Thread: Walther Terrus

Walther Terrus

Yesterday I picked up a 2nd hand Walther Terrus for £170 .
    It came complete with a backdraught silencer that frankly is of no use whatsoever , and a compact Hawke
    4x32 scope which is crystal clear.
    The rifle is in .22 calibre and has the black synthetic stock.
    The forend of the stock bulges out to form a grip which I found useful and the rest of the stock is generally quite pleasing.
    I zeroed the rifle using JSB pellets weighing 15.89 gr according to the tin .
    I asked the RFD to chrono the rifle when I bought it and was told it was doing 11.6 ft lbs.
    I started at 15meters and then wound the target out to 25
    At both distances. despite my usual inability to perform well on paper, it produced groups that could be covered by a 5p piece.
    The action is very smooth, the two stage trigger crisp , and the cocking is not overly hard.
    Even out at 30 meters where I could barely see, the groups were quite impressive.
    So what would I change ;
    Well the silencer had to go . It wasn't bad cosmetically , making the rifle look like a rimfire, but it served no purpose whatsoever . The rifle is just as quiet without it , although I admit to swopping it for a small unknown one , just for looks.
    The scope too is being replaced with a Hawke 3x9x50 , not just because I got it at the right price, but to improve the magnification and aid my 50 year old eyes.
    I have previously owned a HW99 , and still own a Vmached HW77 and have to say that the Walther is as pleasant to shoot as both of these:
    So would I choose the Terrus over a HW99 ?
    Personally, yes I would , but you need to make your own minds up.
    I like the weight of the 99 better, but the feel and smoothness of the Terrus just suits me better.
    This is just my opinion , but if it helps anyone out , then I'm happy.
    Try both , then make your own mind up !
    Last edited by Alakar; 21-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Totally agree, had my terrus for almost a year now and can't fault it. Superb lightweight hunter, smooth,accurate and totally reliable. Fitted a sako silencer to mine ( as on my lgu). Jsb rs in. 22 with nikko Stirling 4x16x50. Perfect!!!

Took mine to the range today.
    Couldn't put it down , didn't want to go home !
    Really pleased with it.
    I accept it may not suit everyone , but I think it's a great contender against the HW99s.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    An interesting review.
    As I get older (63 yo) I am not phased at lugging heavy spring driven air rifles about my (largish) permissions. I've done all that with 80's, 77's, 97's and the like.
    My Rapids were lighter.
    Nowadays, a lighter rifle with scope has more appeal and something like the Terrus with a synthetic stock sounds pretty good !
    I'll delve further but the Hawke scope will have to go.
    “An airgun or two”………

I fitted a Shauny moderator to my LGV Comp Ultra and it is absolutely awesome!

My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Picked up my beech stocked terrus yesterday for my son to use. I chose it over the 99 as it has a slimmer fore end and shorter length of pull. Stripped down last night to find a badly chopped spring that's already gouged the metal piston weight. The piston is very poorly finished as well. Cheap spring guide that you can't swop. Sharp edges everywhere in the cylinder. After several hours I'm sure it will be ok, which is what I expect from cheaper guns.The rfd gave me a cracking deal as he said he struggled to sell it as it looks Chinese with a high price tag
    Come on walther book up and improve your QC. No better than my smk's

Sorry to hear that you got a bad one .
    I suppose it's bound to happen with cheaper rifles.
    As you say , probably down to poor QC.
    I hope that you enjoy it when you've fettled it .
    Which RFD do you use ?

Have a look at this review.

https://youtu.be/ZGvOyeUMPXA

Quote Originally Posted by Alakar View Post
    Sorry to hear that you got a bad one .
    I suppose it's bound to happen with cheaper rifles.
    As you say , probably down to poor QC.
    I hope that you enjoy it when you've fettled it .
    Which RFD do you use ?

Have a look at this review.

https://youtu.be/ZGvOyeUMPXA
    Yes and it's the third walther I've had to sort bodged up springs on and the damage they cause. Though once they are they are cracking guns/value. The terrus is the worst internally compared to a LGU and century, very Chinese looking. The only rfd I use now is Carl at Boyces Nelson.

Walther

Just got mine in.177 early days but got a groups ( repeatable ) at twenty meters which you could cover with a ten pence piece isnt too shabby for a springer , as for bad finish as mentioned above my HW99 i bought new came far too hot power wise , galled the cylinder and dieseled badly . Id say the walther nice gun as nice as the HW99

Quote Originally Posted by peddy View Post
    Picked up my beech stocked terrus yesterday for my son to use. I chose it over the 99 as it has a slimmer fore end and shorter length of pull. Stripped down last night to find a badly chopped spring that's already gouged the metal piston weight. The piston is very poorly finished as well. Cheap spring guide that you can't swop. Sharp edges everywhere in the cylinder. After several hours I'm sure it will be ok, which is what I expect from cheaper guns.The rfd gave me a cracking deal as he said he struggled to sell it as it looks Chinese with a high price tag
    Come on walther book up and improve your QC. No better than my smk's
    Spent last night filing and polishing internals. There was some strange manufacturing ridges on the piston. Fitted a ptfe piston liner, but only 3/4 length of piston so not to interfere with sear engagement. Extra polished washer in between piston and TH/weight. Only 3/4 inch of preload. Had a few shots in the garden and I'm very impressed. Very smooth twang less cycle, easy to cock, virtually no recoil. Trigger very crisp. So it looks like a happy ending. The external finish is excellent and wish it matched the internals. My son won't give a monkeys he will just shoot it!

Glad that you are happy with it.
    Mine is currently back with the RFD as the power crept up far too much.
    I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and think about tackling a bit of home fettling myself in future.