Thread: HW45 and foam filled case?

HW45 and foam filled case?

I remember Weihrauch advising owners of their air rifles that the foam in some gun cases might react with the bluing on the gun and spoil its appearance.

Since the HW45 and 75 have alloy frames, I wondered if this warning also applies to them.

Do any of you store your HW45 in a foam lined container. When I lived abroad I used to keep handguns in foam lined cases but with the lid slightly open so that they could breathe.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I know that some chemicals in some foam can strip bluing just like some propellants in spray oils and penetrating oil (the propellant is desolved in the oil) I keep my 45 in a soft pistol case but every so often I it gets a quick once over with a oily rag
    Can you still get wax or oil paper, the stuff that percision tools used to be wrapped in, if your storing your guns a once over with a vapour release oil (the stuff that releases a vapour that prevents corrosion even on metal you missed with the oil) then wrap in the oil/wax paper should prevent any corrosion.
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    I remember Weihrauch advising owners of their air rifles that the foam in some gun cases might react with the bluing on the gun and spoil its appearance.

Since the HW45 and 75 have alloy frames, I wondered if this warning also applies to them.

Do any of you store your HW45 in a foam lined container. When I lived abroad I used to keep handguns in foam lined cases but with the lid slightly open so that they could breathe.
    I once took my Crosman 1377, Gamo AF10 and another (cant remember) away for a weekend and all were marked by the foam in the case. The marks did wipe off, but i've been suspicious of foam against metal in cases ever since. Maybe best to use a plastic bag to put gun in first just to be sure, or test for yourself. I know some say foam hasn't marked their guns, so maybe it depends what gun and what foam combination. ATB. Pete. PS. All three of my Weihrauchs came in plastic bags in a cardboard box.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Extract from HW45 & HW75 manuals

"Important notice: Please ensure your gun is always placed in a plastic sleeve before packing it in a foam lined gun case. The foam lining in a case may react with any of the metal surfaces on this weapon"

I've also seen somewhere that it's not advisable to clean them with oils as it can mark the anodised finish - wipe with a clean dry rag.

Rgds,Rob

Thanks for the replies.

I've has HW45s and a 75 in the past and always wiped them over with a lightly oiled cloth. However I noticed that over time this seemed to degrade the anodising.

There is no danger of rust to the exterior of these guns so oil is really not necessary. That's why I only wipe my current HW45 with a dry clean cloth. It has kept a good finish as a result.

I like to store pistols in a hard case. However I think I will buy one, remove the foam and put a couple of cotton pads filled with some soft material in them, as an alternative to the foam. Not keen on plastic bags as they hold condensation.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Yes, I'm concerned about the possibility of condensation in a plastic bag.

I do store mine in a foam case (Plano gun Guard) but wrap them in a clean cloth so there's no contact with the foam.

Rob

The Umarex range of pistols made from zinc alloy with a baked paint type finish are damaged by leaving them for long periods in the the foam lined boxes they are supplied with. Even the silver finish ones get discoloured. Its best to store them out of the boxes.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 14-09-2015 at 07:31 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

As above, I've had pistols marked by the foam in cases so all my pistols now live in well padded pistol slips......this is why I'm not worried if a pistol I buy doesn't have a case.

Eric.

storage case

interesting thread. I was just about to order a foam padded case. think il have another look on the internet to see whats available.saw some pistol pouch type things on amazon with a good rating.

I got a fleece lined pistol slip from for mine which is really well padded and wasn't a lot of money.

Useful information chaps, i had no idea that foam could mark

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Yes but put them inside a cotton pillow slip first just to be safe.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

foam filled case

When I have stored my pistols in the plastic cases with foam inserts the foam always seems to make an imprint on the pistol itself, that's why my pistols always get well wiped. But I also have used well padded pistol slips which are much better to use.