Thread: Webley MkI Airpistol Spring Length

Webley MkI Airpistol Spring Length

Hi,
    I just bought a 1930s M1 Webley air pistol. Very pleased with it, but have a question. I know that these pistols are tough to cock, but this one is particularly difficult even after stripping and oiling.
    I noticed that the spring is longer than the spring from both my 50s Senior and 80s Hurricane. These both have springs about 6 3/8" long while the early Webley Mk1 spring is 7 3/8" - a full one inch longer!

Anyone out there with a MK1 who has measured the spring length? Keen to find out if this longer spring is original or a later replacement by a previous owner. If so it is likely over stressing the old parts and I need to replace it with one the right size.

Hoping for advice :-)

Steve

Pre War Mk 1 spring length.

According to the Gordon Bruce 'bible', the mainspring is 7", max 7.25" & 36 coils.

HTH

PS I recently bought a Senior that was a total beggar to cock. Oiled linkages & so on. Sweet FA difference. Then I noticed a hairline crack 75% of the way round the piston - of course as the gun was being cocked the piston was flexing & catching on the bore.. Only time I've heard of this with a Wobbly. New piston in, much better, but still harder to cock than my later Premier/Hurricanes & Tempest.
    Last edited by laverdabru; 12-10-2015 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Just remembered.
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Hi, Webley did actually change the mainspring dimensions on at least two occasions. As such your MKI may have a 'later type' spring and be well difficult to cock, however the MKI is recognised as being more difficult to cock due to the link arrangements, this is why the premier was born, to incorporate the easier cocking of a Senior with an adjustable trigger as per the MKI. On a spares sheet for MKI / Senior / Premier dated '69' there is a note saying mainspring now P1032; where as it was listed as 'M7' for MKI & Premier and 'S8' for the Senior. also a note referring to ordering the 'correct parts'. I have two mainsprings one is :- 6 7/8" O/A, 0.575" O/D, 37 coils, wire 0.103" x 0.068"; the other :- 7 1/2" O/A. 0.575" O/D, 37 coils, wire 0.103" x 0.068". Both are genuine Webley made parts circa 60's & 70's, the later one would of course have lots more pre load and probably make a MKI somewhat difficult to cock, the 'smaller' spring is of what appears to be a 'rough' textured carbon type steel, with rounded edges to its profile, whilst the latter one has a bright almost 'stainless steel' appearance and is visibly much sharper on the profile corners.
    Hope this is some help.
    Regards
    abellringer

Thanks very much for this information. Really helpful. Will pull the spring and count coils and get out micrometer.
    Steve