Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Mk III Supertarget : info wanted

Webley Mk III Supertarget : info wanted

As above, but a basic level question : were these made in 0.22 as well as 0.177 cal, and if so, in what sort of ratio vs era of manufacture. My reason in asking is that I'm convinced that my MK III S/N 48170 is a S/T but searches to date haven't been able to confirm that opinion.

All input to my query appreciated.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.
    Last edited by Vic Thompson; 09-10-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Never seen a 'Supertarget' in .22 Vic, but I have seen many .22's fitted with the PH 17 sight. The giveaway clue is the middle sight, if it has one, isn't a proper Supertarget.

That's my take on it

Saying that Ive only ever seen Original Model 50B and 35B, the target rifles, in .22 cal so could it have been made for a foreign market?

I always understood it that if it had a back sight facility it wasn't a Super Target. Same with the Anschutz 335. If its got a back sight facility its not the Target version.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

It's definitely marked up as 0.22 cal and does have a dovetail for the rearsight, but not one for the foresight, this appears to be a PH FS21 soldered or brazed on direct to the barrel. The Trigger Block is drilled for a Peepsight, but IMHO was done subsequent to manufacture. However, this might have been "par for the course" for early production S/Ts when the calibre question wasn't so readily answered. Also, the P/S mod might have been a "Gunsmith Option" offered by Webley ?

Vic Thompson.

Hi Vic,

I do not know of any Supertargets offered in .22 and believe they were a .177 option only. Air rifle Target shooting was and is an exclusively .177 calibre sport, so far as 6 yard and 10 metre competitions are concerned, so there was never any call for a .22 version of the rifle.

However both Webley and Parker Hale offered both the PH16M and PH17/ PH17B aperture sights as optional extras for the standard Mk3. PH could also fit or sell an FS21 or FS22 foresight, so you probably have a Mk3 that has been tricked out.

To be honest, I prefer these upgraded standard models to the Supertarget as they seem to handle better than the Supertargets I have shot in the past. I also prefer the PH16M to the PH17/17B as you can move the former to one side in order to use the rearsight.

Kind regards,

John

I can't really comment on Webley's offerings, but Milbro definitely offered a G46 Target Model with Peep sights in 0.22 cal, and the PH FS21 F/S with interchangable elements on this particular rifle looks original to me.

If someone can host piccies on my behalf I'll shove some across to them, it might help resolve the situ.

Vic Thompson.

Vic, send me the pictures - troubledshooter1@btinternet.com

None of the three Supertarget versions had transverse dovetails for a conventional rear sight, and apart from a few very early examples, all had 'Supertarget; on the cylinder.
    PH16m or PH17b aperture sights could be factory fitted to standard Mk.III's at the customers request, along with the appropriate PH foresight.

Here's a link to the pictures of Vic's Mk.III: http://mynetimages.com/album/Trouble...ompson_Mk_III/

Looking at the way the forward sling eye has been fitted, I'd say this was a modified Mk 3 rather than a Supertarget.

PH or Webley would have fitted the forward swivel eye to the underlever. It's still a nice rifle though - just needs a suitable aperture sight to bring it back to spec.

John

Not an expert by any means on the Supertarget but have always thought that the two main identifiers for a genuine model were that firstly there should be no dovetails for a rearsight and secondly that the Barrel should be parallel up to the level of the underlever release button and slightly tapered from there to the muzzle.

aimless Guest
    ......and I would like to ask:

can the joint/groove between the tap and the .177 marking on the barrel only found at the Supertargets ????

http://sta.sh/08s4btf0u2x
    Last edited by aimless; 10-10-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: picture/link

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I suffer with clouded vision as regards the hope of rarities contained within my meagre collection and so if anyone can answer this question for me I'd be appreciative : did Webley supply the MK III Air Rifle off the production line without the dovetail cut outs at the Muzzle end of the Barrel (for fitting of the standard foresight ?). As far as I can see my item has a brazed or soldered on PH 21 F/S mated directly onto the barrel which has no facility for accommodating the standard foresight.

As regards the other elements of my rifle I'm ok with the rest of it being "Cobbled Together".

Your input is appreciated, even if we end up with a consensus of this being a "Bastardised " item. For me, the rifle is in really good condition and this makes me proud to have owned it and additional "Mystique" only adds to this pleasure.

Vic Thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post
    Thanks for the input so far everyone. I suffer with clouded vision as regards the hope of rarities contained within my meagre collection and so if anyone can answer this question for me I'd be appreciative : did Webley supply the MK III Air Rifle off the production line without the dovetail cut outs at the Muzzle end of the Barrel (for fitting of the standard foresight ?). As far as I can see my item has a brazed or soldered on PH 21 F/S mated directly onto the barrel which has no facility for accommodating the standard foresight.

As regards the other elements of my rifle I'm ok with the rest of it being "Cobbled Together".

Your input is appreciated, even if we end up with a consensus of this being a "Bastardised " item. For me, the rifle is in really good condition and this makes me proud to have owned it and additional "Mystique" only adds to this pleasure.

Vic Thompson.
    I wouldn't call your rifle 'bastardised' Vic - it looks like a good attempt at a 'match' type rifle. Just a shame it is missing the all important peep sight.

John

Can I see just a hint of a riveted scope rail there? If so this would have covered most of the 'SUPERTARGET' lettering.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Thompson View Post

Vic Thompson.
    Vic, that foresight ramp with dovetails looks to be a standard Mk.III fitting, that will accept either a standard or PH 21 foresight, as fitted. Can't see any additional brazing.
    As John mentioned, it's a pity whoever did the modifications didn't get the front sling fitting done properly, and either a PH 16m or PH 17b aperture sight was not still fitted.