Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASG. Dan Wesson. Pellet revolver?

ASG. Dan Wesson. Pellet revolver?

Anyone got the 2.5" rifled barrel DW pellet revolver? I know the loading of pellets into the cartridges might be a pain, but I'm still thinking of giving it a go unless I get loads of bad reports. Don't want the BB version. I shoot at 6yd so am hoping the accuracy, shot count, build and reliability are ok? I do like the look of this model but don't have much experience with all the available small revolvers. I do have the Crosman 357/6 by the way. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I've got one (actually I have 4 DWs!) and it is very good. Loading the brass up does take time but the easy fix is to buy more. Initially they seem expensive but they are very good quality and when compared to the price of a piece of custom machined bling (bolt handles, trigger guards etc) they are very cheap.

I find mine is capable of some respectable groups out to 10 metres with good quality flat nosed pellets, I can also hit larger targets out to 30 yards. If I use standard DW BB shells with lead ball I find that accuracy drops but only slightly.

The barrel is short but the balance is excellent, you can even fit a red dot to it but it looks a little strange.

They are by no means a fine quality target pistol but I think they are very good at what they do.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Hi mate, here is my opinion, with the dan wessons pellet or BB version, some will say they are great some they say they are bad and others like myself will say they are OK.. Same goes for any gun or product really not everyone will agree, but here are my views.

I have had and have the dan wesson BB versions, and the Only difference between the two is the rifled barrel and cartridges,
    i personally think they are an OK airgun, but i do feel they are over priced in the UK and i buy all my guns from the UK, I HATE the loading procedure on the Pellet version cartridges but as you said you know they look like a bit of a pain, but are livable, as blooregard said, getting replacement cartridges is the way to go, but they are not cheap, the quality on the revolver is reasonable but they do have their issues, some/most have wobbly hammers this is a common issue and you will find most owners telling you this, and some even have a slightly wobbly triggers, the trigger pull in double action is quite clunky and stiff because of the sping loaded barrel but in single action is not bad, quite short and smooth, I used to always shoot mine in single action, just feels much better that way anyway on any revolver, real or airgun
    As your going for a snub nose 2.5'' this will not be an issue for you but on the 6'' and 8'' version the seam lines joining the barrel is very noticeable.
    The grips as they separate in two halves can over time become creepy and feel loose, but the black grips do have a nice rubberized textured feel to them even though they are plastic, the wood effect grips though do not feel as nice..
    The pawls (the part that rotates the cylinder is made from a soft alloy, like ALL airgun revolvers are, and they can wear down over time from hard usage) Once again some people will tell you they have had their dan wessons years and have put thousands of shots through the gun and not had any issues, but some people will say their pawls worn down after only a few hundred shots, mine was still good after owning it for over a year and using it a lot, but i personally know a few peoples that have broken quite fast, its luck of the draw id say, a couple of friends of mine work on airgun for a side living one is gunsmith/gun modifier and a gun maker that has had to make a lot of pawls for the dan wessons, he makes the parts from steel but they are not cheap..
    here is his website in case your interested

http://blackdogpistols.com/

I think i have said the cons so time for some pros.

The dan wesson revolvers are economical on co2 giving you a high shot count per co2 capsule easily close to 100 usable shots and have reasonably good power, (longer the barrel, higher the FPS and power)
    They have also quite good accuracy, once again the longer barrel versions tend to have better accuracy, what i have been noticing though the pellet dan wesson do not seem to have a real advantage over the BB versions in accuracy though so dont be put off by the BB versions, and if rebounds is an issue for you, you can used use gamo lead balls or H & N copper coated lead BB's if you want slightly better accuracy. Its also a very good thing they have fully adjustable sights and come with the tactical rails..

Also the dan wessons are very fun to shoot, there is nothing like picking up a cartridge and then loading it into the gun,

I always say to people before buying a gun, if its possible try and go and hold one and give them a good looking over in the flesh before buying one, if and you can shot one before hand too, well thats just a huge bonus..

I will hopefully be doing a little video review on the dan wesson 8'' revolvers in a day or two, i always keep my reviews honest and share my opinions and do my best to help, and if i find and know of faults i will point them out..

All in all though, would i recommend one, 'Yes i would', although i do feel there are better quality and more realistic revolvers on the market, But if the dan wesson is taking your fancy go for it mate.

All the best, marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Thanks for the replies so far. Very thoughtful, useful and interesting info. I suppose I should have known the quality of the gun I end up with will be down to the "luck of the draw". From past experiences, with even very expensive well respected guns some have had issues. Shame quality control isn't more consistent considering the inflated prices we are expected to shell out! If any one knows of other snub nose pellet revolvers I might consider please let me know. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far. Very thoughtful, useful and interesting info. I suppose I should have known the quality of the gun I end up with will be down to the "luck of the draw". From past experiences, with even very expensive well respected guns some have had issues. Shame quality control isn't more consistent considering the inflated prices we are expected to shell out! If any one knows of other snub nose pellet revolvers I might consider please let me know. ATB. Pete.
    Don't discount them completely, go and have a look at one and see what you think and judge for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Don't discount them completely, go and have a look at one and see what you think and judge for yourself.
    Yeah I totally agree with that as well..
    Also you don't have that much of a choice when it comes to snub nose revolvers, as blooregard says go check them out, I'm sure your like one if you got one mate..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Yes. I think I may well just get one and see how it goes. I will have a years warranty at least. Thanks again. ATB. Pete

Pellet Wesson

I've got the 8" Wesson, as well as a Crosman 357/6. Loading the cartridges is a pain, & there is a certain knack. But I really like it, despite all the hassle - always liked revolvers, & nowadays something like the Wesson is the closest I'm ever going to own the real thing.
    Never had any reliability problems, but it's not a gun I use often. Certainly has a better feel than the Crosman, but it does cost a lot more.
    HTH
    Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    I've got the 8" Wesson, as well as a Crosman 357/6. Loading the cartridges is a pain, & there is a certain knack. But I really like it, despite all the hassle - always liked revolvers, & nowadays something like the Wesson is the closest I'm ever going to own the real thing.
    Never had any reliability problems, but it's not a gun I use often. Certainly has a better feel than the Crosman, but it does cost a lot more.
    HTH
    Bru
    Thanks for that. If it feels better than the Crosman 357/6, thats a plus because I have and do like the Crosman 357. If you dont use it a lot, how do you deal with the co2. Do you leave the capsule in the gun between sessions? or waste some co2 by removing it? ATB. Pete. PS. ASG or any brand of co2?

Quote Originally Posted by peteswright View Post
    Thanks for that. If it feels better than the Crosman 357/6, thats a plus because I have and do like the Crosman 357. If you dont use it a lot, how do you deal with the co2. Do you leave the capsule in the gun between sessions? or waste some co2 by removing it? ATB. Pete. PS. ASG or any brand of co2?
    Any brand of CO2 should be fine, I buy in bulk and get whatever is cheapest.

I ALWAYS leave CO2 in the gun. Many will disagree saying that it compresses the seal, my thinking is that as long as you keep the seals lubricated (with something like Pellgun oil, you will be fine. Removing the CO2 either means firing it off (which chills the CO2 bulb) or removing it with gas in (which chills the CO2 bulb), the seal is compressed when the cart is in anyway, chill it right down and then removing the pressure means a very cold and more brittle seal is suddenly releaved of pressure and exposed to a temperature change. Additionally you are going to be doing far more harm regularly compressing and decompressing the seal than you are by leaving it compressed.

I've left guns with CO2 in them for over a year and I've never had a problem with a seal in any of my 20 CO2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Any brand of CO2 should be fine, I buy in bulk and get whatever is cheapest.

I ALWAYS leave CO2 in the gun. Many will disagree saying that it compresses the seal, my thinking is that as long as you keep the seals lubricated (with something like Pellgun oil, you will be fine. Removing the CO2 either means firing it off (which chills the CO2 bulb) or removing it with gas in (which chills the CO2 bulb), the seal is compressed when the cart is in anyway, chill it right down and then removing the pressure means a very cold and more brittle seal is suddenly releaved of pressure and exposed to a temperature change. Additionally you are going to be doing far more harm regularly compressing and decompressing the seal than you are by leaving it compressed.

I've left guns with CO2 in them for over a year and I've never had a problem with a seal in any of my 20 CO2 guns.
    Thanks blooregard. What you say does sound logical. ATB. Pete.

Hi Pete, its one of those questions again mate, a few people will say its fine to leave co2 inside the pistols or the magazines but most will tell you not too. I never leave a co2 capsule in my airgun for longer then a day and in most cases I will just empty the capsule rather then leaving it in the gun for a day.. Some seals depending on the guns use different seals some soft rubber and some use hard rubber, what can happens is the co2 seal can get dented or the shape of the co2 nozzle can imprint on the seal and then if you change co2 brands that has a slightly different shaped nozzle that can cause a slow or even rapid leak..

Say for example you use your gun but the co2 capsule in your magazine is still half full, you have 3 ways to empty the co2 either by dry during firing the gun, which will not damage the gun, co2 guns cool down when you shoot them anyway so dry firing makes no difference, if you don't want to dry fire the gun you can slowly undo the co2 tap screw or bolt and slowly release the co2 you can do this in short bursts so the seal does not freeze, but if you rapid fire a co2 gun in colt weather the co2 capsule freezes anyway but the seal does not suffer as its for a short period and if you keep your seal well lubed, and another way to is to press the co2 release valve/fireing pin on the back of the magazine, once again pushing in gently and in short bursts, I recommend holding the co2 port down though to and pressure.. But as your taking about a Dan Wesson I recommend either dry during it to empty the co2 or slowly undoing the co2 screw tab in shirt bursts, no harm in leaving the co2 in the gun for a day or so but I would not leave it in the gun for weeks or months..

I get asked this question and see this question a lot on the other gun sites and youtube so I think I will make a video on it later tonight, I will cover co2 guns of a few types, co2 rifles, PCP rifles and also airsoft guns too as they all have slightly different rules.. I will message you the video once its done I you like mate..

All the best, marc..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Hi Pete, its one of those questions again mate, a few people will say its fine to leave co2 inside the pistols or the magazines but most will tell you not too. I never leave a co2 capsule in my airgun for longer then a day and in most cases I will just empty the capsule rather then leaving it in the gun for a day.. Some seals depending on the guns use different seals some soft rubber and some use hard rubber, what can happens is the co2 seal can get dented or the shape of the co2 nozzle can imprint on the seal and then if you change co2 brands that has a slightly different shaped nozzle that can cause a slow or even rapid leak..

Say for example you use your gun but the co2 capsule in your magazine is still half full, you have 3 ways to empty the co2 either by dry during firing the gun, which will not damage the gun, co2 guns cool down when you shoot them anyway so dry firing makes no difference, if you don't want to dry fire the gun you can slowly undo the co2 tap screw or bolt and slowly release the co2 you can do this in short bursts so the seal does not freeze, but if you rapid fire a co2 gun in colt weather the co2 capsule freezes anyway but the seal does not suffer as its for a short period and if you keep your seal well lubed, and another way to is to press the co2 release valve/fireing pin on the back of the magazine, once again pushing in gently and in short bursts, I recommend holding the co2 port down though to and pressure.. But as your taking about a Dan Wesson I recommend either dry during it to empty the co2 or slowly undoing the co2 screw tab in shirt bursts, no harm in leaving the co2 in the gun for a day or so but I would not leave it in the gun for weeks or months..

I get asked this question and see this question a lot on the other gun sites and youtube so I think I will make a video on it later tonight, I will cover co2 guns of a few types, co2 rifles, PCP rifles and also airsoft guns too as they all have slightly different rules.. I will message you the video once its done I you like mate..

All the best, marc..
    Appreciate the advice Marc. The video will be useful for many i'm sure. I did wonder, because of the fiddle involved with loading the pellets, you might only fire a few at a time leaving a lot of co2 in the Dan Wesson. I would imagine a long shooting session would be required to use it up unless having a lot of preloaded spare shells. I will be getting at least a pack of 12 spares at £21 and more if the reliability of the gun proves worthy of the extra expense. Got to wait a couple of weeks for NM Products to receive their back order of the guns that are selling well. ATB. Pete.

Hi pete, no problem mate your more then welcome, always happy to help and give my opinion, i have had a few people on youtube ask me as well so i thought it would be a good video to do..
    I have done the video i just need to upload it, ill do that later this afternoon and message it to you early evening..

12 spare cartridges for the pellet dan wesson is not a bad price well worth getting for that price it will make your life much easier in the long run and speed up the shooting and fun, you should get around 80-90 good shots from the dan wesson on one co2 capsule. With the shells pre loading your get through those shots quite fast.

ATB, Marc..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Hi pete, no problem mate your more then welcome, always happy to help and give my opinion, i have had a few people on youtube ask me as well so i thought it would be a good video to do..
    I have done the video i just need to upload it, ill do that later this afternoon and message it to you early evening..

12 spare cartridges for the pellet dan wesson is not a bad price well worth getting for that price it will make your life much easier in the long run and speed up the shooting and fun, you should get around 80-90 good shots from the dan wesson on one co2 capsule. With the shells pre loading your get through those shots quite fast.

ATB, Marc..
    Looking forward to the video Marc. Thanks for your time. Been using my Crosman 357 and am getting 80 usable shots, if very week towards the end. ATB. Pete.