Thread: Webley Mk2 Service Reailised Auction Prices.

Webley Mk2 Service Reailised Auction Prices.

Hi,

For those interested, the Webley Mk2 Service rifles for sale at today's Wallis & Wallis auction sold as follows:

Lot 123 3rd Series in .22 calibre listed as having been re-blued and with a modified rear sight, sold for £425 hammer so around £500 with costs.

Lot 124 3rd Series in much rarer .25 calibre with worn finish, sold for £850 hammer so around £1000 with costs.

The realised price difference would seem to have been largely attributable to calibre rather than anything else.

As an aside, the auctioneer noted that they were about to receive a very large collection of collectable air guns which will be part of a sale planned for November / December this year.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 07-10-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi,

For those interested, the Webley Mk2 Service rifles for sale at today's Wallis & Wallis auction sold as follows:

Lot 123 3rd Series in .22 calibre listed as having been re-blued and with a modified rear sight, sold for £425 hammer so around £500 with costs.

Lot 124 3rd Series in much rarer .25 calibre with worn finish, sold for £850 hammer so around £1000 with costs.

The realised price difference would seem to have been entirely attributable to calibre rather than anything else.

As an aside, the auctioneer noted that they were about to receive a very large collection of collectable air guns which will be part of a sale planned for November / December this year.

Regards

Brian
    Thanks Brian - interesting observation on the incoming collection.

Makes the £750 I paid for a .25 with a decent amount of finish and original matching barrel last year sound like a bargain then.

John

Did the .25 sell in the room? It said ex webley collection but when I emailed them to ask which lot as a member on here still had the catalogue and stated it was not in there and was told that it was from an ex webley employee which was the provenance that it was ex webley collection.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Did the .25 sell in the room? It said ex webley collection but when I emailed them to ask which lot as a member on here still had the catalogue and stated it was not in there and was told that it was from an ex webley employee which was the provenance that it was ex webley collection.
    Hi,

The .22 Mk2 Service (Lot 123) sold to the internet and the .25 rifle (Lot 124) sold in the room after quite a bit of competition.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Thanks Brian - interesting observation on the incoming collection.

John
    Hi John,

I wonder if the above may represent a change of venue for the second half of the David Swan collection (also scheduled for Nov/Dec) following the rather disappointing results from the Newcastle location.

Regards

Brian

Hi John,

I wonder if the above may represent a change of venue for the second half of the David Swan collection (also scheduled for Nov/Dec) following the rather disappointing results from the Newcastle location.

Regards

Brian
    It would make sense Brian - W&W or Holts would, I am sure obtain higher prices for the collection.

Could be several collections are up for sale and this may be a good time to buy...

Kind regards,

John

wallis and wallis

Hi, I will ring Anderson/Garland tomorrow, and see if the collection has been withdrawn, and post on here, Atb ray.

Hi John,

Regards

Brian
    That was my thought as well.

david swan collection

Hi, all, the second half of the David Swan action will be at Anderson /Garland on dec 1/2/3rd, I have had a sneak preview of the guns on offer (photos only) What a fantastic collection,butt flask,ball flask, bellows, Girandoni type repeaters, some cased with extra flasks ect, walking canes, about 60 items in no, stunning guns, ATB, Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by wrightonn View Post
    Hi, all, the second half of the David Swan action will be at Anderson /Garland on dec 1/2/3rd, I have had a sneak preview of the guns on offer (photos only) What a fantastic collection,butt flask,ball flask, bellows, Girandoni type repeaters, some cased with extra flasks ect, walking canes, about 60 items in no, stunning guns, ATB, Ray.
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for that. It would seem we will be having a couple of major sales around about the same time then which hopefully won't have a detrimental effect on one another.

Regards

Brian

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that. It would seem we will be having a couple of major sales around about the same time then which hopefully won't have a detrimental effect on one another.

Regards

Brian
    Another way of looking at it, Brian, is "hopefully will have a detrimental effect on one another"... Bargains are good for the hobby of collecting, it seems to me, if not necessarily for those who have collections that they are considering selling.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Another way of looking at it, Brian, is "hopefully will have a detrimental effect on one another"... Bargains are good for the hobby of collecting, it seems to me, if not necessarily for those who have collections that they are considering selling.
    I am with you on that one Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hi Danny,

That's certainly another way off looking at it and I guess sensible reserve prices should go some way to protecting the seller.

I have e mailed Wallis & Wallis to try and establish some more about their plans and will post details when they respond.

Regards

Brian

Hello,

Just received this reply from Wallis & Wallis regarding their earlier announcement of a forthcoming large sale of vintage air guns.

"Sorry, false alarm.

Regards

Marianne"

Doh !

Brian