Thread: Anyone used the new BSA Advanced 1-4x24

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Anyone used the new BSA Advanced 1-4x24

Has anyone had any experience with the above scope? Given the scarcity of the Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 I am looking for viable ultra compact scope alternatives in a similar price range. I understand the Simmons 8 Point is a decent scope but is a little larger than I would like and has too thick a reticle.

Dunno, but it looks ever so much like the Nikko Diamond 1-4x24, even down to the German #4 ret' (with dot), but for a bit less money...

Both are likely PX corrected at 100 yards, which is too much for airguns, and I dunno (again) if they're easy to alter... while I think the baby Simmons is set at 60 yards, and although that's also too long, mine was easy to re-set.

HTH

Ive just ordered one of these, ill report back when it comes - hopefully its easy to alter, because I ordered it during a massive hangover and it never once occured to me I might have to change the parallex!!
    Donald

No need to worry so long as you look down the middle of it Donald.

what you mean my friend ?
    you said you altered yours from 60.. Im assuming its standard - adjust out the objective until focused at 25y on 4 power?
    Donald

Yes, sure mate.

With a low mag scope you can sometimes have a nice clear image over the range of distances to want to shoot, even if the PX corrected distance is set too far out.

But what you will find (say, shooting at 25 yards if PX is set to say, 50 yards), is that by looking through the eyebox from high, low, left, or right - the crosshairs appear to move (shift) around the target.

Set the PX to the same distance your target distance, and the crosshair doesn't move - even when you move your eye to the edge of the view when it starts to black out - the cross will still be on target. That's PX corrected distance.

Setting a fixed PX scope at a good point within the range is distances you shoot at is optimum. If you shoot from 10 to 40 yards, a setting of 30 yards will likely serve you well. No shift at 30, and only a little shift at your longer & shorter distances.

As I said, if you always look down the dead center of the scope, you won't experience PX error anyway.

So to sum up - Adjusting the objective does two jobs at once - focuses the image, and eliminates PX shift/error.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 27-03-2017 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    Ive just ordered one of these, ill report back when it comes - hopefully its easy to alter, because I ordered it during a massive hangover and it never once occured to me I might have to change the parallex!!
    I look forward to this - thanks for the thread resurrection

I was actually planning on doing a review comparison with images of a variety of low mag scopes: the Simmons WTC, Nikko Stirling Diamond 1-4x24 and Simmons 8 point but found I couldn't upload any images onto the site for the review (other than the sales page of course)!

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Dunno, but it looks ever so much like the Nikko Diamond 1-4x24, even down to the German #4 ret' (with dot), but for a bit less money...

Both are likely PX corrected at 100 yards, which is too much for airguns, and I dunno (again) if they're easy to alter... while I think the baby Simmons is set at 60 yards, and although that's also too long, mine was easy to re-set.

HTH
    The '1.5-5x/8-points' are PX'd @ 50yds according to the manual, haven't had to reset mine as I've had absolutely no issues where PX is concerned, it's also been sat on several springers (one or two heavy recoillers n'all) via ordinary two piece mounts without so much as a whimper, never strayed off-aim or nowt, once set it just stayed there, t'is right though about the ret t'is a little on the thick side, I'll not be getting rid of mine in any hurry though...

I got mine yesterday and first impressions are it looks good.. I ordered some of the bsa/bsquare mounts from the gaybay but they sent me regular old bsa split rings at twice their normal price, so those will be going back.. I have another set of 30mm mounts which I bought by accident coming tomorrow so I'll try it with them.. it doesn't look like I will be out shooting until next next Tuesday probably.. looking forward to it though!!
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I got mine yesterday and first impressions are it looks good.. I ordered some of the bsa/bsquare mounts from the gaybay but they sent me regular old bsa split rings at twice their normal price, so those will be going back.. I have another set of 30mm mounts which I bought by accident coming tomorrow so I'll try it with them.. it doesn't look like I will be out shooting until next next Tuesday probably.. looking forward to it though!!
    The reach back type sportsmatch fit a treat & give you much better eye relief on merc's/airsporters donald.
    Last edited by junglie; 30-03-2017 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by junglie View Post
    The reach back type sportsmatch fit a treat & give you much better eye releif on merc's/airsporters donald.
    I have a set on order for another project mate but I have a set of guntuff ones to try it with
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    The '1.5-5x/8-points' are PX'd @ 50yds according to the manual, haven't had to reset mine as I've had absolutely no issues where PX is concerned, it's also been sat on several springers (one or two heavy recoillers n'all) via ordinary two piece mounts without so much as a whimper, never strayed off-aim or nowt, once set it just stayed there, t'is right though about the ret t'is a little on the thick side, I'll not be getting rid of mine in any hurry though...
    I've had one of the 8-points for over 10 years & had it on nearly every springer I've owned in that time too & it's still going strong on my challenger merc now. I re-px'd mine to 25 yds though. The lens coatings arn't a patch on the little whitetails though.You can get another 20 minutes shooting at dusk with a whitetail.