Thread: Gecado Model 50 air rifle .22

Gecado Model 50 air rifle .22

G'day,

I have seen a number of Gecado/Diana 50 rifles locally, but never seen anything like this one. It is a beautiful looking rifle. Was this a higher grade rifle from Gecado/Diana [as the advertisement suggests] or is it likely to have been a special order or one-off?

http://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/33...air_rifle.html

Jim

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Never seen one like that, nor heard of a model with the extra on it. I suspect that this was a standard 50 that someone has decorated or had decorated. I have seen several rifles with extra patterns on them, on both stock and action, and some look very good.

Gecado was, I believe, the trade name for Diana in the USA. (stand correction if wrong)
    Cheers, Phil

Hi Phil,

In Australia Diana air guns were called Gecado. I presume it was for marketing. As for the decorations on the Model 50, if it was after-market, then some one has a lot of skill and gone to a lot of trouble to embellish the rifle so beautifully. I wonder what kind of wood it is?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Gecado was, I believe, the trade name for Diana in the USA. (stand correction if wrong)
    Cheers, Phil
    Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post
    Hi Phil,

In Australia Diana air guns were called Gecado. I presume it was for marketing. As for the decorations on the Model 50, if it was after-market, then some one has a lot of skill and gone to a lot of trouble to embellish the rifle so beautifully. I wonder what kind of wood it is?

Jim
    Diana were sold in South Africa under the Gecado name as well.

As to the wood, I would have to say it looks like beech that has been heavily coloured.

At first glance Don Robinson came to mind but it looks a bit restrained for his normal work.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    Diana were sold in South Africa under the Gecado name as well.

As to the wood, I would have to say it looks like beech that has been heavily coloured.

At first glance Don Robinson came to mind but it looks a bit restrained for his normal work.
    I believe they were sold in the U.S. too as Gecado and Geco

I bought a Gcado mod50 years ago for £30 that wouldn't cock, Someone had stripped it and lost a ball from the sear upon rebuild, I found that an old lawnmower had the same size ball bearing fitted so I got it working again then sold it for..... £30!!

I was told after that the balls are the same size for push iron wheels and could be bought loosely!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

If it is the standard '3 ball trigger unit' then balls are standard cycle size 4.75mm or 3/16", available for cycle hubs much cheaper than buying individual balls from a spares supplier.
    I have known a trigger unit operate OK with only 2 balls but rebuilt it with 3, just in case!.
    Cheers, Phil

I agree that this is probably a standard beech-stocked mod 50 with a nicely done 'home upgrade', and not some kind of deluxe factory model. I've only seen one (apparently) genuine postwar Diana stock made in the optional walnut in quite a few years of looking, so reckon they're not common!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you all for your opinions and advice about this rifle. I had my doubts that the stock ornamentation was a factory job. Never-the-less it appears well done. I wish I had such skill in wood working.

Jim

$995? That's rich!

How much for a standard one? I can send you plenty!
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

air-tech wrote: "$995? That's rich!" Damn right - too rich for me when there are quite a few 50s for sale locally in the $3-400.00 range! Even so it looks nice, but I would rather spend my money on another old 10m target rifle.

Jim