Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electronic Digital Calipers - recommendation please.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    As someone else remarked - none of us can tell others how to do it, only how we do it...
    Absoultely Mik, if I knew enough to get a decent pair like the one's you have no doubt my view would be different.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Absoultely Mik, if I knew enough to get a decent pair like the one's you have no doubt my view would be different.
    Well, I happened to be around in about '76 - '77 when the dial caliper thingys first hit the machine shops. They were the best things since sliced bread for a couple of months, then they started skipping teeth on their gears and everyone went back to Verniers and mics, cursing Mitutoyo (IIRC) under their breath. I'm afraid that soured my view permanently - possibly unfairly.

The fact that people are still buying them suggests things have improved mightily - but you don't forget how to read Verniers and mics and there's very little to go wrong without it being obvious if you know how to use them properly.

I was mistrustful of my first 2 digital calipers; they weren't as good as Vernier and mic and failed after a few months - but I think the M&W ones now represent a mature technology.

So far at any rate...
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    Well, I happened to be around in about '76 - '77 when the dial caliper thingys first hit the machine shops. They were the best things since sliced bread for a couple of months, then they started skipping teeth on their gears and everyone went back to Verniers and mics, cursing Mitutoyo (IIRC) under their breath. I'm afraid that soured my view permanently - possibly unfairly.

The fact that people are still buying them suggests things have improved mightily - but you don't forget how to read Verniers and mics and there's very little to go wrong without it being obvious if you know how to use them properly.

I was mistrustful of my first 2 digital calipers; they weren't as good as Vernier and mic and failed after a few months - but I think the M&W ones now represent a mature technology.

So far at any rate...
    The annoying thing is that the pair I had were from Lidl and were about the same price as the M&W ones in that e bay link...

i I have an Imperial reading dial calliper, I might just pick up one of those M&W callipers for "metric work".
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.