Thread: Haenel Modell 33 Junior BB Shot

Haenel Modell 33 Junior BB Shot

Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping someone on the forum might be able to help me out. I bought from auction last week (the David Swan Collection, Newcastle) a Haenel Modell 33 Junior and have collected it today. I've been after one of these rifles for a while and am very pleased with it - especially having seen a 'gilly' one in a gun shop which was very, very highly priced.

I have read up about the history of the gun as a military trainer and have done some basic research. I note, however, in Hiller's book that these rifles require a specific size of BB (4.45). He advises that "A cheap supply of shot may be obtained by buying BB sized shotgun pellets. A bag of these should last a lifetime." When viewing the aforementioned 'pricey'/incorrect one for sale in a gun shop I asked if they could get me some BB's or appropriate shot and they first quoted a very high price (£100) for a bag of 1000 (apparently the only quantity they could be bought in) and also advised me away from the 'shot' option as they said that the BBs may be misshapen and would block the barrel. I declined to buy either the gun or the ammo!

However, now I have managed to get my hands on one of these rifles I wondered if any members either have any of the right sized BB which they would be willing to sell me or could advise me in the direction of where I might be able to find some.

Thanks in advance

Olly

Not BB and not 4,45

BB balls are steel , and you need 4,4mm lead balls
    http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/...Path/40_95_161

You need H&N lead balls.
    Protek Supplie sunny Bognor Regis

Protek Supplies sell H&N 4.4 lead balls. They also have some spare mags for the Anschutz/Haenel ball firers.

Edited because I can't type properly.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkinww1 View Post
    Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping someone on the forum might be able to help me out. I bought from auction last week (the David Swan Collection, Newcastle) a Haenel Modell 33 Junior and have collected it today. I've been after one of these rifles for a while and am very pleased with it - especially having seen a 'gilly' one in a gun shop which was very, very highly priced.

I have read up about the history of the gun as a military trainer and have done some basic research. I note, however, in Hiller's book that these rifles require a specific size of BB (4.45). He advises that "A cheap supply of shot may be obtained by buying BB sized shotgun pellets. A bag of these should last a lifetime." When viewing the aforementioned 'pricey'/incorrect one for sale in a gun shop I asked if they could get me some BB's or appropriate shot and they first quoted a very high price (£100) for a bag of 1000 (apparently the only quantity they could be bought in) and also advised me away from the 'shot' option as they said that the BBs may be misshapen and would block the barrel. I declined to buy either the gun or the ammo!

However, now I have managed to get my hands on one of these rifles I wondered if any members either have any of the right sized BB which they would be willing to sell me or could advise me in the direction of where I might be able to find some.

Thanks in advance

Olly
    Olly, you are absolutely rigt about the size being 4,45mm!
    The 33 and 33 junior used this special caliber as opposed to the 49,49a and the 310 that need the 4,4mm.

These4,45mm lead balls are very hard to find., but a gunshop in The Netherlands has some tins hidden from view.
    This subject came along some weeks ago and I live close to the shop, so I asked the owner if he would sell some tins and he did!
    He wants 15,- gbp per tin but doesn't do shipping, I can take care of that for you in you desire?

best regards
    Frank

Great info

Thanks all for the replies; as usual tip top knowledge on here. So it is the 4.45 lead ball as per Hiller's guide then that is the right size and the 4.4 that Protect sells would not be any good? Are there any other owners of these rifles who have run into this same problem of obtaining ammo?

Frank - Do you have one of these junior models; I wonder what they are they like to shoot? I imagine they are fairly low on power? I will drop you a PM later this week re the ball (bit pushed for time today).

All replies are much appreciated - As is any further info on these rifles

Best

Olly

Thank you frank

Quote Originally Posted by frakor View Post
    Olly, you are absolutely rigt about the size being 4,45mm!
    The 33 and 33 junior used this special caliber as opposed to the 49,49a and the 310 that need the 4,4mm.

These4,45mm lead balls are very hard to find., but a gunshop in The Netherlands has some tins hidden from view.
    This subject came along some weeks ago and I live close to the shop, so I asked the owner if he would sell some tins and he did!
    He wants 15,- gbp per tin but doesn't do shipping, I can take care of that for you in you desire?

best regards
    Frank
    never knew this but it is true , i tried to puch a 4,4 through the barrel , no resistance.
    I have heard the magazine need a little modification if its not the original 33 magazine ?
    http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/...oducts_id/1064
    http://www.waffencenter-gotha.de/sho...ert::4163.html

I handled a fair few of these "military trainers", and they are not verry powerful ,but a joy to shoot all afternoon.
    These rifles a often used with the incorrect size roundball (4,4) and perform badly because of it

----------------------------------------
    Frank

training rifle

Hi,sorry for the thread hijack, Olly, I.got a Bonner 18 bolt action repeater at the same auction ,Frank, can you(or any one ) advise me on the correct size ammo,and magazine capacity,

ATB, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightonn View Post
    Hi,sorry for the thread hijack, Olly, I.got a Bonner 18 bolt action repeater at the same auction ,Frank, can you(or any one ) advise me on the correct size ammo,and magazine capacity,

ATB, Ray.
    Ray, I presume you have got a "BONNA" trainer?
    If you have, there are 2 models, a model 115 (100shot) and a model 98 (75 shot) both use the 4,4mm ball.
    The model number is the approximate lenght in cm.

=========================
    Frank

trainer rifles

Thank you , Frank, for the information, you certainly know your air guns, thanks again , Ray,