Thread: Match barrels and match pellets.

Match barrels and match pellets.

Is there the same variation in match barrels that one finds in sporting airgun barrels.

For example my Walther LGU prefers JSB 4.53 while my LGV likes 4.51, and my Weihrauchs prefer H&N FTT or Superdomes.

I know that for match guns RWS R10 are good pellets, but most prefer H&N Finale Match.

Are there certain types of match guns that prefer one head size over another or is it just a case of suck it and see?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Match barrels are much like any other, fixed batch testing is the only real method of finding out what's best, that said I done this recently with my LP2 using R10 4.49 pistol, R10 4.50 pistol, R10 4.50 rifle, JSB match and RWS Geco's, whilst the R10 rifle were the best the difference was so little in the others I doubt it would have any real effect on my scores, interestingly though the Geco's came in 2nd best and yet are by far the cheapest at less than half the price of the others, my thought are that buying the Geco's and getting twice as many pellets for my money and practicing more will improve my scores far more than the most expensive pellets
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Match barrels are much like any other, fixed batch testing is the only real method of finding out what's best, that said I done this recently with my LP2 using R10 4.49 pistol, R10 4.50 pistol, R10 4.50 rifle, JSB match and RWS Geco's, whilst the R10 rifle were the best the difference was so little in the others I doubt it would have any real effect on my scores, interestingly though the Geco's came in 2nd best and yet are by far the cheapest at less than half the price of the others, my thought are that buying the Geco's and getting twice as many pellets for my money and practicing more will improve my scores far more than the most expensive pellets
    Agree entirely, testing in my Steyr pistols showed no difference between match pellets (those above and others) and Bisley practice. I now buy the latter in big batches and use them in both pistols in several different comps. I get through many thousand each season.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks for your replies.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Just about the only "pellet" my FwB 80 shoots badly is Gammo round ball. It seems to shoot Hobby just as well as Meister Kugeln, and Marksman almost as well as either of those.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Hmm from my head:
    my LG300: RWS R10
    my Tau mk300: CP's??!!
    my Tau mk8: ónly shoot well with Qing Juan chinese stuff
    my Tau 7 match and silhouet: JSB RIFLE match, 4.51
    my Tau 7 jr: JSB pistol match 4.49
    Tau 200 BT: JSB and CP???!!
    Steyr LP5: RWS R10
    Alfa Proj co2 rifle: Finale match
    Tau mk200: old batch RWS R10
    Morini 162: Finale match iirc 4.49
    Aeron Spider: JSB match pistol iirc