Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone used the new BSA Advanced 1-4x24

Anyone used the new BSA Advanced 1-4x24

Has anyone had any experience with the above scope? Given the scarcity of the Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 I am looking for viable ultra compact scope alternatives in a similar price range. I understand the Simmons 8 Point is a decent scope but is a little larger than I would like and has too thick a reticle.

Dunno, but it looks ever so much like the Nikko Diamond 1-4x24, even down to the German #4 ret' (with dot), but for a bit less money...

Both are likely PX corrected at 100 yards, which is too much for airguns, and I dunno (again) if they're easy to alter... while I think the baby Simmons is set at 60 yards, and although that's also too long, mine was easy to re-set.

HTH

Ive just ordered one of these, ill report back when it comes - hopefully its easy to alter, because I ordered it during a massive hangover and it never once occured to me I might have to change the parallex!!
    Donald

No need to worry so long as you look down the middle of it Donald.

what you mean my friend ?
    you said you altered yours from 60.. Im assuming its standard - adjust out the objective until focused at 25y on 4 power?
    Donald

Yes, sure mate.

With a low mag scope you can sometimes have a nice clear image over the range of distances to want to shoot, even if the PX corrected distance is set too far out.

But what you will find (say, shooting at 25 yards if PX is set to say, 50 yards), is that by looking through the eyebox from high, low, left, or right - the crosshairs appear to move (shift) around the target.

Set the PX to the same distance your target distance, and the crosshair doesn't move - even when you move your eye to the edge of the view when it starts to black out - the cross will still be on target. That's PX corrected distance.

Setting a fixed PX scope at a good point within the range is distances you shoot at is optimum. If you shoot from 10 to 40 yards, a setting of 30 yards will likely serve you well. No shift at 30, and only a little shift at your longer & shorter distances.

As I said, if you always look down the dead center of the scope, you won't experience PX error anyway.

So to sum up - Adjusting the objective does two jobs at once - focuses the image, and eliminates PX shift/error.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 27-03-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Gotcha mate... of course I knew all that already... I was just testing you
    I'll post a wee review when I get it
    Donald

I'm probably a bit late with this post as you have already bought the BSA but here we go anyway.
    If you want a decent small scope and can't find a Simmons 1.5-5x20 I found the only slightly larger Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 absolutely fantastic. Better than the Simmons if I'm honest. Mine has the really helpful BDC reticule which gives aiming points in a very useful fashion-all below the crosshair which is where you need them most.
    I used to regard the tiny Simmons as the absolute best value for money in ultra compact scopes but now it is the Nikon. Times move on after all.
    I'm sure the BSA will be OK but I doubt very much whether you will like it as much as the Simmons and certainly not as much as the Nikon. I'm afraid it is the old story of 'buy once cry once' which seems to apply pretty much to all sports optics. The price of mint used Simmons tends to be around £80 and I paid £85 for my Nikon so pretty comparable in price terms.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Gotcha mate... of course I knew all that already... I was just testing you
    I knew you knew that, Donald. I was just practicing my typing.

I'll post a wee review when I get it
    I won't read it.

Ha ha...

Yep nick.. I looked for a simmons but none going just now.. I can always send the bsa back if I don't like it.. no hassle there.. there was a simmons on free ads but the lad never responded.
    I'll keep an eye out for a nikon..the bdc reticle sounds ideal as it's going on a 635 Magnum..
    Donald

Ive just ordered one of these, ill report back when it comes - hopefully its easy to alter, because I ordered it during a massive hangover and it never once occured to me I might have to change the parallex!!
    I look forward to this - thanks for the thread resurrection

I was actually planning on doing a review comparison with images of a variety of low mag scopes: the Simmons WTC, Nikko Stirling Diamond 1-4x24 and Simmons 8 point but found I couldn't upload any images onto the site for the review (other than the sales page of course)!

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The "wee Simmo" tends to crop up frequently on here, other Forums or "that Site" but Nick has a good point in raising the Nikon Pro Staff !
    Uttings have them at £132 ish new !
    “An airgun or two”………

Simmons 8 Point is a decent scope but is a little larger than I would like and has too thick a reticle.
    I have two of these little scopes and really rate them, but the reticle is notably thicker on the one scope than the other.

The thicker one is a little off putting but for some reason I do seem to shoot better with it - probably stops me fussily overcorrecting the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by capt hindsight View Post
    I have two of these little scopes and really rate them, but the reticle is notably thicker on the one scope than the other.

The thicker one is a little off putting but for some reason I do seem to shoot better with it - probably stops me fussily overcorrecting the shot.
    I agree, I've had the same experience. Perhaps the thicker ret' promotes concentration on killing the target (good) rather than looking at the reticle (not so good)...?

Not wanting to sound like the parallax police, but I notice the Nikon 2-7x32 is available in a rifle version (PX@75 yards) and a shotgun version (PX@60 yards). Anybody know if the rets are the same? And are the Nikons simple to re-PX?

Optics warehouse were selling them for 40 pounds.

They have a single red dot inside what is effectively a duplex type reticule instead of the more useful mil dot ladder.

The crosshairs are very fine. The centre dot illuminates in red but not much, which is good as most scopes are too bright. Brightness goes from 1 (can barely see illumination in daylight) to 11 (visible in daylight) which is clearly better than going from 1 to 10. Turrets are finger adjustable and say 1/2 moa per click. On 4X it focuses down to about 14m, on 1X it goes to 2 feet Image quality is okay.

Haven't tried it on a gun yet.

As scopes go, it looks like a good buy for 40 pounds. Mil dot would be better for targets but it should be good for hunting with a flat shooting gun.

BB
    Last edited by Black Beard; 29-03-2017 at 06:00 PM.