Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VCR Rant...

VCR Rant...

Being a Born Again airgunner, haven't really a problem with this. Bought most of my guns s/hand from here, had them posted, no problem.
    Then I ordered a piston for one of my aged Wobbly pistols - I was astonished to learn I had to send the original one RD to the dealer to obtain the replacement. Or have it sent to a RFD for collection. Although the original could be returned to me upon request with the replacement item? WTF?

Is there some secret sect that use Webley pistons as the basis for Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Ok, rant over.

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

The same applies to barrels as well.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    Being a Born Again airgunner, haven't really a problem with this. Bought most of my guns s/hand from here, had them posted, no problem.
    Then I ordered a piston for one of my aged Wobbly pistols - I was astonished to learn I had to send the original one RD to the dealer to obtain the replacement. Or have it sent to a RFD for collection. Although the original could be returned to me upon request with the replacement item? WTF?

Is there some secret sect that use Webley pistons as the basis for Weapons of Mass Destruction?

Ok, rant over.

Bru
    Silly laws that was brought in by people who think they know best.

Surely gents, we can all sleep soundly knowing how much crime has been prevented by the VCR act

Especially stopping terrorists getting those toy guns!

The act is completely farcical,but is also evidence of the utter impotence of the shooting organisations that represent us,worryingly!

New Labour at its finest.

And some people still claim they were Thatcherite.

I wonder how many British retailers folded as a result. Anyone know?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    The act is completely farcical,but is also evidence of the utter impotence of the shooting organisations that represent us,worryingly!
    The sad, but unasssilable truth is we are a rag tag minority consisting of a few legitimate sportsman competing in organised events, a number of live quarry hunters viewed suspiciously by the majority of the public and a few collectors with quantities of guns that many outside our small world would find most troubling and we haven't even mentioned the few that shouldn't be in charge of a pointed stick let alone any form of firearm or air weapon...so the organistions you speak of aren't exactly negotiating from a position of strength

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    The sad, but unasssilable truth is we are a rag tag minority consisting of a few legitimate sportsman competing in organised events, a number of live quarry hunters viewed suspiciously by the majority of the public and a few collectors with quantities of guns that many outside our small world would find most troubling and we haven't even mentioned the few that shouldn't be in charge of a pointed stick let alone any form of firearm or air weapon...so the organistions you speak of aren't exactly negotiating from a position of strength

Exacerbated by the apathy of those that call this their sport!

The same applies to valve mechanisms for a Crosman 2200, as I was amazed to find out. Send the old one to the dealer and the dealer can send you a new one as it classes as a repair, but if you do not send the old one then the dealer has to send the new one to an RFD for your collection. I gave up and bought from the USA: cheaper as well.
    I assume it applies to any valve mechanism ...
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    New Labour at its finest.

And some people still claim they were Thatcherite.

I wonder how many British retailers folded as a result. Anyone know?
    i know of at least 1

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The same applies to barrels as well.
    But not to barrel blanks.... it's all very surreal
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by nattyjack View Post
    i know of at least 1
    For those that remember, Jeans Military Memories did - she took out a full page advert in Gun mart for a few months explaining to her customers exactly that.

Our sponsor has done well to survive given he used to have very keen prices on mail order because he did not have the retail shop overheads- it was great to pick up the phone and get your chosen rifle the next day !!!!

Ranter Returns...

Yes, a lot of the stuff re VCR act came as a surprise to me, as I'm a Born Againer.
    But not being able to buy a 'new' spare barrel in .177 for my Hurricane was an excuse to buy a whole Hurri 177 from here for a reasonable price...

It does seem absolutely ridiculous, some of the rules now. Going back to my original post, why on earth should I have to send back the original "Senior" piston to get a new one, especially as the firm were quite willing to return the old one?

I can, to be honest, understand some of the laws concerning MO of complete guns. When I was at school in the '70's, many schoolmates ordered Relums & similar from their mums catalogues, & would take potshots at anything that moved.

ATB

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by BSFNUT View Post
    For those that remember, Jeans Military Memories did - she took out a full page advert in Gun mart for a few months explaining to her customers exactly that.

Our sponsor has done well to survive given he used to have very keen prices on mail order because he did not have the retail shop overheads- it was great to pick up the phone and get your chosen rifle the next day !!!!
    Yes I remember Jean's shop and the ad! The shop ad was always worth reading to see what models the shop had in each month. Prices wee not the cheapest but not the highest either. I miss the ad and the business. I also remember ordering guns and accessories from our sponsor and receiving them next day.

The VCR act is another example of ill thought out legislation passed by half wits without paying any attention to shooting associations and businesses who end up having to work within the realms of the act. I don't think those intent on breaking the law have been in the least affected.

John