Thread: Fielding auction Lot 660 - engraved BSA Light... anyone here get it?

Fielding auction Lot 660 - engraved BSA Light... anyone here get it?

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/au...-a51a00e5803e#

...just wondered if anyone here was the successful internet bidder who 'trumped' my commission bid?

aimless Guest

not me,

but I would adopt this beauty...

nice, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post

...just wondered if anyone here was the successful internet bidder who 'trumped' my commission bid?
    Me neither. I think if I wanted an engraved BSA, I'd go the whole nine yards.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Estimate £60-90?,that's a come and get me,what did it actually go to?.

Hammer was £290.... (i was watching)...
    ...i managed to leave a commission bid via reception for £280 - so the internet bidder who won only pipped me. If i'd managed to get online clearance sorted (they needed me registered the day before apparently) then maybe i would have squeezed for more.

But: i noticed the description also says it comes with a case?

Oh well - a whim just because it was engraved - and there aren't that many engraved BSA's around

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Me neither. I think if I wanted an engraved BSA, I'd go the whole nine yards.
    Don't you mean "the-whole-nine-yards-with-knobs-on" ?
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...SA+Light+Model

Don't you mean "the-whole-nine-yards-with-knobs-on" ?
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/67044...SA+Light+Model
    Actually, Richard, I find that one too gaudy with all that gold leaf, impressive though the lion surely is! On the other one, I think the Spode engraving is superb and really adds to the rifle - and I never thought I'd read myself write that.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Not me neither. The scroll engraving looks like Don Blocksidge's work.

John

Actually, Richard, I find that one too gaudy with all that gold leaf, impressive though the lion surely is! On the other one, I think the Spode engraving is superb and really adds to the rifle - and I never thought I'd read myself write that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Not me neither. The scroll engraving looks like Don Blocksidge's work.

John
    .....woah there - hang on guys. I've just realised something...
    .....was this an engraved BSA neither of you were aware of before?

[if so - damnnnn]

I tend to agree with Danny regarding engraving. No reflection on the quality of the workmanship involved, but I guess as with Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I must admit to preferring a conservative approach to gun decoration which can sometimes result more in a piece of art rather than a functional item. For me, the beauty comes with an admiration for the high level of engineering and superb standard finish which often accompanies older guns.

Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    I tend to agree with Danny regarding engraving. No reflection on the quality of the workmanship involved, but I guess as with Marmite, you either love it or hate it. I must admit to preferring a conservative approach to gun decoration which can sometimes result more in a piece of art rather than a functional item. For me, the beauty comes with an admiration for the high level of engineering and superb standard finish which often accompanies older guns.

Beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards

Brian
    plain gun versus engraved gun.

Now that is a debate all by itself. On the one hand you could argue any decoration is pointless - just as easily as too much is to the detriment of the gun because it hampers the gun's more essential purpose and functionality.

However, scan through any Holt's catalogue, and there is going to be at least one (shotgun or big bore rifle) that has something so extraordinary emblazoned on it that most of us either wince - or exclamations of "you must be joking" are muttered!

I agree whole-heartedly with the sentiment 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.
    And 99% of the time i would lean towards the conservatiove approach (which is why i was bidding on that BSA Light - just perfect: and the stock looked so right and not too 'not overworked').

But with The BSA with the Lion: ...well.... that just makes me smile. Beautifully done - somehow reminiscent of the old west and a whiff of 'Buffalo Bill' - so maybe still marmite - but in this case just spread thicker.

.....woah there - hang on guys. I've just realised something...
    .....was this an engraved BSA neither of you were aware of before?

[if so - damnnnn]
    'fraid so with me. The first I knew of this rifle was your post. I have some of Don's engraved Webley pistols in my collection and they are exquisite. I can accept engraved Webleys due to Don's connection with the firm but not sure I could do so with a BSA underlever. The engraving is top quality and subtle but I would still choose an honest BSA, given the choice. That said, the price this one went for is cheap in my opinion as engraving of this quality would cost way more on a shotgun or sporting rifle. I'm pleased there is a demand for rifles like this BSA though, despite my reluctance to provide rack space for one.

John

aimless Guest

engraved vs. plain

just to mention (in case you have not see my link in an other thread..)

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=5603585

I would guess at the end: maybe 2300,- €...????