Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Airsporter?

BSA Airsporter?

I know these guns have legendary status.

Never having owned or shot one, I would just like to ask if the legend is deserved.

I've recently seen a Feinwerkbau Sport and an Airsporter, both in superb condition, and both for sale at about the same price.

Were they that good?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Never having owned or shot one, I would just like to ask if the legend is deserved.

I've recently seen a Feinwerkbau Sport and an Airsporter, both in superb condition, and both for sale at about the same price.

Were they that good?
    Depends on what Mk Airsporter it is, Mk1 & 2 are the best,

I have had many airsporters as a kid and still do have many and have hunted successfully with them. On a personal basis unless it is an 'S' model then i wouldn't bother.
    Now, if its a toss up between a FWB and airsporter then i am affraid the FWB will win everytime as they can be tuned up easier than an airsporter, and having got two 127 sports in MK1 and 2 so can vouch for both.
    cheers.
    Fozzy

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Were they that good?
    I have an Airsporter S in .177. It is Utter shyte. Only gun I regret buying.

Airsporter Mk 1 and 2 are classics with a well deserved reputation for reliability. The one thing to watch is the piston washer, as if it has broken up, the rifle will recoil badly and fail to hit anything you aim at. The Airsporter S is a lovely rifle - I managed a 5 shot group with mine at 6 yards that is little bigger than a single pellet. I'd choose the Airsporter - it has style over most other designs (unless it is a Mark 3 to 6!).

John

It depends what you want them for, Arthur, and for this reason you're not really comparing like with like. As John suggests, for collecting, the Mk1 & 2 Airsporters were classics of design, revolutionary in many ways, and probably every collection should have at least one of either, or both. But the last Mk2 was made in the '60s (IIRC) the first FWB Sports made their names in the UK a decade or so later.

The break barrel Sport was also a classic, but mainly as a shooter of distinction. It has its flaws, but was made by a company that otherwise made only high quality and high cost match guns, at a time of growing competition between makers of quality air rifles accurate at decent ranges.

The Airporters that were contemporaries of the beech-stocked Sport were pretty awful by comparison on every level, apart from the walnut-stocked 'S', which I haven't owned so can't speak about. Even the Sport's trigger, which is generally considered to be much inferior to the Rekord, was far better than the BSAs at the time, in my experience.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

What a question !!!

And here is my HO to the aforesaid. The BSA Airsporter had a long production run and for any of the series that they made, I've seen both good and bad. I've seen them fresh from a "Barn Find", rusty as hell, but shooting consistentlty at full power, and alternatively "Sleek and Smooth, looking like new" but a rough experience to cock and shoot (with little power and consistancy to provide appreciation for user input).

If you want something that you can be proud of for time to come, establish your purchasing limits and your appearance criteria, and be prepared to travel around and try those on offer in your locality (and further).

They are out there, put time and effort into your search and you'll really appreciate the benefits.

HTH, Vic Thompson.

Never owned a FWB but did own an Airsporter (0.22) for 10+ years in the 70's/80's. Many of us like to buy guns we owned when we were younger: even if it's only for the sake of nostalgia. Unfortunately (no matter how hard I try) I can't muster enough enthusiasm to re-purchase an airsporter.
    The 0.22 Treefeller X X2R HW77k
    Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.

Having owned both FWB sport's and BSA Airsporter S's each in both popular calibres - the mk1 Airsporter'S' is my personal favourite.. Pity the scope rails are so shallow. I prefer the BSA trigger too...

I have an Airsporter mk1 and a mk2 - unfortunately both in .22 so I don't get to shoot them anymore.

The mk2 is in very nice original condition and is complete with the fold down rear sight

The mk 1 has been profesionally re-blued, rebuilt with a new spring ( a previous owner had over-powered it with a square shaped spring) nicely lubricated and has been given a lovely oil finished stock so although it looks magnificent it may not appeal to the collector that dislikes anything that has been tampered with - fair enough I guess.

To make it worse it has scope rails machined into it (many year before I bought it) and is currently wearing a nice new 4 x 32 APO scope but I do have a period BSA scope that would please the purist a little better !

These two rifles display the best of the classic Airsporter lines IMHO and both shoot very well - but both have the heavy trigger that is so typical of the type.

I have never owned an FWB 124 so I cannot compare them but having enjoyed the company of these two Beezers for several years I think I would prefer to have a .177 German rifle - firstly so I could shoot it at our local club (.177 only) and secondly because I know I would prefer a softer trigger action !

The FWB would appeal to me more but a nice Original Model 35 would be even better !
    Last edited by zooma; 10-10-2015 at 09:20 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Personally, as been stated, IMO the Mk 1 and 2 Airsporter with the rounded stocks and auto tap plus maybe the 'S' versions are the ones to go for IF you cant find a decent FWB Sport.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Never had an FWB sport, but the Airsporter .22s were pony, compaired to the earlier BSA L/J underlevers Only my opinion but that's all you need

From memory I have four or five MK1 Airsporters and about seven Mk2 Airsporters they are all .22.

I love the MK1 and 2 Airsporters!

I also have two FWB Sport's.

Get the FWB and forget about the Airsporters!

Thanks for all the replies
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Thumbs up

Hi Arthur

I've a few Airsporters, Most have had so much use (Or abuse!) that they are rubbish!! That said, If you get hold of a well looked after example, They can be a joy!!

Personally I think the hidden cocking lever and graceful curved trigger block make for a beautiful rifle, From the mk3, The stocks became ugly and slab sided though

In this pic, I have an 'S' at the top and and RB2 at the bottom, I no longer have the RB2 as I traded it for a match pistol, The 'S' was serviced and new parts fitted just before I bought it, It's a delight to shoot!!

Pic 1

These are mk1's, I was offered a swap for the bottom one for the very first Airsporter ever made but I couldn't bear to part with it as it has the nicest stock i've ever seen in an Airsporter!

One of the other two came with a home made scope rail and a nice scope fitted! I think the actual scope was worth what I paid for the whole lot!!!

Pic 2

These are mk2 Airsporters, The bottom one was shoehorned in to a mk5 staock and the forend shape that it became is reminscent of a Falke mod90 to me!! (It doesn't show well in this pic though )

This is a mk6 that I swapped a customised Ratcatcher for, They're generally looked on as being much lower quality than the mk2, All the previous ones I've had were rough but this shoots like a new gun!!

Pic 3

You could do worse than getting an Airsporter but if it's had a hard life, then you can't do much worse!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/