Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airgun Auction

Airgun Auction

Just finished watching the David Swan collection on line, and was surprised at some of prices they realised, there was some bargains to be had.

Agreed - not sure why I really thought that some items went for not a lot considering the rarity of the piece.

Not that I'm complaining

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    For me the biggest surprise was a Lincoln pistol going for £410 and the following lot, a much rarer and IMO more desirable Parker crank pistol going for only £380. Yes, the Parker grips weren't orignal, but they were well done, and someone got a good bargain.

Not much into air rifles, but I've just bought a Crosman 99 from the auction in Newcastle. Seems to have the same feed system as the Crosman 600, but with a lever action, rather than semi-auto.
    Bought on a whim at what I think is a reasonable price, provided that its not a load of crap but I mean, an 18 shot repeater in .22 - who could resist?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    For me the biggest surprise was a Lincoln pistol going for £410 and the following lot, a much rarer and IMO more desirable Parker crank pistol going for only £380. Yes, the Parker grips weren't orignal, but thd ey were well done, and someone got a good bargain.
    Hi,

I would agree that the Standard pattern Lincoln pistol was a bit of a surprise as was the £420 hammer paid for a Webley Mk2 Service.

Generally, there was no interest in the obsolete calibre converted Gems and little in the modified BSA air rifles, although the unmodified BSA air rifles did OK.

Significant USA interest meant that many Lots will travel across the pond where they mostly originated from.

Star of the show was Lot 1071 which fetched £2,500 hammer:

"A Girondoni style .42R air pistol, by Echad, 19th Century, with repeating grip flask action, the hexagonal barrel inscribed Echad, six shot magazine running down right hand side, fitted spring loaded sliding bar loading, the lock fitted hammer cocking, brass breech, all above carved floral decorated walnut stock, 15in. overall length."

Although it is difficult to rationalise prices without seeing the items in the flesh, it would appear there were some bargains to be had especially if you were after a Bonehill
    Britannia.

I made a note of the realised prices for the air gun Lots if anybody has an interest in a particular item.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 16-09-2015 at 06:32 PM.

very disappointing

At least for the vendors, so as has been said before not always a good idea to put so many airguns (in this case) into an auction together, there were a few high priced surprises in the obscure category but as has been said some bargains were had. It will be interesting to see how the offload of cash today will affect Holts tomorrow.
    Eric

I set my sights on the Mk I Airsporter in superb original condition, I'm pleased to say, it's now mine, along with a dozen or so pre war bits and pieces including Gems and Bugelspanners, all of which were picked up at what I can only describe as, fair rices. There was a rare Airsporter variation with a rising breech which was below the estimated price, I let it go and am now wondering if I should have pushed on but you need to draw the line somewhere.

Well pleased. Mel.

Forgot to add. That was part one of the collection, The rest is still to be sold, i'm told that there are some interesting early pneumatics still to come.
    Last edited by mel h; 16-09-2015 at 06:19 PM.

david swan collection

Hi, just got back from the auction,I got lot 930, bonna 18, 932. 1st mod britannia, and the disc throwing bugalspanner,948,for £700 hammer price. prices very up down, brown pistol 1052 £1700, pitted , cracked grip. lot 1045,anson firefly, boxed ,£220. Would any members who bought pistols ,to be collected, pm me with ,delivery address, amount to be insured for,dont forget to email AUCTION HOUSE, my ID, for collection. ATB Ray.

NB, As Mel said, a lot more stuff to come, one of staff kindly downloaded 20 pages (3 guns per page) 2 no pallets, of butt, ball res etc, guns, plus, todays unsold guns to be included in decembers sale,
    Mel, WE met at last years Melbourne, were sitting at the back, ray
    Last edited by wrightonn; 16-09-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Hello Ray, yes I remember from Melbourne. I was quite intrigued by your disk throwing Bugelspanner, one of the most unusual guns I've ever seen, does it use any air or is it just spring powered?
    Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    At least for the vendors, so as has been said before not always a good idea to put so many airguns (in this case) into an auction together, there were a few high priced surprises in the obscure category but as has been said some bargains were had. It will be interesting to see how the offload of cash today will affect Holts tomorrow.
    Eric
    I agree, Eric. I felt quite sorry for Mr Swan's family and think you're right that having so many superb airguns together won't have helped at all. It's a lesson to anyone thinking of selling off a large collection while they're alive: selling it slowly seems to be the way to get the best overall price.

I think it also reminds us that you'll never get rich collecting vintage airguns! The market just isn't big enough, so realising the paper value of our collections will always be difficult.

I found that selling a large chunk of my collection at auction earlier this year barely generated what I thought it would. It wasn't quite as bad as my worst case scenario, but not far off. I sold off quite a few last year, also at auction, and had a much better result.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Auctions can be funny things. I had a piece in a Tennants sale last year - failed to even make the reserve. Re-entered it in the next sale and it exceeded the same reserve by £100. I agree about flooding the market, trickle feed is the best way.

I wonder whether prices would have been higher if the auction had been held in, say, the Midlands, therefore allowing a greater number of collectors an easier opportunity to view?
    Most of the successful bids were via the internet which tells a story?
    Also having to travel a distance to pick up would have put many off bidding.
    Having said that many of the bids were weirdly low - eg 220 for the boxed Firefly. It's a £500 gun in my book? The very rare Targaire pistols for no money; ditto the boxed Excellent. A budding pistol collector could have bought an instant high quality collection for the price of a cheap second hand car?
    And where were the dealers? These should be big money occasions for them?
    Will be interesting to compare with the prices realised in tomorrows Holts sale - I would think they will be much improved on today?

Quote Originally Posted by slug-gun View Post
    I wonder whether prices would have been higher if the auction had been held in, say, the Midlands, therefore allowing a greater number of collectors an easier opportunity to view?
    Most of the successful bids were via the internet which tells a story?
    Also having to travel a distance to pick up would have put many off bidding.
    Having said that many of the bids were weirdly low - eg 220 for the boxed Firefly. It's a £500 gun in my book? The very rare Targaire pistols for no money; ditto the boxed Excellent. A budding pistol collector could have bought an instant high quality collection for the price of a cheap second hand car?
    And where were the dealers? These should be big money occasions for them?
    Will be interesting to compare with the prices realised in tomorrows Holts sale - I would think they will be much improved on today?
    l have to agree with the low prices above, some of the guns went for a lot less than l paid for some mine a few years ago, and has been said by others to large a collection at one time. it could be that the dealers were the ones bidding on line and they did get the bargains?. l am sure some of the guns would have made more even in loco auctions as long as they were are line.

Wink Collecting

Can't say I've ever bought a gun with a view to selling it. Observation over the decades leads me to believe there is no fortune to be made selling air guns. Quite recently,I had occasion to quit a sizable collection and found the only feature buyers considered was muzzle velocity! For me,the fun in this game came from pursuing and obtaining the old,odd and rare. Concomitant pleasure associated with this activity was invaluable!

swan auction

Hi, Mel, you must have been in the back row, the disk thrower is spring powered, I have an airgun mag with a very long, detailed article on it,(if i can find it) Hebhaggis mentions this in Abasmajors original post re the auction (do any members remember the article?) IIRC, it was by a fellow BBS member, sadly, only a few members (so far) took up my offer to inspect and post, i think this was a chance obtain some real bargains,ATB Ray.

NB, the attendance was very low, about 15 to 20 people, Ray.