Thread: Surplus Military Brass

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Surplus Military Brass

Just had a call from a relative that a local car boot chap has tonnes of what appear to be once fired 5.56 military brass marked with the following on the base:

"L17A2 RG07"

Do these letters / numbers mean anything to anyone on here? Anybody use once fired military brass or see any problems using it before I take the plunge and try some?

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Check if it's berdan or boxer primed by looking down the case- if it's got two primer holes rather than one central one it's worthless* for reloading

* In before the usual: Yes, I am aware some people can and do reload berdan primed cases. It is a lot of arse ache though.

I'm guessing the R G stands for Radway Green. Probably berden primed in which case it's not worth bothering about, if it's boxer primed is should be good.

Military brass

If it is Boxer primed, it will be crimped....one more job to do before reloading....there is plenty of cheap once fired brass about..Boxer and not crimped. I just bought 100 RWS Target once fired 308 cases for £17.

amc577

I'll do some checking and find out. I can't see a bit of crimping being a problem, surely the FL resizing die will push that out?

These cases are pennies so could either be a waste of space or a bargain!

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

Crimp

The resizing die will not remove the crimp...you can buy various tools to do the job...the Lee case trimming tool will do the job but it is a slow job.

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    I'll do some checking and find out. I can't see a bit of crimping being a problem, surely the FL resizing die will push that out?

These cases are pennies so could either be a waste of space or a bargain!
    if accuracy is your game ..think you'd be better off with some basic remington .....plenty of reloads out of them....or there is bound to be some once fired stuff going cheap and cheerful. "bargain" and consistent / accurate dont always sit well together in my experience.
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g