Thread: Should we go back to using paper shotgun cartridges?

Should we go back to using paper shotgun cartridges?

Plastic cartridges have got to be one of the most difficult items to dispose of in large quantities. In fact there does not seem any way they can be disposed of, other than in small numbers in the dustbin.

A clay shoot near me has got a skip and 3 jumbo bags full of plastic cases and the amount increases every week. This must be happenning all over the country.

The downside of plastic, in my opinion, is that they stay on the ground years after they have been shot, if they are left there, and some people do leave them. You can get static caused by them rubbing together that attracts grime that can end up in the chamber of the gun, which does not do it any good.
    As for them being waterproof, I see no real advantage over varnished paper cases which are moisture resistant, and to some degree waterproof enough for most of us.
    Perhaps plastic should be used only for shooting over marshes and wetlands where it is likely the user will be out in bad weather.
    For the rest, that shoot over fields or inland ponds then paper is more than adequate. paper will rot away and eventually the head will rust away as well.

I know they should not be left where you shoot but people do leave them. Discarded cases can choke cattle so they should be collected up.

What do others think?

I'm sure bisley used the surplus from the NSC to coat the car park at short siberia.

My old recycling centre takes hard plastics, but I guess they would want the metal removed first.

Could the manufacturers take them back and reload them? Guess its not worth the hassle and probably cost more.

Perhaps an open letter to BASC , CPSA and ammo makers in one of the shooting mags might get the ball rolling? You might get letter of the month and win something too

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    I'm sure bisley used the surplus from the NSC to coat the car park at short siberia.

My old recycling centre takes hard plastics, but I guess they would want the metal removed first.

Could the manufacturers take them back and reload them? Guess its not worth the hassle and probably cost more.

Perhaps an open letter to BASC , CPSA and ammo makers in one of the shooting mags might get the ball rolling? You might get letter of the month and win something too
    I have already had a couple of prize letters. I don't want to be greedy.

I would,however, be interested in the views of the many BBS members on here.

Is this a replacement thread?? Sure I commented earlier...

Anyway, I think it's a good idea. Probably far easier to recycle than plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post

didn't they also use them to stabilise the ground in front of the firing point as well?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Problem already sorted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55hsMP-yQw

People should stop being such slovenly twats if it's a littering issue.

Not sure about the static issue either tbh.

About 15 years ago my late mother allowed a group to clay shoot at our farm they left behind 3 huge piles of half burnt cartridges about 4' wide x 2' high.

Mind you they also knocked out a 10' x 6' section of a stable wall to shoot from wa**ers.

Simple answer is its our fault :- 'Well I don't include myself ill explain later '

Shooters buy cheap cartridges, that equals cheapest production methods. Which is why plastic cases are used and worst of all PLASTIC wads !

Plastic wads should be banned by the end of 2015 as they are the unseen pollution that is thrown all over the place by shooters.

Why don't I include myself is simple, My son shoots 28g so I reload the cases as much as I can using Fibre wads, My wife uses 20g fibre wads and all cases come home and go in recycle bin, I have not shot a plastic wad in over 20 years and also take my cases home.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Why can't the manufacturers switch plastics to a photo degradable type? Does such a material exist, or did I immagine it?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

CPSA and Clubs don't help, I believe that you can't use home loaded cartridges at most if not all grounds/ registered comps.