Thread: Relum Tornado alternative advice

Relum Tornado alternative advice

Hi, I've just been gifted a Relum. It's been sat in the shed a while and aside from the rust, it's piston seal is totally knackered, the cocking arm is US and it's minus a rear sight. Apart from that though.... I'm sorely tempted to give it a tart up and would welcome people's alternatives for fixes. I'm conscious it's not worth a great deal, but would like to get the old girl firing again, as long as it doesn't become a money pit.

OK ... Relum, the Tornado, came in a couple of versions but as far as getting one shooting again the following should help with all types:
    Piston seal: are usually rivetted on. I managed to knock the rivet out with a punch and make up a new leather seal before re-using the old rivet. But you can buy new piston seals and rivets . Try Protek Supplies. I did try a PTFE seal but found it useless. It is possible to tap the rivet hole and use a bolt to hold the piston head/seal. (access nut if used from inside piston body).
    Cocking link: what is wrong? I once had a link break in the middle with no warning. The link is a pressed steel one and I managed to force fit a steel bar into the central slot, using JB Weld in the central slot as well. Works well.
    Trigger adjuster screw: If missing, the thread is 3.5mm same as that used on electrical socket plate fixings to a wall. A new screw/bolt can be made from one of these screws.
    As above, Protek are a good source of supply.
    Cheers, Phil

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    These Hungarian wonders are so simple to work on that it is indeed worth a go and fun too! Protek is the place for advice and spares. It may not ever am9unt to much as as hooter, but the satisfaciton in getting an old girl operational again is worth it.

Thanks for the advice gents.