Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Airgun Auction

I wonder what the Lincoln pistol would have sold for had all bidders known it was a rare .22 cal version...

Quote Originally Posted by Epicyclic View Post
    I wonder what the Lincoln pistol would have sold for had all bidders known it was a rare .22 cal version...
    Hi.

Unless my eyes deceived me, the Lincoln was a standard pistol which was only ever chambered in .177. Had it been the extended butt (Giant) version in .22 it would certainly have fetched a good deal more than it actually achieved on the day.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 20-09-2015 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob M View Post
    I'm amazed at the low prices that the Excellent and the Targ-Aires went for, wish I could have been there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mel h View Post
    Part of the problem, as well as the other points put forward in this thread, is that everyone has heard at some time or another about auction prices being so ridiculously high that they are frightened off and don't participate. It's always worth a look.
    Mel.
    I would have gone on the off chance, even knowing the prices might go out of my range, but it would have meant over six hours travelling time. Due to personal circumstances (my Dad's terminally ill amongst other things) I just could not afford the time to attend. If the auction had been further south I could well have attended.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Rob, next time I would seriously consider online bidding.

I couldn't get to the auction even though it was only a 100 mile drive as a back injury prevented me from driving, so I had to have a go online. I had never done this before and was very apprehensive about it, but it turned out to be much simpler than I thought. I was after two items, which I knew would be expensive. I got the one successfully and lost the second (way too expensive), which meant that in theory I had plenty of cash left in my budget to buy some of the other bargains. However, Sod's Law ruled and as both my items came near the end of the auction it was too late to make use of this cash windfall. Fortunately I did give into temptation earlier on and get one real bargain, as it was too good to pass up.

The thing is, online bidding is quite expensive, as there is an additional charge for the online service on top of the usual commission, and then you have to add in courier and shipping charges. Nevertheless, if the hammer price is low enough, it can still be cost effective. For my two guns the online charge and shipping costs meant that I paid £60 more than if I had attended the auction in person and collected the items myself. Taking off potential petrol costs meant it actually cost me only about £38 more. As I got my two pistols for far less than I originally expected to pay, I had still got myself a couple of great bargains, and one of them was something I had been after for years and would have been prepared to pay much more for.