Thread: eley shotgun primers

eley shotgun primers

I have just been given 2000 of these. They are not like the modern primers. They resemble the centre components of a modern primer but are too small to fit into the casing of a modern primer. How were they used ??

When the 209 primer was fitted as standard on shotgun cartridges you had to push the primer out of the 209 cup and insert the Eley one. As most decappers were intend for the smaller primer is was necessary to put a small washer under the cartridge to stop the 209 cup being pushed out with the primer.

The primers you have are probably from around the mid 1970's. If they have been stored well they should be alright, but if you are going to use them I would just load a few first to make sure they still go off.

I have over 1000 of them and have no use for them

One of my secondhand MEC 600s (a properly old one, pre-83) had a depriming punch designed for these- threaded rod turned down to a narrower diameter that will go through the flash hole and punch out the primer whilst leaving the cup at least partially in.

Repriming is as per "modern" primers- primer placed in the base and the MEC reseats it.

"Fixed" it by replacing the punch with an inch long grubscrew of the correct thread which of course can't get through the flash hole and knocks the entire thing out.

I have a lot of those..
    Store somewhere dry and safe, you might at some time be glad of them,
    snarepeg.