Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excellent Gevaret, live and learn.

Excellent Gevaret, live and learn.

I have had one of these quirky, bicycle pump pneumatics for a few years now and always thought that the word 'Gevaret' was the maker or a form of model ... but 'no'. A Norwegian friend visited us last week and told me that 'Gevaret' was simply the Swedish word for 'rifle'. Maybe you all know this but I did not ... although by looking at the word, it is easy to see the similarity with the German 'luftgewehr' (air rifle).

I have looked for 5.4mm ball to feed this 'Excellent rifle' for some time and failed. Anyone know where to find any? I took to rolling my own from 5.5mm pellets but that is a bit tedious.

Cheers, Phil

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    I use a sizer to get a .22 down to 5,4. About 5 seconds each.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    I use a sizer to get a .22 down to 5,4. About 5 seconds each.

Dave
    how can a sizer be used on ball?

try a gunshop for sssssg shotgun shot,they are 5.44mm.probably a bit of a bugger to get hold of but you'll get an awful lot for not a lot of money.

Swedish word for rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    I have had one of these quirky, bicycle pump pneumatics for a few years now and always thought that the word 'Gevaret' was the maker or a form of model ... but 'no'. A Norwegian friend visited us last week and told me that 'Gevaret' was simply the Swedish word for 'rifle'. Maybe you all know this but I did not ... although by looking at the word, it is easy to see the similarity with the German 'luftgewehr' (air rifle).

I have looked for 5.4mm ball to feed this 'Excellent rifle' for some time and failed. Anyone know where to find any? I took to rolling my own from 5.5mm pellets but that is a bit tedious.

Cheers, Phil
    is "riffel" Gevär means Gun , like "Airgun" luftgevär ,

Gerald Cardew made me a sizer for mine and I used sized down Marksman pellets rather than ball, which worked a treat. H&N used to supply 5.4mm ball but the pellets were more accurate in my old rifle.

John

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    It doesn't, I use pellets. These are pretty low on power, so it's only a fun thing. I gave up trying to get 5,4 balls.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

5.4/ 5.5

Last time I had one of these I just used a brass pellet probe. Push a normal 5.5 mm pellet in and size it down as you load....it's soft lead. Maybe mine had a tapered bore to favour pellets?

These guns have something to do with Bahco, the swedish saw and tool makers. Dont know where, but I read it somewhere I think ?

nope

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    These guns have something to do with Bahco, the swedish saw and tool makers. Dont know where, but I read it somewhere I think ?
    But Bahco made one long time ago , copi , Excellent 1906-1966 i think.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...0058/Excellent
    ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by aircol View Post
    But Bahco made one long time ago , copi , Excellent 1906-1966 i think.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...0058/Excellent
    ;-)
    I still have a Bhaco , In good condition, & Valued in the Blue book at $750 in good condition,
    This is the gun from which the Excellent was copied.
    These date from just prior to the 1900s - 1905, All were 4.4-5 mm, Marked on the top Model IS.
    Pics & Info should be in the " search " section .

Ged.

aimless Guest

translation

As swedish is quite similar to german, there is often the problem tanslating "gun" and "rifle"

"Gewehr / Geväret" is IMHO rifle.

Gun can be translated with rifle but has IMHO the meaning of "weapon (.... arm) to shoot with ". So weapon (gun) describes pistol and rifle.

Here is a Bahco I resealed for someone. Used a bicycle valve rubber for the exit valve for the pump and pushed some pellets through the barrel with a rod to re-size them for testing the finished job. Air release similar in operation to the Schimel, you push the button at the back forward to cock and block the little reservoir.

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 06-10-2015 at 02:49 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quite funny in a Danes ears

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    As swedish is quite similar to german, there is often the problem tanslating "gun" and "rifle"

"Gewehr / Geväret" is IMHO rifle.

Gun can be translated with rifle but has IMHO the meaning of "weapon (.... arm) to shoot with ". So weapon (gun) describes pistol and rifle.
    German and swedish are not even close Danish-Norwedian and swedish are very much alike , a lot of words are the same , trust me when i say "gevär" is gun , i read-write and speak swedish , but i am Danish

So now i got the facts

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    I still have a Bhaco , In good condition, & Valued in the Blue book at $750 in good condition,
    This is the gun from which the Excellent was copied.
    These date from just prior to the 1900s - 1905, All were 4.4-5 mm, Marked on the top Model IS.
    Pics & Info should be in the " search " section .

Ged.
    from Bo Fred(bosse) sweden , with no doubt excellent expert .
    The excellent factory has the patent in 1905 , but in 1913 they had their guns produced at Bahco , while Bromen/excellent built a new factory in Stockholm, in that periode Bahco was allowed to sell some guns during Bahco name.