Thread: Any info appreciated

Any info appreciated

Hi folks
    Father in law has had this in his attic for ever and would really like to know a bit more about it and possibly a valuation.
    http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/a...psjb9rorqh.jpg

The only markings I can make out are

Colt's PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USA
    Patented May 29 Sept 18 83 MAY 26 85 JUNE 16 86 FEB 22 87

Thanks in advance.

Hi can you put a photo up of the markings up as this would be a great help, it sounds intresting.

On the face

of it a break barrel Millita ...it may be a derivative / imported and stamped as Colt - I do not have access to images offhand but BSA did a break barrel version themselves .
    Or it could be the one of only three rare thin.....nope I am only joking ....There are preWar experts here , they will input their knowledge soon I'm sure ..

I would also like to see a pic of the markings, please John, along with other more detailed pics.

It looks interesting because if it really is a gun by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company, with those patent details, it would seem to predate the European equivalent of this kind of break barrel, unless it's a mixture of different guns.

The small dovetailed void on the underside of the barrel about two thirds of the way to the muzzle is like what you see on underlever rifles to hold the lever catch. Plus the cocking link 'collar' looks like it could be an 'add-on'. And the barrel looks a little thick for the small diameter of cylinder.

All in all very strange! But interesting too.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Deju Vu

Was there not a similar oddity turn up here recently ...very nice , unusual but it appeared 'odd' ...methinks last two months ?

I think its a fantastic bitza, from back in the day when people fixed things with what was to hand. If its a .22, perhaps the barrel has been used from a earlier rifle, such as a pump action lightning or a single shot. The stock may have come from the same rifle too. Very interesting, whatever it is though
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    I think its a fantastic bitza, from back in the day when people fixed things with what was to hand. If its a .22, perhaps the barrel has been used from a earlier rifle, such as a pump action lightning or a single shot. The stock may have come from the same rifle too. Very interesting, whatever it is though
    That's what I thought.

I have never heard of Colt making an air rifle (and there is none mentioned in the Blue Book, just the Umarex 1911s).

I'm sure that if Colt had made air rifles, they'd be well-known, and US gun collectors would be paying thousands for them.

Googling the text of the barrel markings gets a lot of hits for the 1880s Colt Lightning pump-action rifle, made in .22" (among other calibres up to .50"). So that looks like the source of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingernutz View Post
    Looking at these photos l would definately say it's bit of a Heinz 57, l bet someone enjoyed putting that together.

Frankenstein gun

With the intense collectability of anything Colt,, the chances of this being anything but a Frankenstein gun is nil.

Could you messure the rifle ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingernutz View Post
    the entire length , ? maybe diameter cylinder out side , in cm please if you can.