Thread: Polishing up an old pistol

Polishing up an old pistol

After seeing some nice results from others, with different pistols and i am wondering if i should have a go at polishing the top half of my rough record jumbo. The finish is mostly all gone from the face of the top although the main frame is still good. I have got one that is in good nick and just got a second so I could find out how to strip them.
    Any ideas and advice welcome.

As its made from Zamak, you could polish it up to a nice shine but I always paint this material in satin black, think it looks a lot better and the pistol will look like new.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

They're pretty easy to strip really. The main thing to avoid is putting them back together without any thread seal or anti-seize compound or grease in the areas where you have steel screws going into the alloy body. If you put these screws in dry, the steel and alloy will corrode one another destroying the threads.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    You can't polish a turd.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

You haven't seen my compacted ones. Quite shiny.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Good Advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    The main thing to avoid is putting them back together without any thread seal or anti-seize compound or grease in the areas where you have steel screws going into the alloy body. If you put these screws in dry, the steel and alloy will corrode one another destroying the threads.
    Something that turns up working on new & old motor & pushbikes - there is a reaction between the metals resulting in seizure.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    You can't polish a turd.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ9fy1qSFI
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php