home as part of a collection (There are other criteria but we are not talking about S7.1 Pistols)

Below is an excerpt for 7.3

"Exact application requirements vary by Police Administration although it is usual that an applicant is to apply for a specific pistol to be granted under s7(3), as opposed to a more open application for a class of firearm allowed with Section 1 applications. Such an application needs to demonstrate that the pistol, as part of a collection, can adequately fulfil any one of the following criteria:

Historical importance
    Aesthetic quality (It is worth noting that there is precedent suggesting that a pistol manufactured after 16th October 1996 cannot be described as having adequate aesthetic quality to qualify)
    Special technical interest
    Particular rarity (i.e. very few were manufactured or survive)

There are no specific requirements that the pistol must be of a particular age or calibre, provided it fulfils the necessary criteria, indeed modern pistols are not ruled out if they are of historic importance."

There are S7.3 pistols for sale starting from £250 (Walther P1 9mm), there is currently a very nice Ruger Redhawk (Stainless model, 7.5" Barrel, Target sight) .44 magnum on sale at a dealer for £549.
    So it is not going to cost you any more than a very good Ruger Old Army to get into S7.3 collecting & Studying
    The main issue is that these would have to be transported via Section 5 courier from the dealer to the S7.3 club/range however if a sale takes place between S7.3 club members of the same club then the firearm stays within the club & no transportation issues.

It may not be ideal or appeal to everyones idea of firearms ownership but it is an option available to those who put a bit of effort in.

I curently have 2 Long Barrel Pistols (.22 (Semi Auto) & .357 (Revolver)) & 3 muzzle loading pistols (Ruger old Army .44, Cattleman (Nitro) in .44 & a Westlake Armscor (Nitro) in.38) I don't currently shoot S7.3 but members of my club do & it is something I am considering.

Of course alternatively you could join a club in Jersey, Northern Ireland or The Isle of Man where they still shoot pistols....But you would still have to leave your gun there!

Anyway sorry to the OP for steering this thread off course & I hope you do get into pistol ownership one way or another.

Many thanks for the clarification. something that was totally absent at the time of the hand-in.

I have many handguns in Oregon, and I don't need anybody's authorisation to shoot them either. I've got just two here - an ROA and a Sabre Defence bull-barrelled Super Redhawk. However, like many of the other 57,000-ish totally innocent shooters who were shat on by the government back then, I just can't bring myself to suffer the ignominy of the impositions dumped on me to shoot an everyday ordinary handgun - after all, I already have eighteen S1 guns here in UK - and if I can be trusted with them......?

You can relax, then - you won't be seeing me anytime soon at your club, thanks all the same.

tac
    President of the Vintage Classic Rifle Association of Ireland
    www.vcrai.com
    Last edited by tacfoley; 08-09-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Two years ago, I picked up a Uberti Remington .44 revolver, in S/S, with less than 100 balls fired, for £175 - had to travel to Birmingham for it though, via GunStar advert.
    FAC/Explosive licensing etc a pain, but easy enough, mind you, the box cost more than the gun! Odds and sods (nipple key/cleaning rods etc) about another £30, then just the cost of your powder/balls/percussion caps.

One tip: always carry baby wipes, best thing for cleaning gun, hands and tools in the field !

Go for it...
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

@Duomatic - IF you DO decide to give BP handgun shooting a trial, and it catches your fancy, give earnest consideration to getting into casting your own projectiles, too.

The cost of a hundred .44cal RB is truly horrendous when compared with the cost of making your own. I get around 48 .457cal ball per pound of lead to shoot in my ROA. A pound of lead, pure lead, costs around £1.25 or so, less if you can scrounge it off a builder. Bought ready-made cost around £12-13 a hundred - you do the math.

tac

Thanks for that Tac, yes I would be going the home made rout, have been dropping shot for 50odd years.
    Have lead available and more if required, lead melting facilities etc.
    Have cast before and have some molds.
    Just getting over the jet lag and catching up with jobs.
    Reg. John
    snarepeg.

Quote Originally Posted by duomatic410 View Post
    Thanks for that Tac, yes I would be going the home made rout, have been dropping shot for 50odd years.
    Have lead available and more if required, lead melting facilities etc.
    Have cast before and have some molds.
    Just getting over the jet lag and catching up with jobs.
    Reg. John
    That's good. Lee moulds are great value, and being aluminium, heat up very fast - often the first ball is good enough to keep right away. Around £25 for new is not a bank-breaker - unless you buy a whole set-up, like our friend above recently did, buy new, that way you know that it will be good and has not been abused. Lyman are Rolls Royce product, and cost accordingly - mine are mostly around 40 years old or more, and are still perfect. Here in UK we have a Jeff Tanner, a custom mould maker. I have two of his by default - having acquired them from other shooters - I cannot recommend them enough. Even over on West Coast USA I have friends who use his moulds.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That's good. Lee moulds are great value, and being aluminium, heat up very fast - often the first ball is good enough to keep right away. Around £25 for new is not a bank-breaker - unless you buy a whole set-up, like our friend above recently did, buy new, that way you know that it will be good and has not been abused. Lyman are Rolls Royce product, and cost accordingly - mine are mostly around 40 years old or more, and are still perfect. Here in UK we have a Jeff Tanner, a custom mould maker. I have two of his by default - having acquired them from other shooters - I cannot recommend them enough. Even over on West Coast USA I have friends who use his moulds.

tac
    I have a lyman .32 mould for my patriot pistol, the mould without the handles cost £90, as tac says you get what you pay for but saying that i have used lee moulds that are over 20 years old and a friend has just retired his .44 ball mould after 40 years of use
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Silver Bandit

Often thought about casting my own .454 but have always assumed it was hard to get a uniform lubricant on them? You guys have obviously overcome this problem, what's the best way around it?