Thread: Beeman P17 (HW40) upgrades / custom jobs anyone?

Beeman P17 (HW40) upgrades / custom jobs anyone?

With long term tendon pull problems in both my elbows my heavy Hatzan has sat in it's case for about 4 months now. Wanting to still shoot something I brought a Beeman P17. Think I got lucky with mine too as it's currently averaging about 3.1 ft/lbs according to my Combro mk4 crono after 100 shots. Just 7fps difference over 10 shots using H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme (used in my Hatzan). 'Used to be Eley' Wasps are a looser fit in the barrel and gave a 16 fps difference over 10 shots.
    Just put a pistol scope on it today. It's still a stock pistol though I have wipped out the piston to check for any burrs on the air intake but found none. Apart from fixing seal / firing problems I've not found any UK custom jobs showing up here like a couple of forums across the pond. Not joined them, just been researching the P17 before spending my money. Let us know if you've been tinkering with yours, I like to know what tweaks have been tried and what parts you used if required.

Cheers!
    Last edited by wayfoward; 02-10-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added a full stop....
    Own a: Gammo Coyote .177, Sharp Innova .22 (collecting dust), Beeman P17. RATS member.

Not a lot you can do to them. I modified the trigger sear mech when i had mine as there was far too much creep on the second stage pull.
    Ex-Airgunner

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    Not a lot you can do to them. I modified the trigger sear mech when i had mine as there was far too much creep on the second stage pull.
    Got me interested about the "creep". My three year old P17 has over time turned into almost a double action type roll. There are wear grooves on the nut at base of valve stem which I thought might be causing the longer pull, but maybe not after what you said. Can you tell us exactly what you did to the sear and do you now have a crisp trigger with adjustable slack please? ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    Not a lot you can do to them.
    Not according to a US forum thread. Assuming linking to other airgun forums is a no no so google 'beeman p17 builds/mods'. It's a real long thread, 26 pages. Look for user 'stalwart'. Better triggers, longer barrels, adjustable pistons, pistons with 2 o rings. Just suprised not many here are trying this sort of stuff as the pistols been around for quite a while now.
    Own a: Gammo Coyote .177, Sharp Innova .22 (collecting dust), Beeman P17. RATS member.

Modifying the trigger involves filing off part of the sear engagement (in very minute steps to avoid rendering it inoperable), but I can't remember which bit as it's been over a year since I had one.
    Ex-Airgunner

Beeman P17 ( hw40 )

I must be honest I loved the HW40 straight out of the box, accurate and a very responsive trigger.

Beeman P17 or HW40

Hi my HW40 did not need any trigger mods, it shot perfectly straight from the box. The HW40 is a really accurate SSP Pistol. I know guys who have modified the trigger slightly and I have shot them and I cant see any difference.

I put a longer .22 barrel on my .177 nemesis.. becase of the calibre change, results were inconclusive. I was looking for a power increase.. I think I ended up with a bit more power, but couldnt say whether it was the calibre, length of barrel or both.
    Its basically an entry level 10m pistol anyway, whichever way you bottle it - same as the nemesis. Ive juts had a play with mine in the shed.. the worst thing about mine is the grips... I had a shot of a ROHM the other week and found that the cant on the wrist on the target grips really does help with consistency...

sorry for sidetracking there, but in a roundabout way Im asking, what more do you want from a pistol like this... it does what its meant to do - introduce you to recoiless target shooting
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by plinker177 View Post
    Hi my HW40 did not need any trigger mods, it shot perfectly straight from the box. The HW40 is a really accurate SSP Pistol. I know guys who have modified the trigger slightly and I have shot them and I cant see any difference.
    I agree. The HW40 is a great little gun with a great trigger. The P17 is quite good too but not the same long term build quality. There again the prices of each reflect that! As I said above, over time the P17 has developed into a rolling trigger, like a double action. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by plinker177 View Post
    Having said that, I was modding the trigger on the P17. I have had the use of of a mates HW40 and the trigger was better (I used his to set up my trigger). Comparing the two, once you've sorted the trigger on a P17, there's not much in it for accuracy, both on par with each other.
    Ex-Airgunner

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I put a longer .22 barrel on my .177 nemesis.. becase of the calibre change, results were inconclusive. I was looking for a power increase.. I think I ended up with a bit more power, but couldnt say whether it was the calibre, length of barrel or both.
    Its basically an entry level 10m pistol anyway, whichever way you bottle it - same as the nemesis. Ive juts had a play with mine in the shed.. the worst thing about mine is the grips... I had a shot of a ROHM the other week and found that the cant on the wrist on the target grips really does help with consistency...

sorry for sidetracking there, but in a roundabout way Im asking, what more do you want from a pistol like this... it does what its meant to do - introduce you to recoiless target shooting
    Changing caliber should'nt change the pistols power but a longer barrel could. Did you chronograph the .22 and get fps? In regards to what I want from the pistol, I like to tinker, legally of course. I prefer plinking to paper target shooting and would like my spinners to spin a bit more energetically at 10 meters. I think I should look for a nackered P17 to buy for spares / tinkering as I think my new ones pretty good out of the box.

Donald