Thread: Storage of your treasures?

Storage of your treasures?

Evening all,
    Have got a small collection building quite nicely I normally store them well oiled in gun bags to protect them from dings and such like, but have been looking round at the silicon impregnated gun sock things, haven't got room at the moment to rack out the spare room (still used by the wife and kids for junk and other things like friends staying over!).

So my question is how do you store your collection? Bagged, racked, or other?

I store mine in Bratton gun cabinets covered in a wipe of 3 in 1 oil , barrel down, so as not to cake excess oil into the stock...

Hmm...... All these years of being around guns and never thought of storing them barrel down.... Although only affects your type of collection though!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Two Bratton Gun Cabs.
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I store mine in Bratton gun cabinets covered in a wipe of 3 in 1 oil , barrel down, so as not to cake excess oil into the stock...
    They just don't look good stored upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    Evening all,
    Have got a small collection building quite nicely I normally store them well oiled in gun bags to protect them from dings and such like, but have been looking round at the silicon impregnated gun sock things, haven't got room at the moment to rack out the spare room (still used by the wife and kids for junk and other things like friends staying over!).

So my question is how do you store your collection? Bagged, racked, or other?
    Mine are stored in a rack mainly, regularly wiped over and shot. I'd never store them in anything that can trap moisture. I moved to Africa when I was 16, storing my beloved 35 export in a case at my uncles, came home a year later to a pitted mess, never again. Socks are okish if kept at a constant temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^

2x 8 gun cabinets, and a wall safe for ammo, bolts etc, - each with a VP90 sachet, changed every 6-8 months, as you say, barrel down on an absorbent pad for catching the excess.
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
    N.S.R.A. RCO, Club Instructor, Club Coach.

Mine are in a box room and are polished using spray polish (Pledge or Mr Sheen) as I read on an antique sword forum that the polish leaves a microscopic layer of polymers that act as a barrier against damp and doesn't attract dust like oil does! (It also doesn't get all over the hands and face when the gun is used!)

I've not had one go rusty yet!!

There's about 80 rifles in there, The rest are in our bedroom and behind the telly in the dining room!! (Those are the projects!!) There's also guitars, steam engines and the wifes Teddy bear collection in too!!!

Also have around 37 pistols in the bedroom as well!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Mine are in two gun racks, one is double sided and holds 32 guns the other is a single side and holds 16, as I have limited space in my little attic they are on castors so i can move them round. There is a Sunshine Damp Trap bought from the pound shop in the bottom of both racks which I will change every three months even if there is no sign of water, I have had the traps in the rack since July and there is no sign of any moisture yet. I would load a photo but being a thicky I can't.

Chippendale (with clothes on)

At the moment, mine are just kept in a pile in gunbags. However I have been thinking about a more suitable storage solution. We have a room which is a loft conversion - in the eaves of the room are built in wardrobes. One particular section is built around an old chimney breast - which leaves a strange shaped space to the side of it.
    I reckon that a rotating gun rack running on a lazy susan bearing would fit quite nicely in there - so that will be my next project.
    I think it would be most obvious to make it to take 12 guns - I currently have 10 so that would be an excuse for 2 more

When I make it - there will be videos lol
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles