Thread: Collecting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Collecting

I've reflected on my collection over last week or so and its got me thinking (yep- it really did hurt my brain).

I know that I collect using my heart not my head. I collect guns that I take a fancy to (to own and use), rather than those which should appreciate in value and will be sought after in future years (in other words financial investments).

Have others arrived at this rationale behind their collecting? Am I alone in this or do other buy on impulse?

Or is there room for collecting both a rifle/pistol that you fancy owning/shooting AND which will appreciate in future years?

Dave

As an investment they don't add up, only in the value of ownership; you are doing well if you can just break even monetary wise, and that doesn't include your time.

The rest is just the fun of it, so don't worry. Buy what you like.

There are a heck of other things in life that cost a lot and no fun at all.

I've just bought another Park Rifle which makes me happy

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    Personally I buy with my heart, if something appeals it could be for a number of reasons, maybe as simple as just the wear and patina but it talks to you and you have to have it. I've never bought something because one day it will be worth more, It does concern me what will happen when I'm gone but not from a monetary point of view just that everything goes to collectors. Buy what you love has to be the way I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    I've reflected on my collection over last week or so and its got me thinking (yep- it really did hurt my brain).

I know that I collect using my heart not my head. I collect guns that I take a fancy to (to own and use), rather than those which should appreciate in value and will be sought after in future years (in other words financial investments).

Have others arrived at this rationale behind their collecting? Am I alone in this or do other buy on impulse?

Or is there room for collecting both a rifle/pistol that you fancy owning/shooting AND which will appreciate in future years?

Dave
    I think you have the right reasoning Dave. I too collect with my heart rather than an eye for investment, which is a nice side effect rather than primary reason.

All of my guns have to be in working order and any that do not shoot don't stay long. I enjoy the accessories such as pellet and original box packaging, sights, catalogues, advertising as much as the guns as they all help to build an overall picture of a specific period in time. The good thing about collectables is as long as you buy wisely and do not damage a gun while it is in your temporary care, you usually get your stake back, perhaps with a small profit when it comes to moving it on. That does not happen with most other pastimes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I think you have the right reasoning Dave. I too collect with my heart rather than an eye for investment, which is a nice side effect rather than primary reason.

All of my guns have to be in working order and any that do not shoot don't stay long. I enjoy the accessories such as pellet and original box packaging, sights, catalogues, advertising as much as the guns as they all help to build an overall picture of a specific period in time. The good thing about collectables is as long as you buy wisely and do not damage a gun while it is in your temporary care, you usually get your stake back, perhaps with a small profit when it comes to moving it on. That does not happen with most other pastimes.

John
    Hi,

I fully agree with JM's sentiments regarding collecting and have never bought anything with a view to making a future profit. In fact, I still have quite a few duplicated items in my collection which were notionally replaced when something in better condition came along.

Just about every hobby has a cost implication, so if I can break even financially when it comes to passing on my guns to future collectors, I will have had many years of pleasure at little or no cost.

Bargain.

Regards

Brian

Like the others, I collect with my heart, although I like to think my head makes an appearance when it's time to make a decision on cost/value! Occasionally I sell a gun at a loss, although most of the time I break even or make a small profit - which is then generally ploughed straight into 'investing' in another collectable.

One thing I've learned about myself over the years is how fickle I am, in terms of not being at all interested in something one minute and desperately yearning for it the next. Another is that I can talk myself into anything, such as 'if I buy this, I can sell the [less good] one I already have for £x, so I'm hardly really spending anything on it and it's much better than the one I have'. This calculation is usually made in about two milliseconds - the time it takes to click on the 'bid now' button.

PS I have a policy of never regretting a decision I've made...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Like the others, I collect with my heart, although I like to think my head makes an appearance when it's time to make a decision on cost/value! Occasionally I sell a gun at a loss, although most of the time I break even or make a small profit - which is then generally ploughed straight into 'investing' in another collectable.

One thing I've learned about myself over the years is how fickle I am, in terms of not being at all interested in something one minute and desperately yearning for it the next. Another is that I can talk myself into anything, such as 'if I buy this, I can sell the [less good] one I already have for £x, so I'm hardly really spending anything on it and it's much better than the one I have'. This calculation is usually made in about two milliseconds - the time it takes to click on the 'bid now' button.

PS I have a policy of never regretting a decision I've made...
    I agree wholeheartedly, although I have regretted selling certain items when collecting direction and/or finances dictated as I invariably ended up paying more for said item when another came along later.

John

I to collect with the heart, as long as l think it is a fair price to pay. there have been guns that l have realy wanted and maybe paid slighty over the odds at the time because they rarely come up for sale mostly from dealers, but l have not regreated it, l will also buy guns that need some/lot of TLC just because l don't have one, where some collectors would pass them over. having said that l am now having to downsize some as not having the room since moving house.