Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collecting

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Been there and done it. That's how I ended up with a collection of Webley pistols that Josie says '"All look the same" but we know different, eh? The trouble comes when you run out of space to display the collection and some dear old pieces have to leave.

John
    It's sad when you have to sell, John, I agree. When I said I have a policy of never regretting a decision, I meant it in relation to purchases, not sales. I have nothing but regrets there! The trouble with selling prized specimens is that when your fortunes pick up, or more space becomes available, it's too late...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Dave, I should just clarify that while I convince myself a new purchase is justified, necessary in fact, on the basis that I will recoup most of the cost by selling the less good condition duplicate, I rarely actually do it.

Strangely, when I compare the two side by side - my new acquisition and the one it is 'replacing' - almost invariably there is a difference I hadn't spotted before, which makes them completely different variations and so impossible to sell either of them.
    Hence my owning 17 HW35s.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Some interesting points made by all...since joining the forum to ask advice on a Webley Junior rifle I'd been gifted, I now have nearly 20 rifles & pistols, from the early '50's to brand new.
    Most are the guns I wanted as a kid, or ones I had owned back in the day. The new exceptions are a couple of CO2 revolvers, & an HW35.

I've no intention of profiting on future sales, most of mine are 'keepers' - ironically, the items I'm most likely to sell are the guns I bought new. No doubt at a loss. I will confess to recently buying a couple of boxed late Webley pistols because they were cheap(ish) - & I am very happy to be keeping them.

My next one will be a rough, loft find, £30 Meteor. Now doubt it will cost at least another £30 to get in GWO, & lots of elbow grease, but it will be a project I can share with my grandson.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post

I've no intention of profiting on future sales, most of mine are 'keepers' - ironically, the items I'm most likely to sell are the guns I bought new. No doubt at a loss.
    Tis true - its the new ones that I stand to loose the most with. A while ago I bought a Webley Rebel (Innova copy) out of curiosity and possible as a source of spares for my Innovas. I now see the shop I bought it from are selling them a half the price I paid.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Tis true - its the new ones that I stand to loose the most with. A while ago I bought a Webley Rebel (Innova copy) out of curiosity and possible as a source of spares for my Innovas. I now see the shop I bought it from are selling them a half the price I paid.
    Trust you to buy a Webley that was not made by Webley Ian! Should have gone for one of their classic pistols!!

John