Thread: .25 calibre Kynoch Swift air rifle.

.25 calibre Kynoch Swift air rifle.

For Sale. A Kynoch Swift air rifle in .25 calibre. These were patented in 1906 and sold either by or for the famous ammunition makers Kynoch. Break barrel action with strong patented locking jaws. Not many more than 1,000 rifles were believed to have been made, so a rare British rifle. Even Dennis Hiller did not have one to include in his groundbreaking Air Rifles books!

This one has a .25 rifled barrel with original adjustable open sights, which work and do not move once set. Clear stampings and nice walnut stock. Original Swift and Kynoch roundels imprinted on either side of stock. Trigger was adjustable via a frontal screw like contemporary BSA air rifles but this is missing on this example.
    The action cocks and fires consistently at 7.7 ft lbs and the trigger sear has a heavy but safe pull. I.e. no wear present, which could result in a premature discharge. £575 F2F or can post at cost and buyer’s risk

Photos available to interested parties upon request.

John

.25 calibre Kynoch Swift air rifle.

Could you send pictures please.

Quote Originally Posted by ferretus View Post
    Could you send pictures please.
    Me too, even if I may not be able to raise this very reasonable sum just yet, I would still like em, just in case... Very rare rifle this

I'll take this please John, PM to follow.

Sold to Epicyclic - many thanks.

Pics sent to all who have expressed an interest. Binners, we've since spoken.

Kind regards,

John

So, a few months ago, one of my bike customers, a really nice old boy, told me had an air rifle. Not sure what it was, but he'd bring it down.

Well, he called in with it today. I couldn't have a long look at it (as the boss wouldn't be happy), but it's a Kynoch Swift. Think it's in .177 flavour.

Condition? Quite nice. One or two marks and showing that nice, genuine patina. Breech lock-up seemed solid. One or two of the screws marked, but not badly. Now, looking into the breech, there is a groove where, I guess, there should be a breech seal. And when you moved the barrel, you can detect a little play at the breech end. I think these screw in?

I've asked the chap to join here and start a thread and try and get some pictures up, with a view to a pre-sale valuation, so hoping that he'd do that.

In the meantime, and taking into account the above, what do you chaps think would be a fair valuation?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I would think forty quid if he has the original box, with the shop receipt. Looking at increasing value and the rarity this is a top end cost, tell him I'll make him and offer he can't refuse, and pay him £25 posted signed for, can't say fairer that that.

Nice things happen to nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanchief View Post
    I would think forty quid if he has the original box, with the shop receipt. Looking at increasing value and the rarity this is a top end cost, tell him I'll make him and offer he can't refuse, and pay him £25 posted signed for, can't say fairer that that.

As much as that, Chiefy?

Are you sure?

Your generosity has no bounds!!

Do we think it might be worth circa £350-£400, folks?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Do we think it might be worth circa £350-£400, folks?
    And the rest, Tony... I wouldn't advertise it for under £600 if it's complete and in reasonable nick.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    And the rest, Tony... I wouldn't advertise it for under £600 if it's complete and in reasonable nick.
    Blimey, he'll be over the moon with that, thank you, Garvin.

Apart from one thing which I forgot to mention in my haste to post earlier, as tea time was looming, and it's a fairly big thing!....

At some point in its life the cocking shoe/horn must have broken off and it's been brazed. Still cocks fine. I didn't fire it, but cocked and de-cocked it a few times. Fore and rear sights present. Overall, it's quite tidy, I'd say "very good" for its age.

When I'd seen the figure that John realised for his, I sort of deducted what I thought would be a realistic amount for the cocking shoe issue, but failed to mention it. Plonker!

The chap is going to let me know the serial number and, hopefully, get some pictures sorted.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Any idea on a revised valuation taking into account the above post, Garvin?

Sorry I'm a bit late with joining in Tony - only just noticed this thread's resurrection. The brazed part is essential to function, so I'd probably pass if I were looking for another one of these classics. As an example for someone who does not shoot? Hard to say without pics.

I'm probably of no help at all am I?

Kind regards,

John

I'd need to see detailed pics of the damage and even then it would only be a guess. The best test of value is probably an auction, of course.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thank you, chaps.

I'll get young Ken to get those photos taken.