Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
That's good news indeed.

Unfortunately a word of warning.

Not all people are honest, not even those vendors that have been on Egun for yonks.

Watch out for certain dealers, particularly.

The telltale signs are usually a gun that is photographed from interesting angles, which you may mistake for arty photography - and a low buy it now price.

I have had two issues from the same dealer in the same manner. The first time I thought it was a fluke and indeed the damage was not easily visible, the second, the fancy photography gave the impression that the gun was a near minter when it was rusty and someone had taken a rasp to the stock at the trigger guard area, conveniently excluded from any photography.

A private seller also claimed that the buttpad photographed with and forming part of a stock I bought must have "fallen out" of the box while in transit. Must have unscrewed itself, too.

I'd recommend never rushing for the buy it nows unless you feel good about the deal and are prepared to risk it, and ask for as many additional photos are you think you need. What you don't see, especially if you don't get a response to your request, assume the worst and hope for the best.
All excellent advice. I've been very fortunate over the last decade on eGun, just dealing with a single rogue seller, who turned out to be a soldier in the German infantry. A letter to the local chief of police (with the generous help and advice of the BBS's Mik B) produced the missing air rifle, after his commanding officer was warned that criminal proceedings had started!

The point above about the pics on eGun is correct. They are often awful, mainly I think innocently, but I'm sure there are dodgy dealers among the legions of honest folk.

Bad pics can very occasionally work to your advantage, though, in disguising something valuable. I once bought a beautiful, near flawless Feinwerkbau 300T for about Ģ50 because the one dark pic showed part of the right side only, with just a hint of the reverse curve of a Tyrolean cheekpiece - enough for me to be fairly confident of what it was, but fortunately not enough to tip off other bidders.