Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 303 loads to soften recoil

303 loads to soften recoil

My whippet like lad is getting hammered by his No4 although he won't admit it, but after 100 rds, he's got a nice mark on his shoulder and I don't want that to develop into flinching. Club has got competitions from 100 yds up to 500 yds. Can anyone suggest the sort of loads and bullets I could be looking at for this?

I do reload 303 myself but it's soft loads with cast bullets for my Martini Enfield so I've no idea what is appropriate for FMJ bullets. (And I will of course check any suggested load. but it would be great to have a starting point.)

Will appreciate any recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Have you checked the length of the butt?

I have had a .303" No.4 and the recoil was not a problem.I have fired a couple with long butts and they kick like hell, probably because it does not fit well enough.

Just a thought.

Yea, and it seems OK. Thanks.

He shoots a lot of clays so well used to recoil, despite his light 21 yr old frame, but as I want to calibrate the sights for a 'standard' reload, I'd like to settle on something a little softer before I start the 'zero at all ranges and positions' process....

Reduced loads FMJ

My K31 is a bit of a beast with GP11 factory. If I shoot at Bisley, 200 yards I load up 34/36 gns of 3031 over 174 fmj and this produces an accurate but less shoulder jarring load. The lyman reloading book provides these loads with 3031

180gn fmj 35gns 2044fps 39gns 2320fps

amc577

Quote Originally Posted by amc577 View Post
    My K31 is a bit of a beast with GP11 factory. If I shoot at Bisley, 200 yards I load up 34/36 gns of 3031 over 174 fmj and this produces an accurate but less shoulder jarring load. The lyman reloading book provides these loads with 3031

amc577
    Thanks AMC
    PS - been trying to reply to your earlier PM and your inbox is full so message won't send.....

Loading 303

My inbox now cleared.

amc577

My inbox now cleared.

amc577
    Try 200gr cast boolit - use Accurate 5744 (or the Lovex equivalent)
    You have no need to use a full power load at 100 yards/metres

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Try 200gr cast boolit - use Accurate 5744 (or the Lovex equivalent)
    You have no need to use a full power load at 100 yards/metres
    Thanks. That's what I use for my Martini. How far can you realistically shoot that combination? I have only used about 24gn before (of 5744), but as you say, that's just for 100 yds.
    I guess I'm after a load that could stretch to 500 or at least 400ys.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    It can also be down to how the rifle has been held.

Recently I was coaching a mate and was offered (force fed) hot advice by 2 experts who should have been minding it. Had he taken any notice and not shot L1A1s before he may have had a nast bruise.

Sadly, the lee really shoots best off the elbows, so if you rest it and get too low behind it the plate does not nestle into the pocket under the collar bone and belts it instead.

Likewise shooting with a sling will help pull it into the right spot. We had very young cadets who used to shoot without any bruises....nearly 40 years later I get my first bite by being sloppy and not snugging in there.

I am not for one minute saying this is the cause, but it might help.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    It can also be down to how the rifle has been held....

Good advice thanks, appreciated.

Graham2 is offline Slightly camp, makes decent chilli, and has a box of tissues and a can of 3 In 1 in the gun room
    I first shot a No. 4 when I was about 13 or 14 and never had any problems with bruising, even after firing 120 rounds on my first outing!

A mate of mine had to give after about a dozen shots, as he was in agony and later had a massive bruise. We were both about 9 stone wet through, so it must have been down to hold.

I've spent my life shooting; he took up pool!
    Not camp, Gary just wishes I were!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham2 View Post
    I first shot a No. 4 when I was about 13 or 14 and never had any problems with bruising, even after firing 120 rounds on my first outing!

A mate of mine had to give after about a dozen shots, as he was in agony and later had a massive bruise. We were both about 9 stone wet through, so it must have been down to hold.

I've spent my life shooting; he took up pool!
    Thanks Graham, TBH, it's not junior who is complaining but as I'm about to start reloading and we don't need to have full loads for most of the shooting we do, this thread was only an attempt to find a starting load which was easy on everyone, including the old girl herself, while still stretching to 500 on the relatively rare occasions when we need to.

amc577
    I'm very surprised that with a load like that - ie. bullet first, then powder - that the bullet actually leaves the barrel.

Just syain'.

tac

Recoil.......

I have two friends who struggled and to be honest the brass butt plate has bitten me a time or two you only need to be a bit sloppy in the shoulder and you are done for.

One friend changed the butt to have a sporting one on, which he liked as it has a proper recoil pad and got a better position for the use of a scope.

The other had a Pachmayer slip on recoil pad which just slipped over the end of the butt.
    If it has a trigger, I'm gonna enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDuncs View Post
    Thanks. That's what I use for my Martini. How far can you realistically shoot that combination? I have only used about 24gn before (of 5744), but as you say, that's just for 100 yds.
    I guess I'm after a load that could stretch to 500 or at least 400ys.
    I don't see why not - maybe up to 26gr 5744