Thread: 1862 Police Nipple Wrench

1862 Police Nipple Wrench

Wonder if anyone can help. I bought an Uberti 1862 Pocket Police from a mate. He bought it second hand and only shot it a couple of times. It's a nice little revolver more for the joy of ownership than target grade accuracy beyond 7 yards....

Problem I have is a nipple wrench. I don't have one. Kranks advertised a nipple wrench and nipple set for the 1849/Baby Dragoon/Pocket models, but when it arrived, it didn't fit. It was actually the same size as my 1851 wrench!

So, the question is, does anyone have a wrench for the Colt patterned pocket models they no longer want, or can say with certainty, "There's one here....."

I got mine from kranks so they exist. Unfortunately I use mine.
    Lee Loo Dallas multipass, MUL-TI-PASS!

I had the exact problem. The wrench was way too big to fit.

Got tools? Heat it with blowtorch enough to tap out the pin on the top to remove the 'handle/screwdriver' (it's just a friction-fit), then chuck the remaining tube in a drill, then as it spins, grind, file, taper the nipple-area down smoothly, stopping every now and again to get the tapering profile a perfect fit on the cylinder nipples.

Once done, smooth off with fine sandpaper, heat cherry red and quench in old oil, then tap the handle and pin back in.

Here's mine, can you see the new profile?

http://i57.tinypic.com/smpp5i.jpg
    The Black-Powder Revival gathers steam..