Thread: Strange steel Premier!!

Question Strange steel Premier!!

Hi all

I did a swap of my mint and boxed Tempest for this steel premier that seems to be a midway between a mk1 steel and an Ally mk2!!

It has the same black paint finish and milled out (to take a badge) section as the mk2 but is actually steel with the 'Do not remove' cylinder end plug!!

A mate on Facebook said he thought he could remember these normally going to the United States years ago!!

Some pics..

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

With m,y other Premiers for comparison..

Bottom to top-

B series
    E series
    The new one with no letter but five pins
    Mk2

Pic 5

Does anyone know for sure whether this was a transitional pistol or would it have been meant to go across the pond??

Cheers, John #

BTW, It seems a bit more powerful than my Hurricane!!
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi John,

Your Premier would have been made between 1973 and 1975. It was sold in the U.K. as well as Webley's international market. See page 40 of the 1st Airgun Collector issue for a brief synopsis of the model online or Gordon Bruce's excellent book if you have it to hand.

Kind regards,

John

Hi John, not that unusual a pistol, as has been said before, in an attempt to cut costs, Webley changed from a 'proper' blue'd finish to powder coated. Sad really but a sign of the control over the company at the time, the bosses and owners not really caring about tradition just the profit margin. If you need a badge to go in the cut out just e mail me at ray210645@yahoo.co.uk; I am disposing of a huge spares collection and can supply one if you want one, or most other parts as well. [Mods, hope this OK, you are aware of my intention to try and advertise the collection on here but we can't yet decide how best to do it. If not acceptable PM me please]
    ATVB
    abellringer

I have not seen this transitional model before as far as I can recall they must be quite scarce.It is certainly more attractive than the ghastly often encountered full blown MK11!

Thanks for the pictures!

ATB.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi John,

Your Premier would have been made between 1973 and 1975. It was sold in the U.K. as well as Webley's international market. See page 40 of the 1st Airgun Collector issue for a brief synopsis of the model online or Gordon Bruce's excellent book if you have it to hand.

Kind regards,

John
    Thanks John, Have to say I much prefer the blued finish but will resist the urge to get it Blued for the sake of originality

I do have a copy of Bruce's book somewhere! I shall dig it out and have a buitchers

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Hi John, not that unusual a pistol, as has been said before, in an attempt to cut costs, Webley changed from a 'proper' blue'd finish to powder coated. Sad really but a sign of the control over the company at the time, the bosses and owners not really caring about tradition just the profit margin. If you need a badge to go in the cut out just e mail me at ray210645@yahoo.co.uk; I am disposing of a huge spares collection and can supply one if you want one, or most other parts as well. [Mods, hope this OK, you are aware of my intention to try and advertise the collection on here but we can't yet decide how best to do it. If not acceptable PM me please]
    ATVB
    abellringer

Cheers Bellringer, I may be in touch shortly, also, I messaged a friend that needs a cocking link for a Senior so he may be in touch too

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    I have not seen this transitional model before as far as I can recall they must be quite scarce.It is certainly more attractive than the ghastly often encountered full blown MK11!

Thanks for the pictures!

ATB.
    Hi mrto

I found it strange that the milled out slot for the badge is quite deep yet I would have thought the cylinder being steel would be quite thin!!

I can understand how the ally of the mk2 is much thicker and so will take a good depth of cut, I was puzzled at it being steel though!!

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Thanks John, Have to say I much prefer the blued finish but will resist the urge to get it Blued for the sake of originality

I do have a copy of Bruce's book somewhere! I shall dig it out and have a buitchers

Cheers, John
    Hi John,

I tend to prefer the earlier models too but these 'transitional' models tend to perform quite well - better than many blued ones. The ones I have come across have done anyway. Not sure why - maybe I have simply come across some good examples!

Kind regards,

John

Hi Abellringer I have tried to pm you but your box is full.

pushbikeman. I have sent PM to you all should be ok now.
    abellringer