Thread: Smk xs78

Smk xs78

Hi could anyone tell me if the SMK XS78(I saw one in my local shop and it seemed a nice gun) would be a gun that could be used for hunting,I understand if I am correct that the gun puts out around 10ft lbs,I have been told that the power can be adjusted some how bringing it closer to 12ft lbs,does anyone know if this is true/possible as the gun does seem a good cheap way to get a gun without recoil and as an alternative to a PCP which I understand would be the best option all round(I used to own a BSA Spitfire HF,a great gun way way back) but out of my price range and I am most likely to only shoot rats at the most.

Also I have heard that there is some kind of issue with seals blowing,anyone know anything of this ??.

Thanks very much.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    A CO2 rifle will never get to full 12 ftlbs, due to the speed at which it turns from liquid to gas. The QB78 usually spits out a standard .22 with about enough power for short range use.
    It would be more than a match for any rat that got in the way of it.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by fertcat View Post
    Hi could anyone tell me if the SMK XS78(I saw one in my local shop and it seemed a nice gun) would be a gun that could be used for hunting,I understand if I am correct that the gun puts out around 10ft lbs,I have been told that the power can be adjusted some how bringing it closer to 12ft lbs,does anyone know if this is true/possible as the gun does seem a good cheap way to get a gun without recoil and as an alternative to a PCP which I understand would be the best option all round(I used to own a BSA Spitfire HF,a great gun way way back) but out of my price range and I am most likely to only shoot rats at the most.

Also I have heard that there is some kind of issue with seals blowing,anyone know anything of this ??.

Thanks very much.
    Hi mate, I have the QB78d the pish XS78 lol.
    out of the box, if it's 177 no its not good enough for hunting it will be putting out only around 6ft lbs, but they can be up rated to get to get close to full power but it's a lot of work and tinkering.. The 22 version out of the box will give you a slightly higher ft lbs about 8 I think it is if I remember correctly, once again that can be up rated but careful not to go over the power limit if you do, but if you up the power your get less shots per CO2, if you want a rifle for hunting I recommend going for a pop or a stringer.
    But if your set on getting one join this forum and speak to porkyyorky he builds the rifles and makes parts for them, he knows everything about those rifles, a lot more then most shops do..
    http://ukchineseairgunforum.myfreeforum.org
    ATB Marc
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..