Thread: Cadet meteor

Cadet meteor

Hello has any one come across a cadet meteor
    They were used ti train military cadets any info
    Would be appreciated

I have one of these bought from Protek in 2007 ser no NG43999 .
    It is a standard meteor Mk IV from 1973 approximately but is fitted with a military style adjustable peep sight mounted above the grip at the rear of the air chamber. It seems they were called "Cadet Meteor", and intended for cadet training and available in .177 cal only and prefixed NG.
    The Mk IV meteor in .22 was prefixed TG but this was NOT a "Cadet" and was of conventional Meteor style with normal adjustable open sights mounted in the usual place above the breech.
    Hope this helps.
    Aubrey

We had a bunch back in the day when I was a cadet. Never shot them, because we had a rimfire-rated range and free supplies of .22LR.

Protek have one for sale on their website (minus a part). And a "SOLD" one still pictured.

I don't think they are very rare. We must have had a dozen of the things.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    The ones that I have seen have been Mk5 Meteors with the articulated, built up cocking arm. They are in .177 and the barrels are not drilled for a rear sight. The rearsight is a peep sight mounted on the cylinder. I bought a few of these that were broken and came in a box with a sticker (from the Cadets?) marked "CADET RIFLE---ITEMS DEFICIENT". One of them had a broken trigger and was cocked when I got it
    I do not think they are rare at all.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    The ones that I have seen have been Mk5 Meteors with the articulated, built up cocking arm. They are in .177 and the barrels are not drilled for a rear sight. The rearsight is a peep sight mounted on the cylinder. I bought a few of these that were broken and came in a box with a sticker (from the Cadets?) marked "CADET RIFLE---ITEMS DEFICIENT". One of them had a broken trigger and was cocked when I got it
    I do not think they are rare at all.
    I agree with the above description, although the rifles can be a little difficult to find if you are searching for one and nobody has one for sale!

My experience of shooting Meteors in the cadets is not a pleasant one. We had to shoot them prone and with my prominent cheek bones, I just could not see the sights comfortably in this position. Lots of shouting from the instructor did not help matters and I fluffed my shots. I did way better on the .22 Martinis we had, which all the cadets were convinced had seen service in the Zulu wars!

These Meteors are an often overlooked but interesting part of our airgun shooting heritage IMHO.

John

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    Would be appreciated
    I have a couple ! ( 19 York cadets )

Gedfin they look well they are a credit to you

Quote Originally Posted by mark@mbb View Post
    Would be appreciated
    Hello,

Thanks for posting this interesting thread as I had previously no idea that the Meteor had been used for this purpose.

We live and learn, but it seems mostly I just live !

Regards

Brian

Meteor

Brian thank you for the reply i have just aquired one
    And had to find out about it i have a dizen meteors
    And others but this cadet meteor had me i hadnt
    Seen one before