Thread: Which Viht powder for .284/.284 Shehane?

Which Viht powder for .284/.284 Shehane?

Any recommendations for a Viht powder to use in a 32" barrel .284 Shehane using 180gr Berger Hybrids?

I've been using Elcho 17 which appeared to start well, but the more I use it the more I'm noticing inconsistent speeds and accuracy.

Any thoughts please??
    Last edited by tesco.com; 23-10-2015 at 04:38 AM.

Vhit powders

Hi, I'm using Vhit N160, good speed, no pressure issues and most of all good barrel life.

52.5 of rs 60/rl17 works but if not n165 is accurate with a nice full case

Elwood is offline Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean to say they aren't trying to get me.
    I'm afraid the answer is H4831sc, there isn't a more suitable powder for this caliber. Out of the Vhit powders you have mentioned N165 Is your best bet, but you will struggle to get a velocity that this caliber is capable of.
    If it's a Shehane you should be looking for a velocity of 2930-2960 fps. Quite a few people use RL17 in the 284 W with good results but I don't know any using it in the Shehane.

PM me if you need anymore info
    God has a hard on for green rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    I'm afraid the answer is H4831sc, there isn't a more suitable powder for this caliber. Out of the Vhit powders you have mentioned N165 Is your best bet, but you will struggle to get a velocity that this caliber is capable of.
    If it's a Shehane you should be looking for a velocity of 2930-2960 fps. Quite a few people use RL17 in the 284 W with good results but I don't know any using it in the Shehane.

PM me if you need anymore info

both myself and a friend are using rs 60 /rl17 in shehane.down on speed by 100 fps but es are good and its accurate

Thanks gents, after looking at multitude of articles and forums it sounds like the overwhelming consensus is as Elwood says, use H4831sc rather than Viht.

I wanted to go for a Viht powder to keep cost down and for ease of availability, but if most people use H4831sc then there must be a good reason for it.

Anyhow, just took the plunge and ordered a few pots of H4831sc. Price of the stuff is eye watering compared to Viht powders and nearly twice what I paid for my Elcho 17. I'm too tight for this game really, archery has to be the way forward...

Quote Originally Posted by tesco.com View Post
    Thanks gents, after looking at multitude of articles and forums it sounds like the overwhelming consensus is as Elwood says, use H4831sc rather than Viht.

I wanted to go for a Viht powder to keep cost down and for ease of availability, but if most people use H4831sc then there must be a good reason for it.

Anyhow, just took the plunge and ordered a few pots of H4831sc. Price of the stuff is eye watering compared to Viht powders and nearly twice what I paid for my Elcho 17. I'm too tight for this game really, archery has to be the way forward...
    blimey the reason i have never tried 4831sc is because i could never get it ?????? even if you manage to get some how long till it runs dry and your back to the drawing board? good luck hope it works out.