Thread: To PA or not to PA

pongle1 Guest

To PA or not to PA

Hi guys, newish kid require clarification on the PA issue. The AA410k I have bought has a Nikko nighteater 8-32x44PA on it. I am finding it a pain in the **** to have to keep changing the PA focus for different distances especially as the bunny has often buggered off by the time I am sorted. Should I persevere or given that I am only shooting between 20 and 50 yds should I switch to a fixed optic. If so any suggestions

Cheers Steve

Hi
    The scope your using is a fixed mag its just got a few more adjustments than most. In that sort of situation I would set the PA to mid range say 35 yards and the mag to between 8 to 10.
    Steve Topp Brain-finger, Brain-finger, Finger- brain DOOH
    REDFEARNS FTC
    Air Arms Owners Club

Dave. Guest
    Personally I'd buy a smaller scope, but you could just set your magnification to around 6x or 8x and set the parallax at 30yds or so, you should then be able to shoot 20 - 50yds without altering anything.

Yep.... use the high mag to set the parallax for about 30 yards, then stick to 8X mag. The depth of field on a 44mm scope is enough for hunting out to 40 yards. If you're "newish," make sure you can hit a small target before you try it on live quarry.
    Good luck.
    Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I also got fed up altering parallax all the time, it just became a pain and even setting it at 35 yards didn't work because I knew it was there and was always trying to improve the view I had.
    The scope on my Harrier which I use for hunting (once in a blue moon now unfortunately) has a fixed parallax EB 30mm scope. I use it on 6x mag and its perfect.

Northernspark Guest
    Me too!.

Got shut of the 6-24x50 pa and bought a 3-9x40 instead, never been happier

Steve

I have a simons pro hunter 4-12x 40pa & thought that it wasa pain in the ****!
    So on buying a new gun thought id get a new scope!

i got a 4-12 50 hawke fixed pa & what a load of crap!
    even after Re-paralexing for arigun ranges i still wasnt happy with it & i really missed the range finding feature of the simons scope!

MAinly at night when the bunnys seems further away for some reason!

I would set PA @30yds & do find it most usefull in retrospect!

Quote Originally Posted by Skany
    I have a simons pro hunter 4-12x 40pa & thought that it wasa pain in the ****!
    So on buying a new gun thought id get a new scope!

i got a 4-12 50 hawke fixed pa & what a load of crap!
    even after Re-paralexing for arigun ranges i still wasnt happy with it & i really missed the range finding feature of the simons scope!

MAinly at night when the bunnys seems further away for some reason!

I would set PA @30yds & do find it most usefull in retrospect!
    Despite what people say about Hawke I found both of mine to be pretty poor. Compared to the Edgar Brothers one they both seem cheap and nasty.

The parallax and zoom seemed to change on its own and I could never find a happy medium with it. I also had a Hawke 6x40 which I wasn't very happy with.

Get agood quality fixed PA scope and you'll see the difference. The EB 10x42 is the mutts nuts.