Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .577 Snider brass

.577 Snider brass

I've been asked by a mate living overseas to get him some .577 brass and a supply of bullets. Kranks seem to have the brass but at £4.60 a case, they're not cheap. Does anyone know anywhere else I can get them? - I'm looking for 20 cases and bullets.

Thanks in advance.

snider

the cheapest way is to get CBC 24 gauge shot gun brass and cut it down,
    .590 bullets I can let you have some,
    Cheers,T

Hi Where does your friend live, as shipping would be expensive. It may be easier to buy moulds and cast his own(more fun that way).
    There is classic arms fair on 18th October at Bisley( Please confirm the date), and there is normally somebody selling brass there. In the past that is where I got mine from.

A

Quote Originally Posted by TALL View Post
    the cheapest way is to get CBC 24 gauge shot gun brass and cut it down,
    .590 bullets I can let you have some,
    Cheers,T
    I use CBC cases too but it be a lot easier for him to use .590 or .600 round ball if it will chamber in a plastic shotgun hull in 24 ga etc.....that way he doesn't need to buy dies etc

I have 3 boxes of Magtech 24g brass all unused. They can be easily formed into snider cases. There's 25 per box and they can be £20.00 per box plus post.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I have 3 boxes of Magtech 24g brass all unused. They can be easily formed into snider cases. There's 25 per box and they can be £20.00 per box plus post.
    How bout 65 posted

Thanks all.

Mark, I'll let him know about this and get back to you within 24 hrs.

I'll give 1st dibs as above to the OP but after that Loiner your offer will be acceptable.

I'll give 1st dibs as above to the OP but after that Loiner your offer will be acceptable.
    Ok let me know if I can have them and payment details etc

Thanks Mark
    I'll take them please. Send me a PM as to how you'd prefer me to pay you.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Thanks Mark
    I'll take them please. Send me a PM as to how you'd prefer me to pay you.
    You will need to trim to length ( YouTube it as I cannot remember lol) then anneal the cases.
    You will then need to full length size them as they will not chamber as they are slightly tapered .
    Most people who have Nepalese versions use 24ga shotgun plastic hulls cut to around 2 inches then they use the round ball just pushed in.
    Good luck and these cases will last a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    You will need to trim to length ( YouTube it as I cannot remember lol) then anneal the cases.
    You will then need to full length size them as they will not chamber as they are slightly tapered .
    Most people who have Nepalese versions use 24ga shotgun plastic hulls cut to around 2 inches then they use the round ball just pushed in.
    Good luck and these cases will last a lifetime
    Thanks.

How is he going to neck size these cases without the suitable die? Dies sets are, uh, costy, to say the least - around £120 or so. Even the shell Holder - available here in UK from Vermont Guns - costs £18.00.

What press is he going to hold the die in - always supposing that he actually has a press? You need a press in which the large top nut can be removed to insert the gigantic Snider dies.

Ball is by far the cheapest way to go, since the CORRECT bullet moulds for the Snider bullet - a large but very short bullet with a very pronounced 'waist' - are around $150 or so.

Is the pal in Australia? If so, the Bertram Brass cases, made there, are less than half the UK price [well, I never.......]

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    How is he going to neck size these cases without the suitable die? Dies sets are, uh, costy, to say the least - around £120 or so. Even the shell Holder - available here in UK from Vermont Guns - costs £18.00.

What press is he going to hold the die in - always supposing that he actually has a press? You need a press in which the large top nut can be removed to insert the gigantic Snider dies.

Ball is by far the cheapest way to go, since the CORRECT bullet moulds for the Snider bullet - a large but very short bullet with a very pronounced 'waist' - are around $150 or so.

Is the pal in Australia? If so, the Bertram Brass cases, made there, are less than half the UK price [well, I never.......]

tac
    Thanks for the input Tac and the truth is I don't know. However, he is a RFD so hopefully he can get it sorted himself. (Which isn't to say that ALL RFDs could do so )

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Thanks for the input Tac and the truth is I don't know. However, he is a RFD so hopefully he can get it sorted himself. (Which isn't to say that ALL RFDs could do so )
    You still haven't old us where he lives? If it's Canada or the US I can put him in touch with the right people to help him out.

tac