Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW77 Tuning

I’m going to try losing a couple of coils but can the seal be taken down or is it just a waiting game to let it bed naturally?

Thanks,

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by dtdukok View Post
    I’m going to try losing a couple of coils but can the seal be taken down or is it just a waiting game to let it bed naturally?

Thanks,

Darren
    It can be carefully resized until the piston will drop under its own weight until the TP is blocked. However, I always let mine wear in without interference. It may take a couple of tons of pellets to do so though.

STOP

Don't start lopping off coils.

It's most likely a tight piston seal.

Take the rifle apart. Take out the comp tube and the piston. Degrease. Hold the rear end of the piston rod in your thumb and finger and see if you can slide it easily in and out. If it takes some pushing in or pulling out then it's too tight. It should slide in and out easily with just the tips of your thumb and finger. If you stand it up with the comp tube down and the piston rod at the top I wouldn't want it easily falling under it's own weight. I would want to be able to gently push the piston rod down with the tip of a finger and it falls easily.

Put a Marigold rubber glove on. Pull the piston back so that it draws air in through the transfer port. squeeze a finger or thumb over the TP hole and try and push the piston forwards. It should go a short distance and then you should hit resistance from the compressed air. When you let go of rod it should bounce back slightly.

If the seal is obviously too tight then I wouldn't waste time and pellets trying to shoot it to size. I chuck them up in a normal hand drill via the end of the piston rod. Then place some very fine Wet n Dry around the piston seal. Wrap it around so you are contacting all the circumference of the seal as best you can. Start the drill spinning ( maybe hold it flat on a table with the trigger locked on ). Use a curled finger and thumb to gently apply pressure around the seal with the Wet n Dry. Just a couple of seconds and retry in the comp tube ( let it cool for several seconds before trying ). Keep doing this until you achieve what I described above ( easy slide fit ).

When you are happy then re-lube and refit to rifle and retest power.

Also check the spring guides. Are they a tight fit inside the spring. Different opinions here ... some like them quite a firm fit so they will be a slide fit when the spring is compressed ( gun cocked ). I have them so they slide in and out quite easily. Certainly not a gravity fit but no real friction. If you have to push and pull hard to get them in and out then they are too tight in my opinion. This will also steal power.

Do these things first before you start chopping coils off.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I can't seem to edit the above post.

I re read through your posts and saw that you fitted a Tin Bum kit. So the spring and guides will be fine. So concentrate on sizing the piston seal.

There was a post on here where someone resized them a different way. They degreased, then fitted new seal. Then put piston ( with new seal ) inside comp tube. They then dropped the comp tube and piston inside a pot of boiling water and boiled the lot for about 10 mins. Then remove from water and allow to cool. Dry completely with paper and hair dryer. Apparently the seal is sized. I've not done this myself.

Other advice is available.

I’ll try this before going for the chop - thanks Bozzer 👍

Don't know if it's already been suggested (haven't read the thread properly ), but 2.5" preload? Tight?

Have you checked that it's not something daft like a 26mm piston seal shoehorned into a 25mm comp' tube?

It was bought as a 25mm seal but mistakes do happen so I’ll measure it when it is stripped in the morning just to be sure.

Thanks,

Darren

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    It was bought as a 25mm seal but mistakes do happen so I’ll measure it when it is stripped in the morning just to be sure.

Thanks,

Darren
    Ooooh! I'm pretty sure its a 25mm seal, but a pic from the top would lay that one at rest.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

I’ll check in the morning Nick. To be honest I’ve had that much fun stripping and reassembling this 77 for my friend I’m dreading it being finished so it would be no bother.

I’ve even posted a wtb for a 97k now. I can have my own to play with then 😎

Thanks,

Darren

Ps, what’s the difference to look at between 25mm and 26mm seals?

Thanks,

Darren

1mm

As my cohort from sunny Saltburn might say - Thanks folks, I'm here all week.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 19-01-2018 at 10:00 PM.

tinbum is online now Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Thanks,

Darren
    If you know, you know. I can tell from 100 feet, but thats why I'm a demi-god in these matters.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

seal sizing

I never use abrasive paper ,I use a drill to spin them in the comp tube to "wear" them in .

I’m going to try the ‘boil it like a bunny’ method just out of absolute curiosity 😆

Thanks,

Darren
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    1mm
    You just couldn't make it up.

I'll bet my house you have a 25mm. It's quite common to fit new piston seals and the power be as low as 9fp due to a tight seal. It won't take much to tweak it down and get the power up.

It'll be interesting to see if the boiling works. I've never done one that way. Always done mine with some very fine wet n dry spinning in the drill. Works and is really quick. Well ... do it a bit at a time.

Good luck
    Last edited by bozzer; 20-01-2018 at 09:13 AM.