Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a real alternative to JSB for Top Accuracy?

Is there a real alternative to JSB for Top Accuracy?

I have a few different guns but always want them to be on one of the JSB derivatives to get the smallest groups. Accupels can be good but I often find there is a marked difference in thumb pressure required to seat them which can't help. I find the same with FTT. Heard good things about Bis Mags but to me they are too heavy for sub 12.
    Any one got something that beats JSB at 35 yards plus?

Edit! Could a kindly Mod please change the title from 'job' to JSB? Bloomin auto word on my phone :-(
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

My 3 all like JSB Exact & JSB Heavy. My HW100 also likes H&N Baracuda Hunter Extreme & Weihrauch Magnums.

My daughters BSA Goldstar likes Daystate Sovereigns and Bisley Magnums.

Although some of these pellets are 10.3/10.4gr (.177), They still do very well at our local range out to 65yrds. I wouldn't say that any of them beat JSB but, they often perform just as well.

We find the JSBs and Sovereigns to be the most consistently reliable.

All of the above.

RWS super fields 8.44 gr are very good ,But as you know every barrel will or can be different

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I have a few different guns but always want them to be on one of the JSB derivatives to get the smallest groups. Accupels can be good but I often find there is a marked difference in thumb pressure required to seat them which can't help. I find the same with FTT. Heard good things about Bis Mags but to me they are too heavy for sub 12.
    Any one got something that beats JSB at 35 yards plus?

Edit! Could a kindly Mod please change the title from 'job' to JSB? Bloomin auto word on my phone :-(
    Try H and N Sniper Medium.

A.G

secretagentmole Guest
    JSB pellets have only been accurate in one gun I have owned, but I bet that Defiant Ogives would have been even more accurate than those, just it came with god knows how many tins of the damned things.

as a benchmark make JSB will be a primary choice to try in any gun.
    As airgun shooters we have a hell of an issue in that we have a huge range of makes and then types and then head size and grain weights....m
    The permutations of finding the right pellet for you barrel are boggling.
    In real life we have limited access to all the products and all the variations otherwise we would forever be chasing our tail trying to find the perfect pellet that the barrel likes.
    Even if you do....there is still variation in die and batches so the perfect dune will always be shifting......
    There are main contenders but until you have cleaned a arrel and put 40 or so shots done to stabalise you just aint going to know.
    Most peeps stop when they get a good group....
    Then there is washing...weighing...lubing and every other ing you care to think of.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

H&N Field Target Trophies run in my guns also very well.

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    JSB pellets have only been accurate in one gun I have owned, but I bet that Defiant Ogives would have been even more accurate than those, just it came with god knows how many tins of the damned things.
    I know the feeling, my Rapid .25 came with a dozen or more tins of H&N, but they were useless (which I think is why he was selling it ) JSB (made) are single hole & all it will shoot.

Is there a real alternative to JSB for Top Accuracy?

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. My pal and I are using JSB - 4.52mm RS, 5.52mm RS and 5.52mm Heavy - in everything now. The only brand that comes close to the Heavy in the gasser is the H&N Sniper Magnum - nothing comes close to the RS in either calibre springer. The rifles in question are, SMK XS78 (.22), AGS SPR-10c (.22), HW80 (.22), Hatsan 55s (.177), HW99s (.177) and HW30s (.177)...

JSB's are OK in my HW100 and Evanix Sniper, however the Sniper prefers Accupells and the HW100 prefers H&N FTT or Accupell FT.

I've seen the same in a number of other rifles (Rotex, Wolverine B, Windy City). The JSBs were good, other pellets just seemed to have the edge.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

In my tx200hc in .177 I have found through extensive accuracy testing for jsbs to be among the least accurate (within reason) between AA Field, falcon accuracy plus, H&N FTT, H&N barracuda hunter extreme, rws super dome and Webley accupel. Of those pellets the only pellet less accurate than the JSB was the super dome but we're still talking inch groups at 35 yards.

A fellow club member gave to me an unopened small cardboard box of 30 year old pellets to try.

I think they were bulldog or something, 200 in a box. At least 20 boxes had been in a loft untouched for all that time

Shooting indoors, my rifle was zeroed at 25 yrds pellet on pellet with jsb exacts.

Have pellets improved or were the pellets of yesteryear as good if not better, time to find out....

The group with the old pellets was approx 4 cm to the right and 4 cm low off zero, with the actual group size approx 2.5 cm in diameter

How did we ever manage to hit anything back in the day?

Thanks for all the replies lads. I wonder if those who have found JSB inaccurate in their guns tried all the derivatives including AA field Daystate sovereign and Falcon accuracy plus?
    Last edited by maximus; 06-09-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Altered to make sense!
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

25 years ago, boxed Crosman 7.9 grain Premier were the business in everything springer/rammer. JSB seem to beat them in all the rifles that I use now...

In answer to the original post; at present, no.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !