Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used the new BSA Advanced 1-4x24

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Dunno, but it looks ever so much like the Nikko Diamond 1-4x24, even down to the German #4 ret' (with dot), but for a bit less money...

Both are likely PX corrected at 100 yards, which is too much for airguns, and I dunno (again) if they're easy to alter... while I think the baby Simmons is set at 60 yards, and although that's also too long, mine was easy to re-set.

HTH
    The '1.5-5x/8-points' are PX'd @ 50yds according to the manual, haven't had to reset mine as I've had absolutely no issues where PX is concerned, it's also been sat on several springers (one or two heavy recoillers n'all) via ordinary two piece mounts without so much as a whimper, never strayed off-aim or nowt, once set it just stayed there, t'is right though about the ret t'is a little on the thick side, I'll not be getting rid of mine in any hurry though...

I got mine yesterday and first impressions are it looks good.. I ordered some of the bsa/bsquare mounts from the gaybay but they sent me regular old bsa split rings at twice their normal price, so those will be going back.. I have another set of 30mm mounts which I bought by accident coming tomorrow so I'll try it with them.. it doesn't look like I will be out shooting until next next Tuesday probably.. looking forward to it though!!
    Donald

Anyone used the new BSA Advanced 1-4x24

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I got mine yesterday and first impressions are it looks good.. I ordered some of the bsa/bsquare mounts from the gaybay but they sent me regular old bsa split rings at twice their normal price, so those will be going back.. I have another set of 30mm mounts which I bought by accident coming tomorrow so I'll try it with them.. it doesn't look like I will be out shooting until next next Tuesday probably.. looking forward to it though!!
    The reach back type sportsmatch fit a treat & give you much better eye relief on merc's/airsporters donald.
    Last edited by junglie; 30-03-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    The '1.5-5x/8-points' are PX'd @ 50yds according to the manual, haven't had to reset mine as I've had absolutely no issues where PX is concerned, it's also been sat on several springers (one or two heavy recoillers n'all) via ordinary two piece mounts without so much as a whimper, never strayed off-aim or nowt, once set it just stayed there, t'is right though about the ret t'is a little on the thick side, I'll not be getting rid of mine in any hurry though...
    I've had one of the 8-points for over 10 years & had it on nearly every springer I've owned in that time too & it's still going strong on my challenger merc now. I re-px'd mine to 25 yds though. The lens coatings arn't a patch on the little whitetails though.You can get another 20 minutes shooting at dusk with a whitetail.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    The reach back type sportsmatch fit a treat & give you much better eye releif on merc's/airsporters donald.
    I have a set on order for another project mate but I have a set of guntuff ones to try it with
    Donald

Guntuff reach back mounts

I have two sets combined with 1.5-4 x32 and 1.5-4x26 scopes. They are both 30mm bodies. There are inserts to change between body size, but the two halves of the mount tend to meet as you excerpt clamping force on the scope, not a lot to play with (just check tightness of the screws routinely). Just be aware that the cap head screws on the Guntuff mounts are torq drive, not allen key (with my eyesight that took a bit longer to work out than it should!)
    Last edited by CapitalBee; 30-03-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typos

Simmons

I'm a lucky chap indeed I have four of the Simmons WTC's an amazingly good scope.

A couple of years ago the other half dropped in to conversation that she would like to go to a mid week auction that is held twice monthly down the road from us. So after a fair bit of moaning on my part I bit the bullet book a days holiday loaded the grass viper in the car and arrived at the auction house.

i did a quick walk through but did not notice any thing so popped out for a fag. The wife came legging it out and dragged me back in straight to a huge wooden wardrobe, as you can imagine I was not best happy and told her to bugger off. With a huff she opened the doors to show me what all the fuss was about.

Stacked up neatly on the bottom shelf were boxes of sights a mixed bag to say the least and two rifle slips I it was extreamly hard not to drag the slips out and open the up in front of any one. I managed a sneak peak and found 2 R10s a mk 1 and a 2.

This prompted me to go and buy the sales literature only to find no sights or rifles in it just a job lot of the wardrobe a set of draws and a cheap pine bed.

Any way to cut a long story short I put a bid in which was I'm sure of the reserve there were no other bidders.

Any how for the sake of £250 I had 4 Simmons 3 BSAs and 2 MTC Vipers. Not forgetting two mint riffles the Mk 1 went on gun trader along with the BSAs the rest sit on my riffles.

A long tale but the Simmons are worth it when you can find them.

My lad has the BSA advanced on his Webly a cracking good scope for its price put up against the Simmons I'd say that the BSA is a tad just a tad mind better than the Simmons in low light.

You loaded the "grass viper"? Is that a reference to your Mrs? I just dropped my phone laughing!

The simmons is a cracking little scope, as is the 32mm nikkon. If you can find one Nikko Sterling did a 1-4x24mm Diamond scope. It's a 30mm tube and has an illuminated ret. It's a good choice too.

The BSA is a bit brighter than a 1.25-5 X 20 Nikko Sterling.

I have a set on order for another project mate but I have a set of guntuff ones to try it with
    i had a set of the gun tuff ones on a 30mm scope a few years ago on that very gun, off out sponsor, think i may have had to reverse the moving clamp to fit but they worked fine with no shift with the bsa dovetail.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beard View Post
    Optics warehouse were selling them for 40 pounds.

They have a single red dot inside what is effectively a duplex type reticule instead of the more useful mil dot ladder.

The crosshairs are very fine. The centre dot illuminates in red but not much, which is good as most scopes are too bright. Brightness goes from 1 (can barely see illumination in daylight) to 11 (visible in daylight) which is clearly better than going from 1 to 10. Turrets are finger adjustable and say 1/2 moa per click. On 4X it focuses down to about 14m, on 1X it goes to 2 feet Image quality is okay.

Haven't tried it on a gun yet.

As scopes go, it looks like a good buy for 40 pounds. Mil dot would be better for targets but it should be good for hunting with a flat shooting gun.

BB
    Evening Mr Beard,
    Seems like a good buy, I notice they're back up to £69.99 now.
    I wouldn't worry too much about dots - At a maximum of 4X, whole MDs are not a lot of use to you... except maybe with .25 cal @ sub 12 FPE...

Are you going North this weekend?

P.

Here's a couple pics of the bsa out the box.. I haven't altered the px but I checked and it would be easy to do, both the locking ring and the carrier moving freely.
    I don't think I'll bother.. you can see on 1x it is focusing on my foot and I'm holding the scope at about 3' away. At 4x it is focusing at about 18'... I'll check it out properly on Monday or Tuesday
    Donald

Well, I tried out the scope today and its cracking - very bright & clear, right to the edges, easily zeroed, no problems - except.... on 4x the picture looks as is if you are looking through a fishbowl! your eye has to be exactly centred and exactly the right eye relief if you want t a clear picture... I dont think its meant to do this..
    Donald

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Think I glimsped a look through one of these at last weekends Spring Do and I was impressed, the German A4 Ret was very nice !

As Donald says, a nice clean and bright disc !
    “An airgun or two”………

Well, I tried out the scope today and its cracking - very bright & clear, right to the edges, easily zeroed, no problems - except.... on 4x the picture looks as is if you are looking through a fishbowl! your eye has to be exactly centred and exactly the right eye relief if you want t a clear picture... I dont think its meant to do this..
    Mine is the same. Good if the eye is in the right place. Needs the right stock.