Thread: Webley Premier 'F' series

Webley Premier 'F' series

I have a Webley Premier F series that I am hoping to sell for a friend. It is in very good condition for the year (1975?) and is a .22. It has the serial number 253. I think this is the last Premier to be made before going over to the alloy frame and has the blued finish. It comes as gun only, no box or accessories. It could do with a service , but still fires ok. What sort of price should I be looking for?
    Many thanks, Dave.
    BSA First batch, Breakdown, Cadet major, Meteors, Mercurys, Airsporters, Supersport, Superstar, Lightning XL, HW80, Logun S16 mk1, Webley Junior rifle, Relum Tornado, Webley mk1 pistol, ASI Centre pistol, Crosman Medalist 1322.

Quote Originally Posted by BTC1 View Post
    I have a Webley Premier F series that I am hoping to sell for a friend. It is in very good condition for the year (1975?) and is a .22. It has the serial number 253. I think this is the last Premier to be made before going over to the alloy frame and has the blued finish. It comes as gun only, no box or accessories. It could do with a service , but still fires ok. What sort of price should I be looking for?
    Many thanks, Dave.
    Hi,

The 253 number is actually a batch number rather than a serial number and unfortunately doesn't help with accurate dating. I would have thought mid-seventies is about right for this particular model. As it is a private sale for a friend and may be in need of a service, I would say £60-£80 would not be unreasonable.

Regards

Brian

Condition is important.

If in very good condition it could be worth more. If you could post some pictures it would help.

I paid £120 for a very good one in .177 early this year.
    From a dealer who wanted more.
    I think this model Premier is probably the best shooter of the motley crew.

I have a few pictures, could someone host them for me? I am not too computer literate yet!
    Many thanks, Dave
    BSA First batch, Breakdown, Cadet major, Meteors, Mercurys, Airsporters, Supersport, Superstar, Lightning XL, HW80, Logun S16 mk1, Webley Junior rifle, Relum Tornado, Webley mk1 pistol, ASI Centre pistol, Crosman Medalist 1322.

HI Dave,

If you carefully remove the left grip, you should see (usually but not always) a date stamp underneath and on the frame. Month followed by year. Be careful when replacing the grip and ensure the locating stud at its base engages before you screw the grips screw back in place as otherwise the bottom of the grip will sheer off!

John

Hi Josie and John, I thought this gun was made in 1975 as it has an 'F' stamped on the frame where the trigger guard meets the frame at the handgrip, signifying the series. I will check under the grip to see if there are any date stamps, thanks for that info.
    As an aside, I also have a mark1, serial number 20655, that I was told would make it from about 1925, it has all sorts of patent numbers stamped round the action, the newest being Canada 1925! I can send pictures of this pistol if it is of any interest. It appears in very good order, I had it serviced about 3 years ago and the gunsmith said it may be of some value, not that it is for sale but does make me wonder!
    Thanks again for your input, Dave

Thumbs up

Hi Josie and John, I thought this gun was made in 1975 as it has an 'F' stamped on the frame where the trigger guard meets the frame at the handgrip, signifying the series. I will check under the grip to see if there are any date stamps, thanks for that info.
    As an aside, I also have a mark1, serial number 20655, that I was told would make it from about 1925, it has all sorts of patent numbers stamped round the action, the newest being Canada 1925! I can send pictures of this pistol if it is of any interest. It appears in very good order, I had it serviced about 3 years ago and the gunsmith said it may be of some value, not that it is for sale but does make me wonder!
    Hi Dave,

I believe the F series Premiers were produced between 1971 and 1973, but you may find a more accurate date stamped under the grip as John suggests.

Many of the pre-war 'Straight Grip' Mk1s such as your older pistol seem to have survived and usually fetch between £150 and £200 dependent on condition.

An original box and any accompanying accessories or paperwork will also add a considerable amount to the value.

Regards

Brian

Hi Dave,
    I would guess at a date of 1926/27 for the straight grip Mk 1 numbered 20655. Condition is very important but a good example with original finish and parts, which is still in working order would probably fetch around the £150 mark - give or take either side of that figure.

As Abasmajor suggests, the F prefix Premier is likely to be earlier than 1975 and hopefully the grip stamp will tell you the precise date.

Kind regards,

John

Hi, after removing the left hand grip there was just the number 72 on the frame, near the fixing screw hole, no other numbers were there. So I take it that means it was made in 1972! As I am hoping to sell it on, any idea what I could sell it for?
    Many thanks, Dave.

Hi, after removing the left hand grip there was just the number 72 on the frame, near the fixing screw hole, no other numbers were there. So I take it that means it was made in 1972! As I am hoping to sell it on, any idea what I could sell it for?
    Many thanks, Dave.
    1972 sounds about right Dave. Hard to value without pics, so £100 give or take, dependant on condition.

John