Thread: Scope for Ace

Scope for Ace

When the sharps ace was first imported ( can't remember the year ) i bought one, which i used a lot for lamping rabbits. But eventually it took more and more of a back seat untill i didn't use it at all. A couple of months ago i decided to have it reblued and resealed and generally give it another lease of life. I have used the the original scope ( 4x40 ) on a bsa mercury i have and don't want to take it off that now.

So the question is what would be a suitable scope for the ace and with jap optics of the same period as the ace?

Scope fpr ace

I think you'll find they're fussy which mounts will fit so you may have to re use the mounts on your 4x40 if they fit well. i'd recommend a little simmons whitetail 1.5-5x20wa as they're a top heavy gun I found & a light little scope affects the balance a lot less. BTW a set of reach back mounts will suit your mercury better, look for a set of sportsmatch they fit well. I have a little simmonds 8 point 1,5-5x32 with these mounts spare if you are interested. Came off my merc .25 now sold so I know they fit well & give the correct eye relief without craning your neck foreward.

The WTC came out in 1993 ish so a bit modern! An early Jap built Tasco would be my choice, or Kassnar if you must. A Hakko if you can find one.

IIRC Sportsmatch did a one piece mount with relieved dove tail and pellet slot on the side for the Ace.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Any Optima or Early ASI scope.

The Bushmaster range of scopes was very nice , had several of those in the day

Mike

I have on top of mine a Tasco silver antler 3x9x40 which seems to do the trick.
    I AM NOT A NUMBER ! THE PRISONER

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133002

Thumbs up

I have a Fontaine on mine that I bought from the sales corner on here some years ago

I didn't have any mounts that would clear the small diameter receiver so I set about a pair with a rat tail file and made these fit!!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I have a Fontaine on mine that I bought from the sales corner on here some years ago

I didn't have any mounts that would clear the small diameter receiver so I set about a pair with a rat tail file and made these fit!!!

John
    I did exactly the same John

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I did exactly the same John

Matty
    I think great minds think alike Matt

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    I think you'll find they're fussy which mounts will fit so you may have to re use the mounts on your 4x40 if they fit well. i'd recommend a little simmons whitetail 1.5-5x20wa as they're a top heavy gun I found & a light little scope affects the balance a lot less. BTW a set of reach back mounts will suit your mercury better, look for a set of sportsmatch they fit well. I have a little simmonds 8 point 1,5-5x32 with these mounts spare if you are interested. Came off my merc .25 now sold so I know they fit well & give the correct eye relief without craning your neck foreward.

I have an apel one piece mount on the mercury which i got from I.J a few years ago, so everything is set up ok on the mercury. As said earlier i think the simmons is a little too modern. I think i will just have to keep an eye out in the sales section for one of the other scopes mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    I have an apel one piece mount on the mercury which i got from I.J a few years ago, so everything is set up ok on the mercury. As said earlier i think the simmons is a little too modern.
    An Apel? Off me? You must have caught me on a good day.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk