Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you ever managed to put one over a dodgy dealer or a wise guy?

Its nice to get a result sometimes. I'm no big collector any more but when I see something good that I know I can pass on to someone who would appreciate it more than the average punter, then I buy it. Find stuff in gun shops who aren't into their old air guns that much, and auction house weekly sales. Has to be something special condition wise or completely under valued. There is a lot of tat and a lot of over priced average stock out there, so you have to be selective..very.

Saved a mint Challenger the other month from being just another cheap old gun. Made a few bob and a collector has a lovely example now.
    Bought five guns at auction that went for half their true value even after commission; all were exceptional condition. Think I've kept one.
    Its the case of keep a look out as you travel about, and the rest is luck.

Its all in the knowledge, which you boys have helped me with. Thank you. Having said that there is stuff that I haven't a clue about.
    Lastly there are places to sell that do better than others depending on what it is. Once you are confident of your valuation then keep your options open and find the target market by trying different sales routes. If it doesn't sell in one place then try somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Pete,

Couldn't let you slip that one in unnoticed.

Opinion is still divided on this issue. You believe the Juvenile is the rarer and everybody else thinks the Junior is less common !

When are you going to get Lakey to sort this out once and for all ?

Regards

Brian

Does indeed seem to be just me, Lakey refused to save my minor credibility, in favour of a 'not really sure' answer. I even tried to bribe him

Whoops, just tripped over another JNR

I said 'yes' to a nice, supposedly rare - one of 10 only, but with no proof of provenance - Airsporter on here some years ago offered at a reasonable price.

The seller (who was banned therafter) then commenced to run a dutch auction between me and another member. I got the gun eventually, but payed a lot for it.

I never found out who the other member was, but I was disappointed that he should have tried to gazump me when I was the first to say I'd take it, both on thread and by PM.

I guess by still managing to acquire the rifle, I put one over on him, but it cost me dear, so I take no comfort from the fact.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I said 'yes' to a nice, supposedly rare - one of 10 only, but with no proof of provenance - Airsporter on here some years ago offered at a reasonable price.

The seller (who was banned therafter) then commenced to run a dutch auction between me and another member. I got the gun eventually, but payed a lot for it.

I never found out who the other member was, but I was disappointed that he should have tried to gazump me when I was the first to say I'd take it, both on thread and by PM.

I guess by still managing to acquire the rifle, I put one over on him, but it cost me dear, so I take no comfort from the fact.
    Hi Paul,

I can see how that experience would sour the deal and it would have been tempting to tell the seller to shove it.

I'm curious though as to which model of Airsporter you acquired? 1 of 10?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi Paul,

I can see how that experience would sour the deal and it would have been tempting to tell the seller to shove it.

I'm curious though as to which model of Airsporter you acquired? 1 of 10?

John
    Hi John,

Its a Mk 11 in 0.177 (but not a Club) and was supposedly 1 of 10 specially commissioned by Gamidges in London, with a higher quality stock. Its completely original, including the front sight protector and almost mint (one or two very small marks on the stock). It certainly looks very nice and is a good example of a Mk 11, regardless of provenance.

I was very tempted to tell him to shove it, but really wanted it and the thought of the mysterious gazumper getting it was too much to bear.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Hi John,

Its a Mk 11 in 0.177 (but not a Club) and was supposedly 1 of 10 specially commissioned by Gamidges in London, with a higher quality stock. Its completely original, including the front sight protector and almost mint (one or two very small marks on the stock). It certainly looks very nice and is a good example of a Mk 11, regardless of provenance.

I was very tempted to tell him to shove it, but really wanted it and the thought of the mysterious gazumper getting it was too much to bear.
    Paul, John, there are pics of this beautiful rifle here, taken by the dutch auctioneer (no, I wasn't the would-be gazumper).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Paul, John, there are pics of this beautiful rifle here, taken by the dutch auctioneer (no, I wasn't the would-be gazumper).

Very nice, you don't see many like that....

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Thanks Danny. I would have posted them myself, but I'm abroad at the moment with no access to my files.

You are right, the guy holding the rifle was the auctioneer.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.

Thanks Danny and Paul. That is one very nice rifle with a nicely figured stock too.

The Gamages link is an interesting one. Mark Knibbs should be able to tell you if your rifle was part of a batch originally sent to Gamages and will confirm the total number in the batch. That ought to help with provenance and is well worth following up if you get the chance. I have some pre war Gamages catalogues but nothing post war. It makes sense they continued to sell BSA products though.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Danny and Paul. That is one very nice rifle with a nicely figured stock too.

The Gamages link is an interesting one. Mark Knibbs should be able to tell you if your rifle was part of a batch originally sent to Gamages and will confirm the total number in the batch. That ought to help with provenance and is well worth following up if you get the chance. I have some pre war Gamages catalogues but nothing post war. It makes sense they continued to sell BSA products though.

John
    Thanks John - I've fired off an email to Knibbs. I hadn't thought of looking into this any further, but it would be nice to know more. I'll post any info I get.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.